Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Le Shuttle, Le Chien

A quick cautionary 'tail' after a spot of both on Eurotunnel earlier in the week...

When returning from France with Eurotunnel and a pet, you first need to visit the Pet Check-in to have their chip and documents checked. At this point, they effectively update your booking to allow you to check in.

If they don't, you'll find that you can't check in and end up meeting some of the finest French administration I've seen in a while where the passport and Eurotunnel sticker saying the dog was all good do go weren't sufficient... it ended up with the lady at check-in having to describe us and our car to the lady at the pet counter (who we'd seen less than 5 minutes before), confirming the 'make' of the dog and the digit-by-digit reading of every number in his passport. It would have been quicker to drive back around go go through the original process again...

Still, the dog's passport's blue - so at least he's ready for Brexit... even if he wasn't entertained by the journey

image.png.d12c659b6a8374f87c0073e86db56008.png

• Like 1

It's worse for passengers without a car, Jim.  

You can take a dog on trains within UK to London,  and you can take a dog on trains onward from Paris (when they are not on strike) - but for the middle stretch from London to Paris you cannot take a dog on Eurostar trains under the tunnel. 

Edited by wortley

1 hour ago, wortley said:

It's worse for passengers without a car, Jim.  

You can take a dog on trains within UK to London,  and you can take a dog on trains onward from Paris (when they are not on strike) - but for the middle stretch from London to Paris you cannot take a dog on Eurostar trains under the tunnel. 

That's always been the case with Eurostar though - the trains and terminals were never designed with pet transport in mind. I'm pretty sure there's also something to do with tunnel regulations and the potential for pets in the relatively confined space of a passenger train to cause potential delays in evacuation.

Also learned last weekend that pets need a train ticket in Belgium - fixed at 3.00 single or 6.00 return, but you still need to choose destination and class. The ticket is half the size of a human one too. (There was much amusement when some Brits turfed out of 1st class sat in the vestibule bemoaning they couldn't sit in first but a dog could... they subsequently found out that a) they could be understood and b) doggo actually had a first class ticket!)

image.png.43a275de6a936ecc605aebeb692fd886.png

• Haha 1

Thank you Jim. Do any of the cross channel ferry services accept foot passengers with dogs, or do they always have to be in a car ?

8 hours ago, scarlton said:

The requirement to travel with a car is a result of restrictions within the licence issued by DEFRA.

I dug a bit deeper and there is no such DEFRA restriction.  It seems to be just a B/F restriction.

Stena is happy to take foot passengers with dogs in their on board kennels from Harwich to the Hook - and a plus point is that there are still trains to and from those two ports - unlike at Newhaven and Dieppe which had them long ago. 

5 minutes ago, wortley said:

I dug a bit deeper and there is no such DEFRA restriction.  It seems to be just a B/F restriction.

The key word in Scarlton’s post is “licence”.  How generic are these things, and how much is each licence specific to the purpose for which it was issued?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wortley said:

Stena is happy to take foot passengers with dogs in their on board kennels from Harwich to the Hook - and a plus point is that there are still trains to and from those two ports - unlike at Newhaven and Dieppe which had them long ago. 

Both Newhaven and Dieppe are both still served by trains. Newhaven Town station is better placed than the Harbour for foot passengers going to the ferries. Dieppe does require a taxi ride as in the original post but there may be a bus too. I seem to recall seeing one outside the terminal building. Ed

As far as I know, there's no sailings where you can take an animal with you in public areas. The majority of operators require the pet to be in a car and/or transferred to an onboard kennel. That said, I heard a well-sourced rumour a while ago that P&O out of Dover were considering adding a pet lounge to some of their ships but that has yet to materialise.

In the same vein, it's possible to take dogs as hand luggage on many airlines within the EU (so long as they fit in a carrier that goes under the seat, otherwise it's in the cargo hold) but not within the UK where they must always be shipped as cargo.

In all of this, I'd remind/encourage people thinking of travelling with their pet to do it in a way that will stress them out the least!

4 hours ago, Jim said:

In all of this, I'd remind/encourage people thinking of travelling withtheir pet to do it in a way that will stress them out the least!

In all of this, I'd remind/encourage people thinking of travelling with their pet to do it in a way that will stress THEIR FELLOW PASSENGERS out the least!

Chris (owner of 2 dogs)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/12/2019 at 15:20, Fine Whine said:

In all of this, I'd remind/encourage people thinking of travelling with their pet to do it in a way that will stress THEIR FELLOW PASSENGERS out the least!

Chris (owner of 2 dogs)

That's also very true :)