Stena Takes Delivery Of Stena Estrid

17 minutes ago, jonno said:

Watching Edda steam up the Red Sea on AIS and her info reads "armed guards on board".😧

It was the same for her sister ship Estrid , they come on board off of Galle in Sri Lanka .

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alexander Panagopulos, whose father was the founder of Superfast and who was given responsibility for creating Superfast's corporate identity including the funnels (and was involved in all the design

An interesting encounter in Perama - image from Axilleas Tzathas on Shipfriends.gr https://www.shipfriends.gr/forum/gallery/image/82591-stena-superfast-xsuperfast-xikriti-iperama-1032020/

Stena Edda in Birkenhead. And POW in Liverpool.

Posted Images

Very wise.  (Even if it isn’t true, it’s worth broadcasting on the AIS transmission).  But actually having them on board is even better.

Norman Arrow, of course, never needed them - she just floored it through the area! 🤣

• Like 1

Edda seems to be taking a more leisurely delivery voyage  of  14 to 15 knots  compared to her sister ship Estrid  which took the same journey at 20 to 21 knots , would it be that Stena are taking the opportunity  of the delivery voyages to gauge fuel consumption at the different speeds over the same distance .

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

Edda seems to be taking a more leisurely delivery voyage  of  14 to 15 knots  compared to her sister ship Estrid  which took the same journey at 20 to 21 knots , would it be that Stena are taking the opportunity  of the delivery voyages to gauge fuel consumption at the different speeds over the same distance .

Possibly, they're all designed to travel at 18kts on the one engine/shaft with the other prop feathered.

4 hours ago, jonno said:

Watching Edda steam up the Red Sea on AIS and her info reads "armed guards on board".😧

My money would be on a group of well trained and disciplined vikings any day over a mob of drugged-up Somalis. Ed. 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

My money would be on a group of well trained and disciplined vikings any day over a mob of drugged-up Somalis. Ed. 

They also leave Russian vessels well alone after their encounter with Spetnaz troops, they hadn`t expected to meet..

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nick hall said:

Stena Edda in Birkenhead.

And POW in Liverpool.

Thanks Nick, nice view of the Welsh hills in the background too.

Has the pic been taken from the panoramic 34?

Edited by jonno
  • 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Interesting note at the end of that article about Stena Nordica:-

"On completion of these postings the Stena Nordica will transfer to the Baltic Sea to serve as a third vessel on the Karlskrona-Gdynia route, focusing on freight cargo."

The third vessel on that route is currently the Stena Baltica aka Cotentin, does that mean the Baltica is being returned to BF or moving to another Stena route?

1 hour ago, Timmy said:

Interesting note at the end of that article about Stena Nordica:-

The third vessel on that route is currently the Stena Baltica aka Cotentin, does that mean the Baltica is being returned to BF or moving to another Stena route?

In the regular Gdynia timetable she's the fourth vessel on the route rather than the third. For what they're worth the timetables for July onwards do show all four ships back in service again so perhaps it's just a mistake in the report.

Quite what the Nordica has been up to for the past few months, being chartered by the UK government to be laid up, is open to question but presumably another few hundred thousand safely banked by Stena for not much effort.

47 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

In the regular Gdynia timetable she's the fourth vessel on the route rather than the third. For what they're worth the timetables for July onwards do show all four ships back in service again so perhaps it's just a mistake in the report.

Quite what the Nordica has been up to for the past few months, being chartered by the UK government to be laid up, is open to question but presumably another few hundred thousand safely banked by Stena for not much effort.

We know Stena Baltica is returning to BF to replace Barfleur although I think the intention was for around 2023. There's talk that the route is desperate for more freight metres.

With their recent closures, could they be re directing traffic?

1 hour ago, jonno said:

We know Stena Baltica is returning to BF to replace Barfleur although I think the intention was for around 2023. There's talk that the route is desperate for more freight metres.

With their recent closures, could they be re directing traffic?

Desperate for freight metres? Doubtful with only one rotation per day.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting view in their annual report of the latest concept ship from Stena's technical division - like concept cars I imagine it will be much more conventional looking if/when it arrives and the battery power bit will be the thing that becomes the focus. 

The Stena Teknik projects page shows an alternative version of the ship without the external frills.

https://www.stenateknik.com/projects/

image.thumb.png.f6b7f51611e3448e6f6f53900ce454a0.png

https://www.stena.com/app/uploads/2020/05/Stena_Årsrapport_2019_ENG.pdf

For Stena Elektra, the aim for the vessel is to be able to cover 50 nautical miles on battery, which is the entire route between Göteborg and Frederikshavn. In the construction, we plan to use lightweight materials and to eliminate anything that is not necessary for the vessel's operation, in order to reduce the weight as far as possible. The vessel will also have a more flexible structure, so that this can be adjusted quickly, depending on the demand profile between cargo and passengers,” says Harry Robertsson.

Currently, Stena Elektra only exists as a futuristic model at Stena's head office, but according to Harry Robertsson, the aim for the vessel is to be delivered by no later than 2030. ”We would prefer it to be ready before then. But there are challenges, such as the required installation of a battery with a capacity of 70MWh, to be able to sail to Frederikshavn where it needs to be charged for the return crossing,” says Harry Robertsson. So far, battery operation has been tested on Stena Line’s vessel, Stena Jutlandica. One result of the successful installation is that large batteries onboard vessels will be more and more customary in the future. How they are arranged and connected to the vessel's energy system will vary according to where and how the vessel operates. Installation of batteries is now being assessed for both new orders and existing vessels in Stena's fleet.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2020 at 06:41, hhvferry said:

I remember Superfast IX and X on the Rosyth-Zeebrugge line. We loved that crossing, especially with small children; there's no way we could have contemplated going from Glasgow to Annecy with a 3 year old and an 8 month old if we had had to drive to the south of England. Fortunately that only time I was parked on an open deck was on our way home one year so I was able to wash the salt off as soon as we had emptied the car (actually, I think my in-laws came that evening to see the children and my father-in-law washed it for me!).