Cabin-boy

French Strikes - Updates

As there is no single thread dedicated to the topic, I thought I'd create one now. Let's try and keep the posts to updates only rather than opinions and if anyone has maps of service stations that are either closed or open and/or other useful information please feel free to add a link.

The big national strike is due to start on Thursday this week but as a sort of 'amuse bouche' the refinery near Brest had been blockaded since Friday, stocks across Brittany are starting to run low and priority is being given to emergency vehicles. 

Ed. 

• Like 2

Most refineries in the west have been blocked for several days and stocks have disappeared in panic buying. Very little available around St Malo!

This action is by building sector workers protesting against plans to cut reduced duty on diesel for their vehicles. Meeting with government today, so fingers crossed.

Thursday sees almost complete shutdown on railways (from Wednesday evening), Air France ground staff on strike (impact unknown), many local and regional bus and metro services not running. Police action (not yet seen detail). All these actions are by the main unions against the rationalisation of state retirement schemes. Currently all sorts of workers like train drivers, have packages a lot better than the standard.

• Thanks 2

Are the strikes going to have any impact on the ports that BF, sail too, if so how can we find out the dates or updates to it. ??

Watching closely as I am booked on Pont Aven out of St Malo on Thursday evening. I will post here any word I have from my news sources.

For now...... the strike action is only scheduled for Thursday. Barring escalation, you should be OK, he says, crossing fingers and toes.

• Thanks 1

The protesters failed to block the Donges refinery near St Nazaire yesterday and the depot at Vern sur Seiche near Rennes was unblocked by 130 Gendarmes at 04:00 this morning. We anyway were able to get some fuel in Pleurtuit yesterday, and the situation should ease fairly quickly. No news yet about the Brest and Lorient blockages.

From the 'sailing updates' page:

France fuel protest

As a result of blockades at refineries, there are fuel shortages and rationing at some service stations. As a precaution, we are advising customers to depart with enough fuel to reach their destination in France. However, please note that the carriage of petrol/diesel cans on board our ferries is limited to 5 litres per vehicle.

Ed

There are indeed a number of service stations closed or pretty close to running dry.

It is however worth saying that normally (and I stress normally - no guarantees of course) motorway service stations will continue to operate.  This is for the obvious reason that you can’t have dozens of vehicles running out of fuel on the motorway network.

15 minutes ago, Gardian said:

This is for the obvious reason that you can’t have dozens of vehicles running out of fuel on the motorway network.

Surprised the strikers are bothered about that!

The motorway service station between Angers and Nantes did apparently run dry yesterday for a while. That's not supposed to happen but there was an exceptional level of demand.  Ed. 

Both of the speed cameras I pass regularly have again been damaged (with what looks like paint) in the last few days, presumably due to the ongoing strikes. Ed. 

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Both of the speed cameras I pass regularly have again been damaged (with what looks like paint) in the last few days, presumably due to the ongoing strikes. Ed. 

Don`t mess about, these guys, do they?

Portsmouth/Le Havre sailings on Monday and Tuesday have been cancelled due to the strike, not the weather:

PORTSMOUTH TO LE HAVRE / LE HAVRE TO PORTSMOUTH

9/12/19 - Portsmouth - Le Havre 21:30 - We are sorry to advise, that due to a Harbour strike in Le Havre, this sailing has now been cancelled. Please contact our reservations team on 01752 648637. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

10/12/19 - Le Havre to Portsmouth 17:00 - We are sorry to advise, that due to a Harbour strike in Le Havre, this sailing has now been cancelled. Please contact our reservations team on 01752 648637. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Ed

Further strike-related cancellations at St Malo. 

09/12/19 Portsmouth to St Malo 20:15 - We are sorry to advise that due to a strike within the port of St Malo, this sailing has been cancelled. An additional sailing will be leaving on Tuesday 10 December at 20:15, arriving into St Malo at 08:00. Please call 01752 648637 to change to this departure or to discuss other alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

09/12/19 St Malo to Portsmouth 20:30 - We are sorry to advise that due to a strike within the port of St Malo, this sailing has been cancelled. An additional sailing will be leaving on Wednesday 11 December at 10:20, arriving into Portsmouth at 18:20. Please call 01752 648637 to change to this departure or to discuss other alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

Ed