Sign in to follow this  
westy

Travelling to the EU after 31 January 2020

With the EHIC, my sister had surgery to reset and insert pins in her wrist. All the Caen hospital wanted from her was €72 for meals which she had 28 days to pay.

She's only ever had the minimum of travel insurance which I think has never included anything medical... unlike me, I seem to have insurance for everything under the sun & moon.

I've had IDP's for years just in case, out in the sticks Spanish police can be a pain if the mood takes them, plus we carry laminated copies of everything in a folder in the van.

On 21/12/2019 at 19:43, Paully said:

Also no need for IDP`s or Green Cards during the transition period either.

Told the other day that you will have to have a idp in France after 31 January 2020.

11 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Told the other day that you will have to have a idp in France after 31 January 2020.

Please could you give us the source of that information? Ed.

Just another point a few years ago I was taking to hospital with gall stones problems.the treatment was 1 st class and no mention of private insurance as long I had a ehic with me .this was on Spain by the way and I know a few others who had operations  just with ehic  and they had no problems either.it is all a bit confusing at the moment.i said in earlier post Spain you can use your English driving license until end of 2020 in Spain but in France you need a idp.just wonder if anyone out there knows what the rules are going to be after December this year.

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Please could you give us the source of that information? Ed.

I got this off internet on advice on travelling to France and Spain.why?

7 minutes ago, nodwad said:

I got this off internet on advice on travelling to France and Spain.why?

Because it makes a difference whether it is advice (and therefore not official) or newly-introduced rules that everyone must adhere to. I don't think it's the latter as I have found nothing official to the same effect and there are likely to be British drivers abroad right now without the document who won't be back before your deadline. My understanding is that nothing substantial changes on 31 January that will affect UK nationals for a further 11 months. Ed. 

52 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Because it makes a difference whether it is advice (and therefore not official) or newly-introduced rules that everyone must adhere to. I don't think it's the latter as I have found nothing official to the same effect and there are likely to be British drivers abroad right now without the document who won't be back before your deadline. My understanding is that nothing substantial changes on 31 January that will affect UK nationals for a further 11 months. Ed. 

I`ll second that..The internet advice Nodwad is referring to was in the event that we left without any agreement with the EU. That has not happened and we leave on the 31st January but with an agreement, so no change on such matters as Licences, green cards and Ehic cards. No change on the amount of wine you can bring back,as we will still be in the Customs Union. What happens after that will be subject to negotation.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the replies you have given ne regarding this subject.i travel to Spain in January and will be coming back end of febuary.as you all know the bay of biscay is not the most friendly place to be when it is in a bad mood.so just in case we are unfortunate to have ferry crossing cancelled.i thought I would check things out.many thanks again for the advice

Does anyone know what the rules are about the time left to expiry of a passport, for travel to France after Jan. 31st?

To cut a long story short, I looked at the .gov passport checker website and it said my passport was not valid 'if we leave with no deal', so I'm now rather puzzled, especially as I thought it would be OK if we had at least 7 months from the date of travelling before expiry.

You are correct in your thinking if you are referring to 31st January 2020 - there is a calculator on the Gov website -  in any event the UK is still in the EU until 31st December 2020 so 

According to information published by HMG last week, there should be no changes to....

Passport validity

EHIC

Mobile roaming charges

....during the transition period.  I’ve not seen whether driving license validity is included in this, but I assume that it is.

2 hours ago, almosthere said:

Does anyone know what the rules are about the time left to expiry of a passport, for travel to France after Jan. 31st?

To cut a long story short, I looked at the .gov passport checker website and it said my passport was not valid 'if we leave with no deal', so I'm now rather puzzled, especially as I thought it would be OK if we had at least 7 months from the date of travelling before expiry.

This is pre election information in many respects as the new deal passed through parliament rapidly and by a large majority. The EU will also pass it this month as they were already happy with it pre 12/12/19.

