UK-CI pax ferry figures

53 minutes ago, penguin said:

You'll be complaining their rock music is too loud next!

Do we actually think ferry travel is any better for the environment than flying? Whilst it's not had the same media attention, I can't imagine it's any better, especially not the fast cats in question.

Been saying that music is too loud in most places for years.

As for the environment most of the ferries we travel on are doing the sailing for freight, other than the fast cats, so carrying passengers is not harming the environment so much.

49 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Plus LNG and scrubbers will help loads. And Viking Line are experimenting with rotar sails and some short haul Scandinavian ferries are powered by battery packs for part of the journey.

I've always thought scrubbers were a terrible idea, pumping sulphur into the sea when we already have massive problems with acidification of the waters and bleaching corals. LNG is clearly a massive improvement and a much cleaner fuel.

I have to say the boom years were in 1980s and early 90s and those people were parents in their 30/40s with kids, The kids obviously went their own way to other destinations but the people who do not want to change where they go have kept going back. They are now in their 70s/80s and probably not being replaced as there are far more places to go now then an offshoot of Britain even though charming and I have loved my holidays there. I would not choose now for my main holiday and I was one of those kids in the 80s that went with my parents every year. Things change and that is what is happening here. Nothing to do with vessels and sailings as planes are not as well booked as when I use to go.

Edited by adicat
2 minutes ago, adicat said:

I have to say the boom years were in 1980s and early 90s and those people were parents in their 30/40s with kids, The kids obviously went their own way to other destinations but the people who do not want to change where they go have kept going back. They are now in their 70s/80s and probably not being replaced as there are far more places to go now then an offshoot of Britain even though charming and I have loved my holidays there. I would not choose now for my main holiday and I was one of those kids in the 80s that went with my parents every year. Things change and that is what is happening here. Nothing to do with vessels and sailings as planes are not as well booked as when I use to go.

Not totally true. Tourism to Jersey by air is incressing its just sea travel has declined massively. Not saying Jersey's tourism is like the old days but Easyjet has really opened up the market.

The ship we have does not help. No day trip traffic, less sailings per day plus she gets cancelled more often than the incats did.

6 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Not totally true. Tourism to Jersey by air is incressing its just sea travel has declined massively. Not saying Jersey's tourism is like the old days but Easyjet has really opened up the market.

The ship we have does not help. No day trip traffic, less sailings per day plus she gets cancelled more often than the incats did.

Easy jet may fly there but a number of previous ones do not. The frequencies are less as well. Total tourism seems to be down, It depends when you take the figures from and build in all the other parameters like available beds, number of flights/crossing now from then, age demographic at the times...….

I think with Jersey it's now favoured by people who take shorter breaks. This group of people are probably less inclined to go by ferry.

Still why despite the Isle of Man having less people and tourism than the Channel Islands, why are their passenger figures more than ours? Go to the official UK Government sea passenger statistics page for yourself to check.

• 1 year later...

I see Condor are reporting losses of £40m and a drop in passenger numbers of 96% for 2020. The good news is they have a cunning plan let's hope they didn't get it from Baldrick.

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/01/13/condor-recovery-plan-ready-for-when-restrictions-ease/