Sign in to follow this  
Lampypete

Jersey Travel Options

Hi all, looking for advice on crossing to Jersey, I live in Portsmouth so sailing with the Clipper is the easier option but is also slow. Liberation is faster but means driving to Poole, also more expensive. 

Can anyone offer opinions one way or the other? I'd like to take my car (again opinions welcome) 

Travelling June 2020 outside of school holidays. 

I would opt for Poole and Liberation.  Not being biased because I live locally or because I have a soft spot for the Lib, but as you would prefer to travel by boat, the two options available are the Clipper and the Lib.  

Poole might be more expensive to get to, and Portsmouth preferable from a point of money.

I am presuming to get to Jersey you are contemplating a long time at sea and possibly from Portsmouth an overnight option.

Liberation IS fast and more convenient as a crossing, any money saved by travelling to Poole would be spent anyway by the time you have spent on a cabin and the food and drink you would need on a longed crossing.  Cabin and food expense you would save on Lib as she is only at sea for a few hours and she does not have cabins that need paying for.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lampypete said:

Hi all, looking for advice on crossing to Jersey, I live in Portsmouth so sailing with the Clipper is the easier option but is also slow. Liberation is faster but means driving to Poole, also more expensive. 

Can anyone offer opinions one way or the other? I'd like to take my car (again opinions welcome) 

Travelling June 2020 outside of school holidays. 

Pesonally I would sail overnight to St Malo on Bretagne, spend a few days in the area, then an hour to Jersey on the Rapide. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wortley said:

Pesonally I would sail overnight to St Malo on Bretagne, spend a few days in the area, then an hour to Jersey on the Rapide. 

That's quite a lot more though.  I just looked at bookings with Condor and you could do the return going out from Portsmouth (as a day sailing - 9am departure 19:30 arrival)  and returning via Poole (14:45 dep, 19:25 arrival) for a total of £300. This was for two people and a car in June. Those times seem fairly civilised to me.  You could swap the outward leg for a Poole departure (06:30, 11:00 arrival) for the same cost.

To build in a trip on Bretagne the cost rises to £588.  Even if you take out the £55 cabin cost from the equation that's still a £233 premium and an extra 8 hours or 13 hours at sea depending on whether you wish to try the Clipper or not.  

• Like 1

I'd go on the Clipper as you'll be guaranteed to get there if the weather turns nasty. Plus the Clipper is a vastly more civilised mode of transport.

• Like 1