Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Cherbourg - Dublin as a mini break?

Anyone with thoughts on the idea of a mini break Cherbourg to Dublin? Either straight turnround and return or with a couple of nights stopover in Dublin? Probably in May.

I've had mixed reports from folk here in Normandie about  Irish Ferries so would welcome some sensible input.

TIA

Ken

Structurally, the WB Yeats is a fine ship and she sails very smoothly.

However, as you have probably read there are a lot of niggles with this ship.

1) The whole feel of the ship is open plan almost everywhere. There are no nooks and crannies just to chill out, read a book, listen to your iPod or whatever. There is a relatively quiet observation lounge on one of the upper decks, but it feels like it was put in there as an afterthought.

2) In June, July and August the ship feels like a floating creche - screaming kids everywhere. So May is a wise choice.

3) Unfortunately, the ship inside feels like a cross between a late 1990's call centre and a really cheap version of an Ikea showroom. The Oscar Wilde ship felt a lot more classy.

4) The fixtures and fittings feel very cheap.  One chair in the main bar which I sat on, the back of it just sank beneath the seat. The plastic coverings used to cover screws in the bunks also just seem to fall off! The bathroom door in my cabin had already two screws missing on its hinge which meant the door was not flush with its frame. 

5) The public address / speaker system is atrocious. It sounds like something out of Das Boot - producing an awful tinny static-infused sound.

6) The entertainment setup in the main bar (traditional Irish music band) felt very improvised. The band, while good, were just sitting on some chairs surrounded by a retractable belt barrier - the kind that you would find at a bank. No elevated stage - they just seemed crammed in the corner of the bar. 

7) The deck layout plans posted in the public areas are a joke. Unbelievably, on first boarding the ship, I was trying to locate my cabin only to be told by a crew member to ignore the cabin map because it's wrong! He kindly gave me directions instead.

8 ) The standard cabins do feel more airy and have more comfortable beds than BF which is nice.

9) The food in the self service restaurant was fairly industrial. I opted for the chicken curry which was very average. The next morning in the same restaurant, the Irish breakfast stewing under hot lamps the next morning looked totally unappetising. I opted for a coffee instead.    

10) There is a decent amount of outdoor deck space to roam around. The view of the Wicklow Mountains on your left as the ship travels up the Irish Sea is spectacular - and was one of the highlights of the trip. Arriving into Dublin Port is also very interesting, as you get a birds eye view of the now decommissioned Pigeon House Power Station.

The sailing I was on in early July was relatively busy. I think the WB Yeats might be a much more enjoyable ship in an out-of-season crossing. The online booking facility offered by Irish Ferries is highly intuitive and much quicker to use than BF. Moreover, I had to make a last minute change to my booking and the Live Chat agent - implemented it in less then 3 minutes. Highly impressive.

Overall, it was not a bad crossing but Irish Ferries really let this ship down by doing it on the cheap. It felt like the fit-out of the ship was managed by cost-cutting accountants who were trained by Ryanair. I hope BF do not make the same mistake on their new builds!

As for Dublin. Nice city, friendly locals. The city centre is around the same size as Amsterdam (centre). Currently experiencing a tourist boom, hence hotel prices can be high if booking is left late.

The posh Lady Gregory restaurant was expensive in 2019 (€60 for 3 courses) but staff are ex Oscar Wilde and very good. Only tried breakfast but not as good as OW's was. The Club Class is very good with excellent snacks and views; breakfast here was only available on Irish Sea crossings. There were complaints that TVs didn't work, steward showed us that you point the remote and the box behind the TV. Can't say the boat is quiet in the early part of the season, as we came back to Dublin with 10 coaches of french schoolkids on board.

I couldn't agree more with Zuludelta's comments, spot on with everything and I just hope things will have improved for 2020 - but I'm not holding my breath....:S

Dublin is such a great city though and you should really try for a 2 night stopover Ken. There are some good offers available until mid-June if you want to take the car, otherwise there are as many taxis as private vehicles in the city if you travel as a footie - at least that's the way it seems to be!

Chris 

• Like 1

Just now, Fine Whine said:

I couldn't agree more with Zuludelta's comments, spot on with everything and I just hope things will have improved for 2020 - but I'm not holding my breath....:S

Ideally, the ship needs a new fit-out of it's main public areas in the next 2-3 years. Executed right, the WB Yeats could easily be brought up to Viking Grace quality standards!

4 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Dublin is such a great city though and you should really try for a 2 night stopover Ken. There are some good offers available until mid-June if you want to take the car, otherwise there are as many taxis as private vehicles in the city if you travel as a footie - at least that's the way it seems to be!

Chris 

Two days should just about cover it, one day for a visit to the Guinness Store House and the other day for the Jameson Distillery on Bow Street .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wortley said:

I like the sound of of a couple of days in Dublin - I'm starting to look up RyanAir prices 😀

The coaches from the airport are frequent entering the top end of the city in different ways, cheap enough too.

https://www.aircoach.ie/timetables

We use them if we fly as they stop right outside the Burlington Hotel, the missus attends something called BTOG (British Thoracic Oncology Group) end of January every other year. I carry the bags and get three days to mooch about.

Prefer the ferry myself.

Thanks Jonno - helpful. i realise you and many on here prefer a ferry, but money talks.

I live near Plymouth and find that I can fly from Bristol to Dublin with RyanAir for £20 return - but the train fare from here to Liverpool is £100 return - and I never even looked at the add on ferry costs to Dublin from there.  I fear I am not such a ferry enthusiasts as many others on here.😞

8 minutes ago, wortley said:

Thanks Jonno - helpful. i realise you and many on here prefer a ferry, but money talks.

I live near Plymouth and find that I can fly from Bristol to Dublin with RyanAir for £20 return - but the train fare from here to Liverpool is £100 return - and I never even looked at the add on ferry costs to Dublin from there.  I fear I am not such a ferry enthusiasts as many others on here.😞

I keep away from flights for the most part for other reasons, one or two short hauls a year if needs must, it's not specifically related to ships although I do prefer them.

Have you looked at Flybe from Exeter?