Seasons Greetings

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite where 2019 has gone is beyond me, but here we are just two more sleeps before Christmas Dat! It's certainly been an interesting year in the world of BF with both highs and lows, but 2020 looks s

As they say up there, "Here's to us, who's like us, damn few, and they're all dead". Though normally the spelling and pronunciation take a Scots tang. All the very best to all. Let us hope that l

We were on the Xmas trip. A little quiet as there were only 600 passengers. It made for a little more room than usual. We were told that 1000 would be on board for the NY crossing to Honfleur. We were

Posted Images

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

A terrible disfigurement...

Her original designers must be weeping into their drinks....

Wouldn’t be so bad if it hadn’t ruined her outside deck space due to its size and spray , hopefully she will get lng modified and the mountain will be gone .

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Even in such a very poor quality photo you can tell it’s her due to that massive scrubber instillation.

She looks rather less bad in this quality image - because of the way the smoke/vapour is coming out of the funnels I could have been convinced it was a pair of fine, large twin funnels. Something like the Wellamo of 1975.

Alas when she comes back into focus again so will the monstrosity.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Wouldn’t be so bad if it hadn’t ruined her outside deck space due to its size and spray , hopefully she will get lng modified and the mountain will be gone .

Don't expect they'll bother to do that now, sadly. And if they did wouldn't the tanks have to go up on deck?

Just imagine what they could do, if only she was going to be out of service for a couple of months for some, not entirely unconnected reason...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, hhvferry said:

She looks rather less bad in this quality image - because of the way the smoke/vapour is coming out of the funnels I could have been convinced it was a pair of fine, large twin funnels. Something like the Wellamo of 1975.

Alas when she comes back into focus again so will the monstrosity.

If they painted a 30 foot middle section of both the front and rear of that funnel sky blue then from a distance that would give the desired efect. Ed. 

9 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Don't expect they'll bother to do that now, sadly. And if they did wouldn't the tanks have to go up on deck?

Just imagine what they could do, if only she was going to be out of service for a couple of months for some, not entirely unconnected reason...

It was talked before the scrubber debacle , they still might if someone else pays for it.

11 hours ago, hhvferry said:

because of the way the smoke/vapour is coming out of the funnels I could have been convinced it was a pair of fine, large twin funnels. Something like the Wellamo of 1975.

Yes excellent description, especially post lengthening. Classy ship, sailed on her as Color Viking & Jupiter.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

they still might if someone else pays for it.

There are grants available. I wonder whether BF had one eye on ease of removal when fitting the system? Most shipping companies still regard scrubbers as an interim stop gap measure rather than a long term solution plus I'm betting BF were hoping to have had 6 months hard data by now relating to Honfleur's gas/electric hybrid for comparison to aid them in deciding which path to take.

It wouldn't be hard to remove the scrubbers and it's well documented that the engines even back in 2002 when fitted to MSM were designed to also run on LNG swapping out the fuel oil tanks for gas. Again we also know there's a lot being done in terms of LNG infrastructure and bunkering which even as early as 2021 would make the use of the fuel far more viable.

I think they'll do it to the Pont, Monty and the Arm', the three with the land based system and the Cap will have shiny new powerplant similar to Honfleur's. The rest will run on MGO which with DPF's is more than adequate for the new emission regs.

2nd world ferry operators will still use a distillate form of the remaining HFO so if BF planned to sell Barfy and/or Normandie in the future their maritime scrubbers mean they'll be attractive to those markets.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Pont-Aven' alongside in Honfleur today for the New Year Cruise.

Good picture.  (Has she berthed the other way round compared with last year or do I remember that incorrectly?)

Slightly pedantic point, but it might be more accurate to say "at" or "outside" Honfleur rather than "in".  Pont Aven is way to big to actually get in(to the Harbour)!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Good picture.  (Has she berthed the other way round compared with last year or do I remember that incorrectly?)

Slightly pedantic point, but it might be more accurate to say "at" or "outside" Honfleur rather than "in".  Pont Aven is way to big to actually get in(to the Harbour)!

Same way as last year I think. It's all part of the port, so 'In' would be correct.

13 minutes ago, Gareth said:

To be fair it could in or at or outside anywhere going by the photos there’s nothing to distinguish it being “near” Honfluer.

PA is berthed at the small Honfleur cruise terminal heading downstream. It where we berthed in Magellan earlier this month. Honfleur is a sizable town, the old harbour (Vieux Port) is just a part of it. The terminal is about a 20 minute walk from the old town but we were provided with shuttle buses.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1

It's definitely Honfleur - the jetty and flagpoles are unmistakeable. As is the fact that the jetty is only really long enough to take a vessel of the sort of length of NEX!  (Or Colin's yacht! :))

Normal berthing protocol would be heading into the stream if there is a strong tidal / fluvial current flowing.  River currents would normally be downstream more than upstream, so the fact that she has berthed heading downstream on both occasions probably means the strength of the current at the time of berthing was not enough to trouble her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1