Fine Whine

PIP Berth 2 Extension work

Coming out of Portsmouth on Wednesday I noticed a hive of activity, cranes, barges and general mess at berth 2. This is the planned extension and levelling allowing cruise ships up to 255m to use it; sounds as though the council are aiming to pinch more trade from Southampton. The £33.7m total cost will also finally allow the passenger boarding tower to be replaced, very long overdue as it’s an embarrassment!

Chris

46E293E6-5FCF-4E7C-83B1-60AD1497F06B.jpeg

7A1E2349-ADDA-46CD-BCD3-F4519225C3BC.jpeg

65D43F01-A6A4-4EAB-B16B-596F0BFB0925.jpeg

4AAA5125-AFBE-45C2-83D0-A6262C5BB09C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chris.  Presumably there are no plans to make it twin-level loading (?).  PIP doesn’t really need a third one of those.

7 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Not unless the port can entice any twin loading cruise ships......:)

Chris

Very funny! 🙄

PIP2 is used for ferries as well, but not much, and not by any that would benefit from twin loading. 😉

From Portsmouth International Port;

"Great to see work underway on our cruise berth extension and levelling project. We're looking forward to working with contractors Knights Brown over the coming months on this scheme, which will allow cruise ships up to 255m long to berth at the port."

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 2

Berth 2 was lengthened by 50m to 240m by Trant in 2012 so for me a further 15m in just 7 years is significant, together with the levelling and terminal improvements planned the port are taking cruise traffic very seriously. It's dredged to 7m, I wonder if it'll need to be a little deeper?

Berth 1 has a depth of 5m and is armoured specifically for HSC's.

I've been lead to believe that further dolphin or mooring post is also to be built in time for the E Flexers as currently 3 & 4 can serve ships 205m long (7m).

In connection to the ongoing Condor thread & future tonnage discussion, berth 5 at Portsmouth has a 150m capacity and is dredged half a metre shallower at 6.5m.

Just for info...

The port operates an open policy meaning that no berth is specific to any company, their use is defined by time allocated slots. The longer they remain the more the operator pays.

• Like 3

Sincerely hope the company make a better job of time keeping that they have achieved demolishing a Railway bridge and rebuilding to new design (saving the odd Double Decker from converting to an open topper) at Alton on the Watercress (Mid Hants Line). Company took possession in January and scheduled finish was early August, we are still awaiting hand over, it has certainly screwed up the season with only being able to run from Alresford to Medstead.

• Sad 1

On 23/11/2019 at 12:01, Fine Whine said:

Coming out of Portsmouth on Wednesday I noticed a hive of activity, cranes, barges and general mess at berth 2. This is the planned extension and levelling allowing cruise ships up to 255m to use it; sounds as though the council are aiming to pinch more trade from Southampton. The £33.7m total cost will also finally allow the passenger boarding tower to be replaced, very long overdue as it’s an embarrassment!

Chris

That is one sexy crawler crane :)

On 23/11/2019 at 12:01, Fine Whine said:

Chris

Nice pics Chris!
But if that is a disgrace, what is the one in Plymouth?! The Plymouth passenger tower/gangway one was introduced just before Bretagne was launched!

I hope they do something to improve the traffic management on the port if they are going to have greater passenger ship throughput. It can already get chaotic when vehicles are queuing to get off the ferry, and then off the quayside, whilst others are being sent across this flow to wait to board the ferry, thus holding up the whole process, although BF obviously has to get as many new passengers processed and ready to board as possible as soon as possible in order for the ship to leave at its allotted time. I pity the poor marshals trying their best to keep it all going 

"More pictures from Portsmouth City Council's project manager Anisa of the cruise berth extension project. With almost all the fenders removed, the Knights Brown team have started preparing for the concrete cap demolition. We've also got the largest hammer in the UK working on the piling."

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1

Certainly giving the PA some work - she had to leave PIP both Wed and Thurs to allow the Cap to berth.

Looked like they were preparing to put in a pile as we left

Big Hammer.jpg

Piles.jpg

36 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Certainly giving the PA some work - she had to leave PIP both Wed and Thurs to allow the Cap to berth.

Looked like they were preparing to put in a pile as we left

Big Hammer.jpg

Piles.jpg

That is one sexy crawler crane :) 

I can feel hf_uk getting the shakes at that last image...🤣

Chris

• Haha 1

`Do you think they'll have the passenger tower replaced by June? Might be headed out via PIP that month.

On 05/12/2019 at 20:32, The Ferry Man said:

You'll find that Pont-Aven left on Wednesday to allow Mont St Michel to use Berth 4, Cap Finistere was already in on Berth 3. I don't recall Pont-Aven being in on Thursday.

12 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I don't recall Pont-Aven being in on Thursday.

Correct.  On the current schedules, PA is in St Malo on Thursdays.

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Correct.  On the current schedules, PA is in St Malo on Thursdays.

Well something Pont-Aven-like passed us off Portsmouth Thursday morning ;)

though it may have been strike related maybe?

DSCN0738.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am sure that TFM meant Friday.  Yes, it’s a juggling act for BF when a berth is out of action. 

2 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Well something Pont-Aven-like passed us off Portsmouth Thursday morning ;)

though it may have been strike related maybe?

DSCN0738.JPG

That’s true - strike may be the explanation.

Colin was supposed to have been on her on Thursday but I think the trip was delayed by 24 hours as so she may well have been in or around Portsmouth at an unusual time on that day. Ed. 

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I am sure that TFM meant Friday.  Yes, it’s a juggling act for BF when a berth is out of action. 

Defintley - Thursday morning - My Thurs overnight from LH was cancelled because of the strike.

I know PA left Wed after CF arrived lunchtime, allowing MSM to berth, as Tony said. we left followed by MSM, and PA passed us going back into PIP. Following morning we passed PA in the entrance channel off Southsea. So couldn't have been a St Malo crossing Wed night - not enough time.

• Like 1

Pont Aven vacated the berth and stooged waiting till Thursday evening to load and sail, turning round in St Malo for 10:30 departure, arrived Pompey 18:15, and left again at 20:15. All strike related. My return tonight has been diverted to Cherbourg due to weather (come back Joseph Hardouin...). The "cut off" is generally any north in the wind and gusts over 40 knots. PA is longer and a tad harder to berth at St Malo, but I think there is every chance the wind will be OK in the morning. Understand though that risks cannot be taken, and having turned round about 50m from the quay in st Malo and retreated to Cherbourg, I know these decisions are not easy.

10 minutes ago, colin said:

I know these decisions are not easy.

Indeed.  Nor are they an exact science.  Every situation is different and the same combination of factors rarely occurs twice.

Southampton wants to take more of the very large Cruise liners and Portsmouth is happy to take the smaller liners off their hands i have heard we could even take ships the size of the Oriana and similar sized ships at PIP on the extended berth 2

Edited by Stefeni