Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Shared Cabins

In case anyone might be interested, DFDS from Newhaven to Dieppe are now selling bunks in shared cabins. They make it very clear that they will be single-sex cabins only and are pricing each berth at £10 or €12. Ed. 

Odd..Its only a 4 hour crossing unless its aimed at HGV drivers..At least you won`t have to stand the collective snoring for too long though😁

6 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Can't see the point for a 4 hour crossing, your guaranteed NOT to get a good nights sleep.

I've been on one of those overnight that was delayed from an evening crossing.  Didn't have a cabin and spent the 4 hours trying to sleep in a recliner with people slamming the toilet doors every 5 minutes.  What I would have given for a berth in a shared cabin!

• Like 1

I have shared cabins on trains - they used to call them couchettes - the top bunk is best, but all of them are better than an overnight seat.

IMG_0861.JPG

52 minutes ago, wortley said:

I have shared cabins on trains - they used to call them couchettes - the top bunk is best, but all of them are better than an overnight seat.

IMG_0861.JPG

What was the snoring like though?

13 minutes ago, Paully said:

What was the snoring like though?

Doesn’t look like there’s enough space for snoring! 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Doesn’t look like there’s enough space for snoring! 🤣

I'd never get in one of them being a tad expansive in the midriff. I've heard of a deckhead survey but that's pushing it a bit!

Perhaps they move up and down on runners once you are in. I don't quite see how it's physically possible to enter the middle bunk without some sort of Fosbury flop and for that you need a decent run-up. Ed. 

• Haha 1

The Japanese have been doing communal sleeping for years but it doesn't really seem to have caught on over here.  if I remember correctly, one of Stena's chartered ships from Asian waters is coming back to Europe soon and will need to be reorganised internally to make it more appropriate for our needs. Ed. 

The Royal Navy and deep sea trawlers used to have accomodation along those lines...The Navy still has, to a degree...Apparantly passing wind is and always was frowned upon 🤣.....The merchant fleets were always a bit more civilised...sometimes

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The Japanese have been doing communal sleeping for years but it doesn't really seem to have caught on over here.  if I remember correctly, one of Stena's chartered ships from Asian waters is coming back to Europe soon and will need to be reorganised internally to make it more appropriate for our needs. Ed. 

The P&O Hull Ferries have shared dorms it’s about £34 for a berth.

Yes,  I think the old P&O ferry from Portsmouth to Le Havre also had couchette-style sleeping down in the bowels of the ship near the pool. Perhaps it's something particular to P&O. Ed. 

9 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The P&O Hull Ferries have shared dorms it’s about £34 for a berth.

Makes BF prices for exclusive use of a cabin look positively attractive!

BCIF and Condor Ferries (until the early noughties) offered a berth in a shared cabin. Wish they did again, as it would save a single traveller an awful lot of money.

Edited by Nick Hyde

Railway companies have forever been eager to squeeze in more berths to sleeping coaches. Perhaps the most extreme I've seen were SNCF's 'Cabine 8's which were 8 berth compartments with four berths on either side arranged in a non-flat but theoretically comfortable position, and the arrangement of berths was alternated, so each was "face to backside" as it were. There was no supplement to use these and reservation fees were waived for inter-railers so one night in the summer of 1994 when we couldn't afford a hostel or hotel in Paris we took a round trip using them on the Paris-Strasbourg sleeper, getting off at Bar-le-Duc where we jumped on the inbound train on the opposite itinerary (the timetable suggests we had 0304 to 0324 to effect our change of train; I'm sure our messing about with rucksacks and squeezing in and out of these berths in shared compartments made us popular with recumbent fellow travellers).

This image from trains-en-voyage.com gives an indication of what they were like; it should come as no surprise that they weren't really very popular.

http://www.trains-en-voyage.com/dossiers/materiel_roulant/voitures/voitures_vu_couchettes_et_vu_cabines_8-bc10ux_ac9ux_acbcux_b12u.htm

image.thumb.jpeg.5dc3974b0c3089d35ac0ffbe30f39909.jpeg

image.jpeg.dbd1de98d6c3924f896141d89875e185.jpeg

Edited by hhvferry
  • Thanks 1

On 21/11/2019 at 10:26, Paully said:

IMG_0861.JPG

These “cabins” are typical warship accommodation (Secured for action)

(Looking at the pic I’d guess It was T22, T23, T42 or amphibious assault ships)