Jean Bart

Cap Finistere today

We’re on next Sunday’s 2 nighter to Bilbao with Cap Finisterre. The wind forecasts have been reasonable up to now but all of a sudden Portsmouth / Roscoff have escalated to 40 + mph on Sunday night / Monday morning.

Please someone say something reassuring. I can’t bear the thought of another overland trek to Spain.

6 hours ago, jonno said:

Wight, Portland, Plymouth & Biscay all have severe gale warnings of force 9.

As a pilot boat coxswains, we have learnt to subtract 2 from whatever the Met Office Shipping forecast issue. If they say 9 it'll be a 7. In fact, we very rarely use that forecast.... Windy, Ventusky and UK wind map are FAR more accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As someone who works in weather forecasting and with (not for) the Met office I'd say their models are good. Windy etc don't have the model detail that the met office do for UK waters as they only use a European or german model generally.

Where we are on the east coast, The UKCMF bouys do a good enough job. I appreciate matters may be different elsewhere on the Coast.

• Thanks 3

I emailed BF customer support and received this by way of explanation. CF still on the berth when MSM arrived back this morning at 6.45.  Another 'diverted' passenger told me that she had been told by someone at BF that it was because Le Havre is a difficult port in bad weather, hence the cancellation. 

Thank you for your email.

It is the captains decision to make re cancelling a sailing due to the poor weather and the wave/wind situation. They have to look at all the reports given to them and make the decision if it is safe to sail or not when the weather forecast/shipping reports have been issued.

Regards,

Dean

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cassie said:

We’re on next Sunday’s 2 nighter to Bilbao with Cap Finisterre. The wind forecasts have been reasonable up to now but all of a sudden Portsmouth / Roscoff have escalated to 40 + mph on Sunday night / Monday morning.

Please someone say something reassuring. I can’t bear the thought of another overland trek to Spain.

Drink heavily, then sleep for most the crossing :)

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone. I’m not sure about the drink- which will mean having to get up in the night- but I’ve just double checked we have enough Stugeron and am weaning myself off half-hourly checks on the shipping forecast. 

17 hours ago, Cassie said:

I generally use a website called Passage Weather, it’s usually pretty accurate.

The good news first: it’s actually wave height that tends to make a crossing uncomfortable rather than wind speed or direction, although they obviously have some influence. I’ve taken shots of what’s forecast for Monday morning through to Tuesday when you will be at your most exposed in the Bay of Biscay, and you’ll see by the colours (following the colours of a rainbow, red highest seas, pale blue lowest) that it’s all quietening down as all the rubbish gets sent to Neil in Scotland....🤣

Now the bad news: it’s only a forecast and could change totally in the next 72 hours!

Chris

60D92951-B11B-4AD1-B044-4605219AF35A.png

ED7976CD-ADB8-4842-93F4-3DAB12FA6787.png

DE50A9CB-F232-4EBF-9FDE-969B124AAD02.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you Finewhine. Much more reassuring than others I’ve looked at.

We’ve had several really grim crossings but the very worst, in August, was on the Pont Aven when, having spent the first part of the night terrified that the upper bunk would come crashing down on me and kill me I spent the second half wishing it would be quick and put me out of my misery. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, nodwad said:

on all the ferries I have been on,I find the cap the best out of the lot in heavy seas.enjoy your trip and take your camera .

I’ll second that, not used the ferries that stick to the French routes but all the Spanish route and the Vincentis are not as good seakeepers as the Cap on the Biscay.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I generally use a website called Passage Weather, it’s usually pretty accurate.

The good news first: it’s actually wave height that tends to make a crossing uncomfortable rather than wind speed or direction, although they obviously have some influence. I’ve taken shots of what’s forecast for Monday morning through to Tuesday when you will be at your most exposed in the Bay of Biscay, and you’ll see by the colours (following the colours of a rainbow, red highest seas, pale blue lowest) that it’s all quietening down as all the rubbish gets sent to Neil in Scotland....🤣

Now the bad news: it’s only a forecast and could change totally in the next 72 hours!

Chris

60D92951-B11B-4AD1-B044-4605219AF35A.png

ED7976CD-ADB8-4842-93F4-3DAB12FA6787.png

DE50A9CB-F232-4EBF-9FDE-969B124AAD02.png

Passage Weather is my old friend (Basic) Bill Reilly. Been through plenty of storms! Now that he is a reformed character, I am sure he will endorse the use of quality booze as at least part of the survival package.

Don't forget to start Stugeron about 12 hours before departure, and stock up on Ginger Nuts! Ginger in most forms is great against motion sickness. Most people also benefit from eating rather than avoiding food. Just steer clear of very unusual things in your normal diet, and acid food and drink.

Most people also benefit from eating rather than avoiding food. Just steer clear of very unusual things in your normal diet, and acid food and drink.

Touch wood, I haven't honked at sea for over 25 years which included full dinner on the Oscar Wilde heading towards Lands End in a stinker of a storm. I used to use NEX to commute from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, and the continental breakfast of croissant, coffee and fresh orange juice occasionally made me have to sit down and take a few deep breaths for a few minutes...🤢

Chris 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

Passage Weather is my old friend (Basic) Bill Reilly. Been through plenty of storms! Now that he is a reformed character, I am sure he will endorse the use of quality booze as at least part of the survival package.

Don't forget to start Stugeron about 12 hours before departure, and stock up on Ginger Nuts! Ginger in most forms is great against motion sickness. Most people also benefit from eating rather than avoiding food. Just steer clear of very unusual things in your normal diet, and acid food and drink.

Some very good advice there I think. A lot of people I know assume that I don't get seasick given my (to them) strange obsession with travelling on ferries, but I certainly can and have succumbed to 'mal de mer' and know just how unpleasant it can be. Over the years I have found eating a modest amount, plus plenty of fresh air (where practical) to be the best remedies. Also being able to look out to sea rather than being in an enclosed space, such as a theatre or cinema, is definitely preferable. 

Whenever the forecast looks particularly bad (even though I don't seem to be overly susceptible to queasiness) I always try to eat a banana a couple of hours before departure time. That combined with fresh air, a decent view of the horizon and the ability to escape from afflicted passengers works every time. Ed. 

Strangely enough, while neither my husband or I have actually been sea sick, we neither of us want to eat anything except for a chunk of really, really strong cheese. I’ve got a nicely aged bit of cheddar ready for Sunday/ Monday and will add a packet of crystallised ginger to the stash. 

What I find a real strain is simply trying to relax when you’re being thrown all over the place.  However hungry I don’t think I could manage to sit and eat in the restaurant or a lounge. 

I have sailed on many ferries across the channel and mostly on uk to Spain routes.i was never sea sick until a few years ago on the point aven and it was flat calm.never been sea sick since,some of my navy friends say the same you can go years then the green look comes to your face and you spend a lot of time with you head down the toilet.wonderful memories (I THINK NOT)

On 27/11/2019 at 14:11, Cabin-boy said:

The strike is officially on Thursday next week and may well last for several days. I would expect to see at least some disruption to sailings next week and certainly there could be implications for anyone with booked onward travel from the ports. Ed.

Just an update. The SNCF have cancelled (and reimbursed those affected) hundreds of trains for the end of next week. They have also suspended ticket sales on TGVs and long distance trains for the period 5-8 December. There are suggestions that certain refineries will be blocked so ensuring you arrive in France with a full tank (despite any other advice you might receive) and filing up before leaving the motorway network might be prudent. Ed.

• Like 1