jamie

Windows 10

Can anyone please help.

is there any way to see if my pc will run windows 10 as I have not got a clue on what I’m looking for.

Microsoft used to have a system scanner on their website that would test your PC for compatibility with Windows versions. It may still exist. Meanwhile take a look at this 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications&ved=2ahUKEwigibKMhYPmAhVLzRoKHf5BALQQFjAHegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1H5mrUrOLF5iufi1g8PTsR

Ed

I've never gone anywhere near Apple. Never had an issue with windows right back to NT, '95. I used their Direct3D & vector graphics for years.

5 hours ago, jamie said:

Can anyone please help.

is there any way to see if my pc will run windows 10 as I have not got a clue on what I’m looking for.

Firstly, what are the specs of your PC?

The recommended minimum for Windows 10 is 8GB RAM, separate graphics card, 2.3 gig dual core processor and around 350 GB's of free hard drive space.

Your windows folders in your program files will tell you what you have on board.

They tell you now that Windows 10 actually needs 8GB just to update..Some laptops can`t handle it and seize up constantly trying to update..I`ve just bought a new Chromebook with OS as the operating system..Does me fine..Had the grandkids glued to Netflix cartoons all afternoon..Bliss..Although you know you`re old when your 7 year old Granddaughter knows quicker than you how to set it all up !!

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Why oh why would you want windows 10 ? It’s awful.

Just gotta say... I've got a Dell desktop and Dell Laptop, both with windows 10 and never had an issue with either. Just keep it simple, use the on board windows defender as your anti virus and do not download a bunch of dodgy programs you do not need. Norton etc are just virus infected anti virus programs!

1 minute ago, Danim24 said:

Just gotta say... I've got a Dell desktop and Dell Laptop, both with windows 10 and never had an issue with either. Just keep it simple, use the on board windows defender as your anti virus and do not download a bunch of dodgy programs you do not need. Norton etc are just virus infected anti virus programs!

I haven’t downloaded anything I just use it for word and excel documents, I just think it’s a badly designed bit of software.

7 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

Norton etc are just virus infected anti virus programs!

That’s quite a revelation / allegation.  I’d be interested in whether there’s a consensus view that this is a correct statement of fact.  

(My annual Norton subscription (which I’ve used for well over a decade) is coming up for renewal soon.  If it’s, at best a waste of money, and at worst a danger to my computers, I’d be interested to hear more).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That’s quite a revelation / allegation.  I’d be interested in whether there’s a consensus view that this is a correct statement of fact.  

(My annual Norton subscription (which I’ve used for well over a decade) is coming up for renewal soon.  If it’s, at best a waste of money, and at worst a danger to my computers, I’d be interested to hear more).

I think I would be hard pushed to prove it as a statement of fact. I'm no PC expert but know a few who believe that they are, and the consensus is that Defender is absolutely fine for the general PC user. See this video as an example, skip to 3:30 for the synopsis. Like I said (touch wood) I've not had any issues on my PC's and not had to fork out on Norton etc. It is worth noting that 'they do' slow down your PC, as also pointed out in the video. But, of course, it up to the individual as you'll also be able to find plenty of advice stating you should have an additional antivirus. 

If your PC does not have Windows 10 at present, I do not see any point in purchasing a license for an old machine.

It was introduced as a free upgrade from Windows 7, however that is not possible anymore. The best solution is to use your existing hardware with your existing operating system.as that will work ok.

At the point that you decide to get an upgrade of machine ,make sure you get Windows 10 - if you don't want a cheapo PC, there are some very good deals on second hand cooperate PCs with Windows 10.

The advantage of Windows 10 is that you get free upgrades for the life of the PC.

PS I find the free Windows Antivirus more than sufficient for a home PC.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

Re Norton:  Whether it’s strictly needed and whether it is harmful are two completely different questions.  The suggestion that it is “virus-infected” is a serious one that could do with either validating or retracting.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

I've never heard or read anything to suggest that the likes of Norton, Mcaffee or Kapersky are dangerous but I'd say that they're not worth your hard earned cash. Windows Defender is more than enough and a full scan has proven on some bench tests to do a better job. Added trial software leading to subscription is one of the worst offenders for slowing your laptop or desktop down... especially Norton 365. If you just add the defender icon to the desktop apps rather than the taskbar you can keep a handy eye on it as well so you can run your own scans independently to those it already performs.

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I haven’t downloaded anything I just use it for word and excel documents, I just think it’s a badly designed bit of software.

Once I set the desktop up to suit and other subtle changes I found I whizzed through stuff, it did take me a while to get around Windows 8 when launched.

