jamie

Windows 10

Could I just add a recommendation for Chromebook? When my Windows 7 netbook died last year I decided to give it a try and am a complete convert. It is compatible with all the Microsoft programmes I use. Also when the netbook gave up I salvaged the HDD and with a £5.75 caddy ended up with a nice external drive as well. 

• Like 1

Been looking at the spec of my laptop.

if I replace the ram cards that is recommended on crucial and put a ssd in will I not need to replace the processor?

BF759A67-0B22-4F50-B431-1D5AAECEA8A0.jpeg

It all depends what you're actually trying to achieve here as to what you 'need'. Assuming you're planning to increase the amount of RAM (rather than replace like for like with higher spec), between that and the increased speed of an SSD disk you should see some general improvement in performance.

There are a number of bottlenecks in a PC, it depends on how old it is. It is often better to get a new one as just replacing a component or two may not help a lot. I am also not sure how easy Windows 10 is with a disk swap. Adding 4gb of memory may not help a lot - it depends on how intensive your apps are.

Dell have loads of decent price deals, I agree that an SSD or a hybrid disk is useful.

If you have been installing a number of apps & the machine is slowing down a reinstall of Windows (it is an option somewhere) will speed it up and a defrag of the hard disk will sometimes help as well.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

Windows 11 Pro out on July 29th! :)  Thankfully not just endless feature updates to Windows 10 for another year...

(Just read David Williams comment... yes agreed - the best performance upgrade you can get by a mile is to run your operating system of an SSD. It's a no brainer these days. I literally cringe when I have to use a machine with a spinning disk as the main drive these days)...

Edited by hf_uk

Don't defrag any SSD. Win 10 still refers to it and needs to be selected off. Samsung SSDs have all the info included to clone the working system over to the SSD.

Strip out as much rubbish as you can (try "PC Decrapifier " or do it manually thru "CC cleaner") and it will run pretty well. Only annoying thing is MS updates that try their best to not allow non MS software to run.

I've got some old RAM cards that might help you to increase the ram but older 'putters don't generally have enough slots. 

Win 10 home stripped of rubbish and no games will run on less than 80GB if you try.

Stu

If I turn my pc on with the new ssd in and my copy of windows in the USB port will it automatically change the bios settings?

i rebuilt my old desktop many moons ago and I can’t remember what to do.

On 05/01/2020 at 15:52, jamie said:

Been looking at the spec of my laptop.

if I replace the ram cards that is recommended on crucial and put a ssd in will I not need to replace the processor?

BF759A67-0B22-4F50-B431-1D5AAECEA8A0.jpeg

I'd get a new one. A new SSD will only go so far. With new Ryzen laptops on the market it's a good time to buy.

On 08/01/2020 at 19:15, scarlton said:

I'd get a new one. A new SSD will only go so far. With new Ryzen laptops on the market it's a good time to buy.

I'd be inclined to agree - if you reach the point you're thinking of replacing multiple components, you might as well stump up the difference and buy something new.

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

if you reach the point you're thinking of replacing multiple components, you might as well stump up the difference and buy something new.

Does that apply to ferries too! Ed

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Does that apply to ferries too! Ed

Applies to many things - there's a point where rather than throw money at a problem it's easier just to give up.

RIP Jim's Ford Mondeo 2007 - 2012. 

8 hours ago, Jim said:

I'd be inclined to agree - if you reach the point you're thinking of replacing multiple components, you might as well stump up the difference and buy something new.

8 hours ago, Jim said:

Applies to many things - there's a point where rather than throw money at a problem it's easier just to give up.

RIP Jim's Ford Mondeo 2007 - 2012. 

I don’t want to spend too much money as I tend to use my iPad these days.

jim your Mondingo as we call them in the ford dealer network , what went wrong with it? As that year range was nearly impossible to kill👌😳

13 minutes ago, jamie said:

jim your Mondingo as we call them in the ford dealer network , what went wrong with it? As that year range was nearly impossible to kill👌😳

Twas actually a 2003 MK3 2.0 TDCI Ghia X, I just bought it in 2007... It reached the ripe old mileage of 135k before enough was enough... that included several jaunts to and from Budapest (where both the clutch plate and clutch itself were replaced - the latter just because of the amount of effort needed to get to the plate meant it might as well be done at the same time. Ended up being done in a garage a bloke ran from his basement)... Rewelds of the rear suspension bushes, a couple of cracked turbo pipes, replacement exhaust, it ate tyres (I'm sure the GPS recorded 143mph on the autobahn had nothing to do with that)... and in the end injector number 3 blew up pulling on to the M3.

Ironically, the subsequent Fiat was the most reliable car I've owned (thought touchwood the 2019 RAV4 is doing ok so far)