Sign in to follow this  
Fine Whine

Connemara maiden arrival in Poole

So as flagged up in a previous thread we tried out Connemara on her inaugural commercial visit to Poole in BF colours. We had already received texts, emails and a missed call to inform us she was delayed leaving Portsmouth earlier, well done BF customer service team. She eventually docked at 18h00, we were on board by 19h15 and left 30 minutes later, loading slow as freight went on deck 3 first and had to execute a 180 degree turn before parking.

The reversible escalator to deck 5 is great, especially old codgers like me with dodgy new knees. Having experienced Etretat, Epsilon and Stena Horizon it was as I expected, just another Visentini with lots of glass, stainless steel and easy maintenance flooring. Cabins are spacious and comfortable, self service restaurant on the starboard side of deck 5 small but there is definitely a BF touch. There was a delicious rib of beef on offer all 3 of us chose, vegetables hot but CV discount didn’t apply. 

Crossing smooth and pretty quick but again as I expected docking/unloading took over an hour so almost midnight before through customs, 01h30 this morning back in Emsworth with M27 closed for night works (again).

I’ve attached a few photos, passengers are part of my group so I didn’t need their permission. It does make you appreciate the effort BF make when designing and fitting out their own vessels, come back Barfleur, all is forgiven...!

Chris

51A54B33-9741-419A-9C49-6F9EABB5035C.jpeg

D4E75644-C8E6-4B75-A82F-C4BEB82F5D16.jpeg

5B0C1220-304C-4BD9-87EE-CB75ED0C36F6.jpeg

B72CD021-45B7-4BC9-8916-892CED955DB7.jpeg

EF7E22F3-6157-4B2B-8DDA-599766255ABF.jpeg

74339168-D538-4A94-A7CC-D98A66FEBC0E.jpeg

3C1AD6DE-D045-435F-A598-55C1437954B6.jpeg

0117B72A-2DFA-408E-944C-DE5E9CEF43AF.jpeg

28453464-C3A7-4344-AB59-EB14802F48D8.jpeg

1C360142-0536-4C2F-85EE-B99B0920E782.jpeg

7CA123AD-FB57-44F8-B529-4E9F1AB3A6BF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, scarlton said:

As long as it's working..

The one at John Lewis In Edinburgh wasn’t working the other week it was absolute carnage for the blue rinse brigade, to be fair though it’s surprisingly confusing to have to walk up a non moving escalator. 

Edited by neilcvx

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The one at John Lewis In Edinburgh wasn’t working the other week it was absolute carnage for the blue rinse brigade, to be fair though it’s surprisingly confusing to have to walk up a non moving escalator. 

You always misjudge the first step and then it takes about 5 more to adjust to the increasing heights. Very inelegant. Ed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

I often find it is walking DOWN them that is strange, it looks like a kind of optical illusion...

Very interesting report Chris, thanks.

In terms of the thread title, maiden arrival as Connemara but, of course, not the first visit of the ship to Poole.

12 hours ago, neilcvx said:

It reminds me of an old 80’s shopping centre , it doesn’t make me want to sail on her it would be a last resort .

Yes cosmetically they are on the cheaper side but they look like the purpose they were built for and were a step change in terms of what truck drivers had been offered previously. They were never intended to be a full time passenger focused carrier in the same way as say Normandie or MSM.

If BF invested in a couple and sent them along to beauty school I have a feeling they'd prove popular as the hull form, seaboard etc means they are a fuel efficient and stable vessel... Epsilon proved this when stranded in the Irish Sea as the heel angle's she was reaching were beyond what many vessels can recover from.

The newer design such as Kerry are now beginning to become available at very reasonable cost, two fitted out similarly to Armorique would be valuable utility craft for BF capable of berthing at all of the ports they serve.

• Like 1

I agree that they provide a very comfortable and stable service. In fact I think I had one of my best night's sleep ever on a ferry on Norman Voyager (Etretat) with LD Lines. I wouldn't want to take the Cabin Kids on her for a day crossing however given the lack of facilities. And that's what I can't accept with BF. The price of a crossing now should be significantly cheaper than it is (I can check back to see how much I paid with LD Lines if necessary) as nothing is really that different on board, except the crew's nationality perhaps, and I don't think that matters much when you are fast asleep. Ed. 

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

In terms of the thread title, maiden arrival as Connemara but, of course, not the first visit of the ship to Poole.

Which is why I qualified the first line with « 1st time in BF colours »

Visentinis do what they say on the label and on a scale of 1-5 they get a maximum 3 from me, and that’s when I’m feeling generous. I thought the French crew on Connemara were jolly and smiley, more than can be said of other nationalities employed by the competition (just a personal observation).

I generally find the ships quiet, once you wind them up and point them in the right direction they tend to purr along although turn on the bow thrusters and it all becomes very shaky. We had a 4 berth outside cabin on deck 7, were somewhat dismayed to find 2 cabins along owners had left their mutt in a pet-friendly one, and mutt was non too happy about the whole affair. The lack of carpets accentuates any noise and it sounded as though we were in trouble but they returned just after us and from then on not a whimper.

