luke2204

Weymouth Port

Hi all

Does anyone know if there are any conventional vehicle ferries that can fit into the former Condor Ferries Weymouth Port area?

Not bothered about the compatibility of the current ramp, mainly interested in terms of size of the area.

Hope someone can help :)

Luke

Welcome to the forum Luke.

In terms of fitting (and not blocking the whole harbour), no, modern conventional ferries are too big.  The berth was designed to take the size of ferry (circa 4000 grt) that was around in the 70s, so I suspect even something like Commodore Clipper would be too big.  It’s possible that something of the size of Goodwill may just fit in.  Dimensionally at any rate - not sure about draught.

On the subject of draught, I suspect dredging would be out of the question given the precarious state of the jetties.  And that takes us on to the whole question of the state of Weymouth ferry port full stop.  I don’t know whether any work has started yet, but my understanding was that the whole ferry port is due to be rebuilt as something else.  It has been closed down as a ferry port and is not safe to use.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

Welcome to the forum Luke.

In terms of fitting (and not blocking the whole harbour), no, modern conventional ferries are too big.  The berth was designed to take the size of ferry (circa 4000 grt) that was around in the 70s, so I suspect even something like Commodore Clipper would be too big.  It’s possible that something of the size of Goodwill may just fit in.  Dimensionally at any rate - not sure about draught.

On the subject of draught, I suspect dredging would be out of the question given the precarious state of the jetties.  And that takes us on to the whole question of the state of Weymouth ferry port full stop.  I don’t know whether any work has started yet, but my understanding was that the whole ferry port is due to be rebuilt as something else.  It has been closed down as a ferry port and is not safe to use

Interesting, a shame really how it's all turned out over there but thanks for the info :)