Jean Bart

Cap Finistere today

Hi

I was booked on a round trip on Cap Finistere today, coming back tonight, taking advantage of her presence on the Le Havre route, but the sailings have been cancelled due to severe weather. I have re-booked onto MSM instead, but according to the BF website Live Ship Positions, Cap F is in Portsmouth right now. I'm wondering, if that's the case, why her sailings are cancelled, due to the weather?

Hmmm, that sounds like a prime case for my theory about weather being used opportunistically as a cover for cancelling lightly-loaded sailings.  Absolutely no credible weather reason for CF not to sail to Le Havre if MSM can sail to Ouistreham.  Ouistreham is more vulnerable to exposed weather than Le Havre, and CF is generally accepted to be a better sea-keeper than MSM.

Just digging further, the reason for CF being cancelled is clear.  She is due to sail to Santander and back before the two Le Havre sailings, and the Santander sailings are delayed due to bad weather.  So the Le Havre sailings are shelved because the ship will be sailing to Spain and back at the time when they were due.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Just digging further, the reason for CF being cancelled is clear.  She is due to sail to Santander and back before the two Le Havre sailings, and the Santander sailings are delayed due to bad weather.  So the Le Havre sailings are shelved because the ship will be sailing to Spain and back at the time when they were due.

Are you sure? She is in Portsmouth now with the cancelled sailings in two hours time. When is the affected Spain crossing? Also both today and tomorrow sailings to LH cancelled, doesn't seem that bad weather out there, especially for a Spanish ship.

13 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Are you sure? She is in Portsmouth now with the cancelled sailings in two hours time. When is the affected Spain crossing? Also both today and tomorrow sailings to LH cancelled, doesn't seem that bad weather out there, especially for a Spanish ship.

Hmmm.  Think I might be getting confused.  Sorry.  The delayed Santander sailings look like they belong to BDS, not CF.

In which case, we have to come back to the original theory.  And the significance of the fact that CF's sailings are cancelled for the next 2 days.

That bears a second thought.  Sailings on a 5.5 hour route cancelled for "bad weather" 48 hours in advance, and all other sailings in the vicinity planned to run normally through that time.  Let that sink in.

17 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Wight, Portland, Plymouth & Biscay all have severe gale warnings of force 9. BDS sailed a fair way off the beaten track through the Channel Islands and Kerry was delayed leaving Ringaskiddy.

Etretat is keeping inshore en route to Bilbao.

Gareth I have a feeling you're original theory regarding CF is spot on.

Edited by jonno
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Ferry Man said:

Could be interesting - I'm booked onto next Wednesday's crossing, I think the French are on strike that day.. 

The strike is officially on Thursday next week and may well last for several days. I would expect to see at least some disruption to sailings next week and certainly there could be implications for anyone with booked onward travel from the ports. Ed.

28 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The strike is officially on Thursday next week and may well last for several days. I would expect to see at least some disruption to sailings next week and certainly there could be implications for anyone with booked onward travel from the ports. Ed.

Hmm, traveling back on the Thursday :/

It's going to be interesting when Normandie finally gets on the route. I was on Etretat in mid September and it almost seemed like I had the ship to myself. A handful of cars and the upper lorry deck near empty. Is there really traffic to justify something like Normandie on the route compared to Etretat? (Sorry seems like a bit of a drift)

I'm led to believe that Cap Finistere will remain in Portsmouth until Thursday, or go to the anchorage. Cap Finistere is on the schedule to depart Portsmouth at 09:45 Thursday bound for Le Havre, there is no mention of this sailing being cancelled.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

I think Honfleur actually has a slightly lower vehicle and passenger capacity than Normandie so if they hope to carry the same number of people as today some of them will inevitably have to move across to the Le Havre route which will then be able to offer an equivalent level of service. Ed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I'm led to believe that Cap Finistere will remain in Portsmouth until Friday, or go to the anchorage.

Yes, she's due to sail to Spain on Friday.  Presumably it would be the St Helens anchorage (as opposed to Spithead)?

4 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I'm led to believe that Cap Finistere will remain in Portsmouth until Thursday, or go to the anchorage. Cap Finistere is on the schedule to depart Portsmouth at 09:45 Thursday bound for Le Havre, there is no mention of this sailing being cancelled.

BF site update says it is

Screenshot_20191127_144656_com.android.chrome.jpg

8 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Edited my last Gareth.

Ah.  There is a 2330 ex-Portsmouth on 28th and 2300 ex-Le Havre on 29th also listed as cancelled, and I had assumed those belonged to CF.  But those are also BDS sailings, clearly related to her delayed Santander sailing (and now removed from the schedules).  Ok, so it looks like only one CF rotation is cancelled then.

Correct, the 23:30 from Portsmouth on Thursday and 22:00 from Le Havre on Friday would have been BdS, not CF. CF will sail tomorrow morning from Portsmouth to Le Havre, and departing Le Havre at 23:00.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

So here’s a live weather situation from MSM, we took a very unusual course past the IOW, more akin to a St-Malo crossing and almost kissed Bembridge on the way past, then the usual tannoy announcement saying due to bad weather you take to the outside decks at your own risk etc etc.

20 minutes later and with a strong westerly cross swell the first pile of plates in the kitchen smashed, 2 or 3 more have done the same and there’s nobody left in the self service...🤣

Cap looked very smart in Portsmouth earlier, I’ll post a few photos later - first rough crossing for several months but I can imagine the trip  to Spain could be much worse bearing in mind the wind direction, not surprised there is the odd cancellation or two...

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On board Cap now, passed Pont-Aven at about 3.30pm inbound (from St-Malo? What time did she leave?).  Agree, very interesting course past the IOW this afternoon.