Lapper

DAB Radio in France

I’m thinking of buying my parents a DAB radio for Christmas. Has anyone had experience of picking up English radio stations on them in France?  Thinking particularly in the Cherbourg area. TIA

no DAB in Bricquebec, although we get reasonably strong FM and AM reception. Long wave is good when the cricket team are losing, but rubbish when they are winning - and there are no French digital stations, so far as I know.

My in-car DAB picks up nothing down here in the Loire nor in Normandy. Even when in the Carteret area, which is about as close as you can get to Jersey on the French mainland, it refuses to pick anything up. Maybe the Channel Islands don't have DAB - I've never checked. Roger is correct in saying that the French haven't jumped on the DAB bandwagon. Ed. 

We take the car over and get all that we have programed into it, and it works well, I don't know if you can tune UK, Radio when your in france.

Edited by Eddies

We did manage to find what appeared to be the French equivalent (sort of) of Classic FM..which was fine as music to pass the motorway miles by...Most other stuff we picked up appeared to be `Johnny Halliday` soundalike stations 🙄

9 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Best to take your own music on a USB stick. Makes the journey pass faster,

We have the “tune in radio “ app that works via “Apple car play “ in our new car any radio station in the world pretty much or the “Spotify” app it’s a pretty nifty bit of kit.

Unlikely to get UK DAB in France. Some UK FM stations can be picked up on France's north coast. If your parents have broadband why not by an internet radio (eg Roberts make several). We have one in southern Ireland and get all UK stations plus thousands of others.

• Like 1

How is your French? Plenty of choice on radio, music of all types and otherwise. I mainly stick with France Bleu - Armorique, Breizh Izel, Cotentin, Basse Normandie etc. Good local news, sport and so on, cookery, gardening and all the rest as well as lots of music.

23 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

My in-car DAB picks up nothing down here in the Loire nor in Normandy. Even when in the Carteret area, which is about as close as you can get to Jersey on the French mainland, it refuses to pick anything up. Maybe the Channel Islands don't have DAB - I've never checked. Roger is correct in saying that the French haven't jumped on the DAB bandwagon. Ed. 

The French use DAB+, so any older UK spec radio won't work. I believe newer radios sold in the UK support DAB+ too, even though the UK doesn't use it.

30 minutes ago, penguin said:

The French use DAB+, so any older UK spec radio won't work. I believe newer radios sold in the UK support DAB+ too, even though the UK doesn't use it.

Yes, they've been rolling it out for a while now but I don't know anyone who has actually adopted it. It's not yet available nationwide and so most people seem to be managing with Internet radio through either their ADSL/Fiber-optic routers Or Amazon/Google speakers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dabplus.fr/&ved=2ahUKEwiCpOvSzcLmAhVGPBoKHXMRDjwQFjAAegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw19nljTMRxFfYZOdezCTAd9

Ed. 

42 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, they've been rolling it out for a while now but I don't know anyone who has actually adopted it. It's not yet available nationwide and so most people seem to be managing with Internet radio through either their ADSL/Fiber-optic routers Or Amazon/Google speakers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dabplus.fr/&ved=2ahUKEwiCpOvSzcLmAhVGPBoKHXMRDjwQFjAAegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw19nljTMRxFfYZOdezCTAd9

Ed. 

Your Swahili is certainly getting better Ed, but whats all that in English 😂

1 hour ago, penguin said:

I'm glad you have mentioned this, as I was very surprised when someone said the French haven't jumped on the DAB band wagon. We here in Britain tend to be an age behind most other countries when it comes to tech... and most other things come to think of it!

18 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

I was very surprised when someone said the French haven't jumped on the DAB band wagon.

I said that as the public certainly don't seem to be widely aware of it or prepared to invest in the equipment needed to receive it. That's not to say the broadcasting authorities haven't invested in the infrastructure in the main cities, it's just the infomation campaign to let people know about the technology seems to have gone unnoticed and other radio-listening options have gained more of a following. Ed. 

12 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Why listen to radio when you can play your own favourites over USB or via your phone? I prefer to select my own playlists rather than depend on some remote DJ!

The issue I have with this is I end up listening to the same thing over and over again... I do find myself streaming foreign radio stations for some different variety and to be able to largely ignore the chit-chat...

It also means I get to hear some interesting lyrics, like those from Helemaal Hollands 'Dikke Scheisse' on RadioNL this week.

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

the chit-chat.

On the aforementioned 'Nostalgie', the chit-chat is relatively minimal aside from the morning and evening drivetime slots and then it's quite amusing to listen to and I think I get about 90% of the conversations. I haven't yet been able to phone in for one of their competitions as I'm usually listening in the car when driving but often do get the answers right. They also have a good 'vinyl' hour between 8 and 9pm  and a disco-remix later at night. It's available online so I'd recommend people having a listen before travelling and see if you like it. Ed

It used to greatly amuse the kids back in the day that the French radio stations don’t bother with a beep button or the supermarkets for that matter.

23 hours ago, Danim24 said:

I'm glad you have mentioned this, as I was very surprised when someone said the French haven't jumped on the DAB band wagon. We here in Britain tend to be an age behind most other countries when it comes to tech... and most other things come to think of it!

The reverse is actually true - the UK adopted DAB too soon. This means we now can't easily upgrade as too many people already have radios. European countries who waited for the technology to mature now have DAB+ which is capable of much better quality (including the luxury of stereo!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We picked up UK radio no problem in my 2012 Zafira B driving from Ouistreham to The Vendee on 24th June 2016. I drove, hubby sat beside me and the kids sat in the back watching films with headphones so we were able to listen to the result of the referendum and its fallout without complaints from the back seat (we had left home too early to vote the previous day so had used postal votes).