Andy

Seasons Greetings

44 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

PA is berthed at the small Honfleur cruise terminal heading downstream. It where we berthed in Magellan earlier this month. Honfleur is a sizable town, the old harbour (Vieux Port) is just a part of it. The terminal is about a 20 minute walk from the old town but we were provided with shuttle buses.

It’s a lovely town well worth a visit during the festive season it must be even more special, even if there’s a short bus journey involved , I wonder if there’s bikes to rent at the terminal it would be a nice short cycle into the town centre .

Yes, berthing outside does not do the beauty of the town justice.  The magic comes when you enter the inner harbour from the lock - the unexpected nature of that view (from where you’ve come from in the muddy Seine estuary) is breathtaking.

• Like 1

Yes, a very picturesque place but if you want a coffee in a cafe with an outdoor patio overlooking the harbour be prepared for 11 Euros for 2 Grand Cafe au Lait! Wonderful view though.

(DTR)Honfleur (1).JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Yes, a very picturesque place but if you want a coffee in a cafe with an outdoor patio overlooking the harbour be prepared for 11 Euros for 2 Grand Cafe au Lait! Wonderful view though.

(DTR)Honfleur (1).JPG

There was a wedding on when we were there a piper in full highland dress leading a horse drawn carriage around the town quite special to see.

We ate around the corner got a table after a group of Americans walked as “all they serve in this country is cheese and pancakes.”

Honfleur is a lovely town and I enjoy visiting it off season. However it is very accessible from Le Havre and Ouistreham and the cruise at full speed is less than 6 hours. Antwerp looks a great location for a cruise, maybe It is worth looking for somewhere different for the next new years cruise ?

However this could be the closest BF get to Honfleur for a while !

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gareth said:

Good picture.  (Has she berthed the other way round compared with last year or do I remember that incorrectly?)

Berthed the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks SC - thought I was going mad!  Yes, not been an easy year for PA.  Let's hope that he pending visit to Poland will enable her to turn a corner 🤞

9 hours ago, scarlton said:

Interesting to think of the rough year PA, it's crew and passengers have had.

And it’s would be passengers that never made it onboard.

We were on the Xmas trip. A little quiet as there were only 600 passengers. It made for a little more room than usual. We were told that 1000 would be on board for the NY crossing to Honfleur. We were on one trip when there 800 on board and that was just right.

PA was immaculate with everything, except the one engine that is to be replaced, working. The cabin 6228, we always ask for this one, was very clean and comfortable - the wife would liked to have taken the mattress home!!!

We started loading at 2.45 and were sat without rushing, having a drink, in the piano lounge at 3.45.

The crew, except one, were very happy, smiling and helpful. The entertainment comprised a 5 piece band, DJ, childrens entertainer, comedy illusionist, singing duo and a rather moderate solo singer. All the rest were good. We did not have the Gala Lunch as it is the same menu every year but dined in Le Flora twice having the lamb and duck - excellent. We suspected that one of the waiters had been sent up from the engine room as he was a mild version of Basil Faulty but amusing.

The crossings were on time arriving in Antwerp at 1.00pm instead of the scheduled 3.00pm, bur who cares on these trips, and were calm especially the return. Only a very slight roll on the outward voyage.

Two unusual things happened:

1. On the outward voyage we were all called to Reception to declare our place of birth. ??

2. The first persons onto PA after the passenger access ramp was in place were two Belgian police. ?? 

I enquired of a man with rings on his jacket sleeve if he knew how they were going to fit the new engine. He did not know but I imagine major removal of steelwork will be required. Might someone be able to get pictures ?? 

• Like 4

Are they replacing the engine or repairing it? if it’s replacing I suspect they will need a big old tin opener to cut a hole in the side , I hope the work involves checking the other engines whilst they are at it.

As you say a very large tin opener would be required. It has always been that a new engine was required but I suppose that is all supposition.

I missed off the excellent piano playerfrom the entertainers list.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scarlton said:

Berthed the other way around.

She was definitely berthed “stern first” last year; I still have the photo I took as we walked back from the town as my laptop background ;) 

I would imagine that berthing will depend on where the ship has come from and the tidal conditions on arrival. We came down the Seine on Magellan leaving just after high water and arriving at Honfleur at high water which I'm sure was no accident! (the tidal streams seem to be quite complex) and it seems logical that we should berth in the same direction. If the vessel is visiting Honfleur only then it is usually easier to berth against the tide so the direction will depend on the arrival, and probably the departure time as well.

You can look up the tide times online. There is apparently a 2 hour stand at high water Honfleur. It's all very complicated!

Not long after the incident I believe BF said that the engine was to be replaced, I think it's in one of the newsdesk releases?

They'll go through the plating of vehicle decks 3 & 2 to gain access to the generators and engine.