One final photo showing deck 3, a mix of freight and cars , but you can understand the time it takes to carefully reverse each articinto position. There were at least 30 vehicle seats on the open deck 5, goodness knows what time they made it home...

Chris

AEFA1D53-9234-41ED-882B-D59581D6EE6B.jpeg

• Like 3

On 25/11/2019 at 19:21, Fine Whine said:

So as flagged up in a previous thread we tried out Connemara on her inaugural commercial visit to Poole in BF colours. We had already received texts, emails and a missed call to inform us she was delayed leaving Portsmouth earlier, well done BF customer service team. She eventually docked at 18h00, we were on board by 19h15 and left 30 minutes later, loading slow as freight went on deck 3 first and had to execute a 180 degree turn before parking.

The reversible escalator to deck 5 is great, especially old codgers like me with dodgy new knees. Having experienced Etretat, Epsilon and Stena Horizon it was as I expected, just another Visentini with lots of glass, stainless steel and easy maintenance flooring. Cabins are spacious and comfortable, self service restaurant on the starboard side of deck 5 small but there is definitely a BF touch. There was a delicious rib of beef on offer all 3 of us chose, vegetables hot but CV discount didn’t apply. 

Crossing smooth and pretty quick but again as I expected docking/unloading took over an hour so almost midnight before through customs, 01h30 this morning back in Emsworth with M27 closed for night works (again).

I’ve attached a few photos, passengers are part of my group so I didn’t need their permission. It does make you appreciate the effort BF make when designing and fitting out their own vessels, come back Barfleur, all is forgiven...!

Chris

51A54B33-9741-419A-9C49-6F9EABB5035C.jpeg

D4E75644-C8E6-4B75-A82F-C4BEB82F5D16.jpeg

5B0C1220-304C-4BD9-87EE-CB75ED0C36F6.jpeg

B72CD021-45B7-4BC9-8916-892CED955DB7.jpeg

EF7E22F3-6157-4B2B-8DDA-599766255ABF.jpeg

74339168-D538-4A94-A7CC-D98A66FEBC0E.jpeg

3C1AD6DE-D045-435F-A598-55C1437954B6.jpeg

0117B72A-2DFA-408E-944C-DE5E9CEF43AF.jpeg

28453464-C3A7-4344-AB59-EB14802F48D8.jpeg

1C360142-0536-4C2F-85EE-B99B0920E782.jpeg

7CA123AD-FB57-44F8-B529-4E9F1AB3A6BF.jpeg

Nice pics again Chris:) I still find it amusing that the only ships in the fleet with an escalator are non-BF ships. You would think that escalators on all ships would help those with mobility problems. I wonder if any of the ships on order have one!

Incidentally - I am a little slow here. Why exactly is Connemara in Poole at the moment?

7 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Incidentally - I am a little slow here. Why exactly is Connemara in Poole at the moment?

To cover for Barfleur while she has her refit.

13 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

You would think that escalators on all ships would help those with mobility problems.

I think that lifts are far more appropriate for those with mobility problems. Escalators require much more eye-limb coordination and you need a free hand to  hold on which may be difficult if using a walking stick and carrying a bag. Escalators are only really useful for moving large volumes/flows of people from one level to the next to avoid the bunching that occurs in stairwells. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

To cover for Barfleur while she has her refit.

Ah yes - having just seen the plethora of Barfy images in Santander, heh. Cheers:)

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think that lifts are far more appropriate for those with mobility problems. Escalators require much more eye-limb coordination and you need a free hand to  hold on which may be difficult if using a walking stick and carrying a bag. Escalators are only really useful for moving large volumes of people from one level to the next to avoid the bunching that occurs in stairwells. Ed. 

Agreed Cabin-boy, but it was more of an AND statement instead of an OR:)

If there was lifts central (near vehicles) AND an escalator, then it would aid people who missed the lift it was too busy, or too long to wait for example, and also help foot passengers. For example if it were in Plymouth - they could arrange it so people used the stern ramp and escalator and avoid that old gangway tower entirely.

If you have poor mobility and are in a car, you're likely to be up the ramp and parked on the open deck which is on the same level as reception and disabled cabins. OK not so good in bad weather

1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

If you have poor mobility and are in a car, you're likely to be up the ramp and parked on the open deck which is on the same level as reception and disabled cabins. OK not so good in bad weather

Correct if you’re on a Visentini. I think as it was her first Poole sailing they put us on deck 3 with freight in a hurry to catch up on her delayed departure rather than the open deck salt car wash which is deck 5. What was funny on Sunday was watching a rather overweight lorry driver struggling back up the stairs muttering what sounded like Eastern European profanities - the escalators only go directly from decks 3 to 5 or vice versa and he was parked on deck 4....🤣

Chris

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2019 at 10:13, hf_uk said:

I still find it amusing that the only ships in the fleet with an escalator are non-BF ships.

Doesn't Cap Finistere have an escalator?

1 hour ago, JohnMustow said:

Does it extend down to the car deck?

It's a massive one - split into two. it goes to both levels of car decks, from the reception area...