Connemara maiden arrival in Portsmouth

Portsmouth International Port welcomed Brittany Ferries’ Connemara for the first time on Sunday 17 November, which had sailed from Santander in northern Spain. To commemorate this inaugural visit, Harbour master Ben McInnes exchanged official plaques with the captain of the Connemara, François Le Breton, on the ship’s bridge.

Mike Sellers, port director said: “I’m delighted to welcome Connemara to Portsmouth for the first time, and am looking forward to January when she will start operating the popular Portsmouth – Le Havre route. With their recent contract extension committing them to the port until 2032 this long-term reassurance from Brittany Ferries means the city's residents benefit from a thriving municipal port, which contributes nearly £8m to the council's budget.”

Graham Boyes, Brittany Ferries’ Portsmouth port operations manager said: “We’re really pleased to welcome another member of our fleet to Portsmouth International Port for the first time. Connemara adds both capacity and flexibility to our routes from Portsmouth to France and Spain, benefiting both our passengers and freight customers. She’ll be the first of several new Brittany Ferries vessels to make Portsmouth their homeport in the months and years to come as part of our €550 fleet renewal programme.”

Connemara is the vanguard of a wave of Brittany Ferries vessels which will arrive over the next four years as part of a their extensive fleet renewal programme. Honfleur, powered by liquefied natural gas, will be delivered from the German FSG shipyard in 2020 and will serve the Portsmouth to Caen route. She will then be followed by three brand new ‘E-Flexer’ class ships to serve longhaul UK to Spain routes: Galicia in late 2020, Salamanca in 2022, and Santoña in 2023.

IMAGE: There was another new arrival in Portsmouth Harbour this weekend - we welcomed Brittany Ferries' Connemara to the port for the first time! Harbour master Ben McInnes was on hand to welcome her and exchange plaques with Captain François Le Breton.

https://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/news/connemara-makes-her-inaugural-visit-to-portsmouth?fbclid=IwAR0zyKgwme1KjESaBV68fKu0fBjtItb0zxLI6m2uFoX-l5dNcWGIl2eEUos

76676828_2546482608798163_3741242060452134912_o.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

She’ll be the first of several new Brittany Ferries vessels to make Portsmouth their homeport in the months and years to come as part of our €550 fleet renewal programme.”

Presumably Tony you forgot to put "€550 (sic) fleet...". Unless of course they have ordered a batch of pedalos!  😉 Ed. 

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Portsmouth International Port welcomed Brittany Ferries’ Connemara for the first time on Sunday 17 November, which had sailed from Santander in northern Spain. To commemorate this inaugural visit, Harbour master Ben McInnes exchanged official plaques with the captain of the Connemara, François Le Breton, on the ship’s bridge.

Mike Sellers, port director said: “I’m delighted to welcome Connemara to Portsmouth for the first time, and am looking forward to January when she will start operating the popular Portsmouth – Le Havre route. With their recent contract extension committing them to the port until 2032 this long-term reassurance from Brittany Ferries means the city's residents benefit from a thriving municipal port, which contributes nearly £8m to the council's budget.”

Graham Boyes, Brittany Ferries’ Portsmouth port operations manager said: “We’re really pleased to welcome another member of our fleet to Portsmouth International Port for the first time. Connemara adds both capacity and flexibility to our routes from Portsmouth to France and Spain, benefiting both our passengers and freight customers. She’ll be the first of several new Brittany Ferries vessels to make Portsmouth their homeport in the months and years to come as part of our €550 fleet renewal programme.”

Connemara is the vanguard of a wave of Brittany Ferries vessels which will arrive over the next four years as part of a their extensive fleet renewal programme. Honfleur, powered by liquefied natural gas, will be delivered from the German FSG shipyard in 2020 and will serve the Portsmouth to Caen route. She will then be followed by three brand new ‘E-Flexer’ class ships to serve longhaul UK to Spain routes: Galicia in late 2020, Salamanca in 2022, and Santoña in 2023.

IMAGE: There was another new arrival in Portsmouth Harbour this weekend - we welcomed Brittany Ferries' Connemara to the port for the first time! Harbour master Ben McInnes was on hand to welcome her and exchange plaques with Captain François Le Breton.

https://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/news/connemara-makes-her-inaugural-visit-to-portsmouth?fbclid=IwAR0zyKgwme1KjESaBV68fKu0fBjtItb0zxLI6m2uFoX-l5dNcWGIl2eEUos

76676828_2546482608798163_3741242060452134912_o.jpg

Is it me or are the Commandants getting younger??...This one looks like he`s just left school especially with that hair!!

• Haha 2
50 minutes ago, Paully said:

Is it me or are the Commandants getting younger??...This one looks like he`s just left school especially with that hair!!

I suspect it may be the rest of us getting older, @Paully. I find myself often having a mild initial panic when I see the age of those flying planes etc, no reflection on them - more on myself as I mourn the passing of time...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jim said:

As has been pointed out elsewhere on Twitter - not strictly the first call for the vessel who first arrived as Norman Asturias for LD Lines.

I certainly don't recall Norman Asturias ever calling at Portsmouth before, Poole, yes, but not Portsmouth. Norman Voyager (Etretat) did for LD Lines.

2 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I certainly don't recall Norman Asturias ever calling at Portsmouth before, Poole, yes, but not Portsmouth. Norman Voyager (Etretat) did for LD Lines.

When she was the Asturius, she would be a regular sight moored out in the bay on, think it was Tuesday and Saturday mornings waiting for the berth to clear in Poole.  Voyager did the berthing trials in Poole, remember HT getting himself very over excited...😄  She did the berthing trials for the Asturius.

23 minutes ago, Khaines said:

When she was the Asturius, she would be a regular sight moored out in the bay on, think it was Tuesday and Saturday mornings waiting for the berth to clear in Poole.  Voyager did the berthing trials in Poole, remember HT getting himself very over excited...😄  She did the berthing trials for the Asturius.

Yes, I remember that. Norman Spirit was a regular in Portsmouth for LD Lines, she then moved to Dover and was replaced by Norman Voyager in Portsmouth.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Yes, I remember that. Norman Spirit was a regular in Portsmouth for LD Lines, she then moved to Dover and was replaced by Norman Voyager in Portsmouth.

I saw the Spirit in Dover when I went to visit Barf.  Got some pics somewhere she was docked in the next berth to us.

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Norman Asturias docked in Portsmouth on her first scheduled visit to Poole, as she was running late and the berth was occupied by Barfleur. Was discussed from bottom of page 6 when it happened at the time.

12 minutes ago, brianeccleston said:

Norman Asturias docked in Portsmouth on her first scheduled visit to Poole, as she was running late and the berth was occupied by Barfleur. Was discussed from bottom of page 6 when it happened at the time.

That makes sense, so it was an unscheduled call, a one-off?

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

He's got his coffee machine strapped down I see. What intrigues me is what could possibly be in the cardboard box marked 'Isabelle'! Ed. 

The mind boggles 🤣😉...

Edited by Paully
2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

That makes sense, so it was an unscheduled call, a one-off?

According to a post on Facebook group Ferries it was the 5th November 2013 and she was diverted due to bad weather as well as Barfleur being in port at the time.  The post is via a very good source..🙂