Pilgrim

Does the new 15% discount apply to us footies, anyone?

4 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Do Club members get a further discount and does it apply to one way tickets?

Happy new year

Stu

As far as I can tell by making dummy bookings Club members do get a further discount but around another 15% so there's no advantage in the current offer.

The reasoning behind this new pricing structure would be interesting to know. This offer is open until February and for all French routes until the end of the summer schedules. There is now quite a gap between `pay now` (make sure your travel insurance is in place) and the graduated schemes for which there is no discount. When you look at the price of the Le Havre crossings, there are some very attractive prices, particularly, when all being well, they will be on the Normandie. 

When the new scheme was released BF reckoned that the middle pricing structure would be their most popular. Yet now we have had a significant relaunch. I wonder by how much bookings have stalled to make this offer at the start of the peak booking season.

I think these sudden discounts are quite a disincentive to early booking.  I still remember being caught out several years ago when I'd booked five return crossings as soon as the timetables were released only for a sudden sale to knock around £30 off the price of each if only I had waited..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angel said:

I think these sudden discounts are quite a disincentive to early booking.  I still remember being caught out several years ago when I'd booked five return crossings as soon as the timetables were released only for a sudden sale to knock around £30 off the price of each if only I had waited..

Agreed!

We booked crossing to Spain for Easter and again in September these were booked in September and October this year. I will be disappointed if subsequently they are reduced. Brittany ferries should automatically adjust previous bookings to the lower price. This September we had booked the Parador in Benavente months in advance. This hotel reduced its room rate about three months before we were due to arrive they notified us of the change and sent an amended booking with the new price. Most impressed.

Ian

21 hours ago, Paully said:

When the new scheme was released BF reckoned that the middle pricing structure would be their most popular. Yet now we have had a significant relaunch. I wonder by how much bookings have stalled to make this offer at the start of the peak booking season.

Quite a lot I should imagine. Leaving aside every other disincentive to visit France at the moment I think customers are getting increasingly fed up with being treated like idiots by marketing people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If bookings have stalled it may be because the cancellation charges are too steep. I can book hotels in France using Booking.com, giving them a credit card number but can cancel without losing money up to a few days before arrival. But with B/F I can amend, but stand to lose a lot of money if I cancel - so I certainly don't book in January for a holiday in June - and it sounds as though a lot of others are following that path.

Big change for me next year. Instead of booking 6 returns (and paying any amendment fees if I change) I have opted for 4 flexi outbounds and only 1 booked return. I'm hoping that this will give me greater flexibility and considerable savings on picking up any discount bargains on return economy ticket crossings without any deposit  being paid. I also will stay longer in France to avoid at least 2 extra crossings as I normally do, just to go home and cut the grass! At years end I shall see if I saved anything on my annual spend.

I believe I can do it. Thanks BF.😎

Stu