I use Android too on my tablet but that's mainly when I'm sitting on a train, I just won't buy Apple as ASUS and Huawei make arguably better tablets for half the price.

My phone and Lenova Yoga use windows as when I write I can save it to the one drive and revisit it whenever plus I can network the yoga to the PC at home if I'm lying in bed and a chapter idea jumps into my murky little mind...

I think the newer Office subscription is a bit of a swizz but again I just delete the trial and use my old version, it'll convert to PDF so I don't really need much else.

• Like 2

Ok, I may have been over zealous with my choice of words, but Jonno has just written an excellent explanation of what I was probably trying to say. Although, some may suggest the level of intrusion that McAfee/Norton run through your PC can also be over zealous. Of course, this may have changed as I came away from third party antivirus providers some years ago (after my Packard Bell died whilst being "protected" by Norton). You can only go by experience and advice given! If you do your research, there is a mass of opinion (and to a certain degree, evidence) out there and you could still be non the wiser after spending hours reading. My Dells on windows 10 with defender are fine and it doesn't cost me a dime.

Back to the topic - I've customised my Windows 10 and love it. With a little effort you can get it looking pretty much like older versions of windows, it runs much slicker, granted we now have bigger processors and bigger RAM, but it is no where near as clunky as XP and much less prone to errors. I stick mainly to Microsoft products including Office 365 and outlook etc. Onedrive (I think I get 1TB of storage with 365 subscrition) is also really good these days, and as Jonno stated, documents save as you write. I also can access and edit Onedrive, Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint from my Android phone and on my (soon to be ditched) iPad.

Edited by Danim24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gareth said:

Re Norton, that is fine but unnecessary, however the Americans and a number of companies did ban Kaspersky software due to it's links to Russia.

I believe that Windows Defender is more than adequate for home use.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that Norton and Windows Defender are not mutually exclusive.  You can run both, for double protection.

I believe that Windows Defender is more than adequate for home use.

Rather a general statement there. Some home users make only light use of the internet whilst others are much more intensive users and more likely to encounter viruses and other threats. I have been using Norton as long as I can get the discounted version which covers five devices for £29.99. £6 per annum per device is probably not bad value given that Norton provides more extensive protection and facilities than Defender. At the moment I use it on 4 devices.

• Like 1

It all comes down to personal perference really. I was put off McAfee as it often comes pre loaded on a new device and is a so & so to totally remove. I don't like that on principle.

Norton like to auto update you at full price if they can get away with it but seem to have backed off from that this year and you can turn auto update off anyway if you remember to do so.

Obviously the vital thing is to have protection of some kind though.

Agree with all of that Colin.  I always go for Norton too, and find it good value if you remember to shop around and get a new product key from Amazon each year.  Auto Renew is rarely cost-effective.  And absolutely, pre-loading of McAfee is something I have an automatic aversion to on principle.

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Agree with all of that Colin.  I always go for Norton too, and find it good value if you remember to shop around and get a new product key from Amazon each year.  Auto Renew is rarely cost-effective.  And absolutely, pre-loading of McAfee is something I have an automatic aversion to on principle.

I have never had pre loaded anti virus software on any laptop or notebook - I reviewed different software protection and McAfee seemed to cover my requirements so have stuck with them over the years. I have thought about trying Norton but cant see the point while McAfee suits my needs. Also it seems to me it is a bit like changing your Bankers or credit cards on a regular basis which many people do but I don't - A generation thing perhaps.

I agree - I've had the same bank account since I was 13.  I also don't get the changing energy provider thing - if you keep changing for the sake of it you eventually just get back where you started and how has that helped anything!  Insurance, yes, because they always fleece existing customers in favour of discounting new ones.  But energy switching for the sake of it I don't get.  However, I am straying somewhat from Windows 10!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

I agree - I've had the same bank account since I was 13.  I also don't get the changing energy provider thing - if you keep changing for the sake of it you eventually just get back where you started and how has that helped anything!  Insurance, yes, because they always fleece existing customers in favour of discounting new ones.  But energy switching for the sake of it I don't get.  However, I am straying somewhat from Windows 10!

Energy providers - they hover around in town centres, people with tablets approaching members of the public asking you if you could answer a ‘few questions’.  I don’t like the idea of giving strangers in the street my personal information which they then type into their tablets in front of you.  I have sat nearby in Poole recently, after saying no to one, and watched the amount of people who stop for them and watch them deep in discussion, while these agents type stuff in.  Who knows in this day and age where that information ends up.  I just do not trust these companies not to sell your details on.