Your passport and all other current documentation is and will be valid until 31/12/20. You will not require a green card, IDP or GB sticker.

The ongoing negotiations post 31/01/20 will determine whether we will need to change vehicle documents from 2021. A change in the passports in inevitable at some point as even with successful negotiation the U.K. will not be part of the EU and the document will need altering to reflect this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

You are correct in your thinking if you are referring to 31st January 2020 - there is a calculator on the Gov website -  in any event the UK is still in the EU until 31st December 2020 so 

Check the UK website. Not so if we leave without a deal. My passport expires 13 July 2021 however if we leave 31st Jan 2020  with no deal then the new expired date to travel to an EU country is 13th April 2020 therefore I must renew my passport before the shown present expiry date of Jul 2021

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-for-travel-to-europe

Edited by spll

The risk of no deal on 31 Jan has all but passed.  The only slight chance would have been if the Lords had decided to be awkward.  But the withdrawal agreement completed its committee stage in the Lords last week without amendment.  In light of that, the likelihood of the UK not ratifying the agreement is zero.  All anxieties about no deal at the end of this month can therefore be cast aside, and the details that matter are those that go with the transition period.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spll said:

Check the UK website. Not so if we leave without a deal. My passport expires 13 July 2021 however if we leave 31st Jan 2020  with no deal then the new expired date to travel to an EU country is 13th April 2020 therefore I must renew my passport before the shown present expiry date of Jul 2021

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-for-travel-to-europe

The transition period runs to the end of this year - The UK wont leave without a deal before this date.... Gareths link will explain 

The .gov passport & travel websites, Brittany Ferries website, my car insurance website (green card? IDP?) and so on and so on, all have unhelpful outdated information stating that "if we leave without a deal on Jan 31st 2020....."  

We're leaving at the end of this month, then there's a transition period until Dec. 31st 2020, and nothing will change until then allegedly. 

Meanwhile, it would be nice to get some reassurance that when we travel later this year we won't get in an argument with the ferry check in staff about the validity of my passport (re pending expiry date), that French officials are clear that I don't need a green card or IDP, and that I won't yet need a GB sticker. The only thing that's clear are the arrangements with the Crit air sticker in certain cities, and that while entering France will be quick and efficient, returning home, as last year, will involve lengthy delays while Border Control demonstrate to the public that they're working hard at keeping the bloody foreigners out at all cost. 

I think the general rule is that your passport should always have 6 months validity remaining on your return date. As to the rest, as I understand it nothing else changes until the 31 December 2020. Ed. 

• Like 1

Indeed.  “Misinformation” is a bit harsh (even though it’s true there has been a lot of that around).  What there has been is information to cover different scenarios, and many members of the public may not be sufficiently aware of these or which scenario is the one that is actually going to play out.  HMG could usefully make it clearer to the public that all the previous advice covering a “no deal” eventuality can be ignored.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, colin said:

Until the end of 2020.

Ah yes, indeed.  For then, a whole new lot of information will be needed - information which is not yet known.  But the situation at the end of January (which is what this thread is about) is now known (barring the European parliament unexpectedly voting not to ratify the treaty their representatives negotiated when they meet two days before departure day).

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

barring the European parliament unexpectedly voting not to ratify the treaty their representatives negotiated when they meet two days before departure day

Which would make life interesting for thousands of British people holidaying or living in the European Union (like my father and his dog) on the 31st of January without the correct extra paperwork etc. I can't see it happening but stranger things have occurred. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Which would make life interesting for thousands of British people holidaying or living in the European Union (like my father and his dog) on the 31st of January without the correct extra paperwork etc. I can't see it happening but stranger things have occurred. Ed. 

We’ll have to see what they do.  No commentators are realistically expecting EU ratification to be anything other than a formality.  But in the mean time, this thread must not become political and must stay on the topic of the facts of travel to the EU after next Friday.

• Like 2