SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

I can see the Roscoff, Cherbourg and St Malo routes being cancelled for a further period than has currently been specified.

Me too.  Part of me suspects that they are doing it a bit at a time so as to keep the numbers of customers who need to be contacted to (relatively) manageable levels.

I had a notice on Messenger this morning that someone I know who works on Barfy (cleaning team) is not able to work and will while she is not sailing so I really feel for him as he will be on unpaid leave.  

4 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I had a notice on Messenger this morning that someone I know who works on Barfy (cleaning team) is not able to work and will while she is not sailing so I really feel for him as he will be on unpaid leave.  

Among about 7 million other people on similar contracts in the UK.

Depends on where Ouistreham is with the work that was going to be done ahead of the arrival of Honfleur.  If that work (widening of the turning circle) has been done then there is a chance she could get in (and out) there.  However, it’s only a chance, and if the work hasn’t yet been done then, no, she certainly would not fit.

She does, however, of course, fit Le Havre, and I am fascinated by the decision to operate this freight route to Cherbourg rather than Le Havre.  Maybe that is to do with the suspension of sailings to Brittany.

I'm assuming all suspended vessels will return to their French ports for the time being then? Perhaps Connemara is operating to Cherbourg as Etretat or Normandie might be sitting on the berth if space becomes tight in the main docks? 

Thinking about it, I’m slightly surprised they are keeping MSM going.  To run the necessary freight links, you’d think that operating Connemara to Cherbourg and Etretat to Le Havre would have sufficed.

Maybe the extra sailing per day that MSM can run is important.  And, to Cherbourg, they might even be able to get 3 daily sailings out of Connemara.

So I wonder if the schedule will be MSM and Connemara operating against each other, so that there is a morning, afternoon and overnight sailing in each direction each day.  But just with Caen and Cherbourg alternating. (?)

3 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

I'm assuming all suspended vessels will return to their French ports for the time being then? Perhaps Connemara is operating to Cherbourg as Etretat or Normandie might be sitting on the berth if space becomes tight in the main docks? 

Very much doubt Etretat will sit on the berth at Le Havre.  They always seem keen to get ferries off that berth when they are not loading and unloading.

I expect that most of them will go to lay-up berths at Cherbourg and in the Le Havre inner dock complex.

29 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note that Normandie is moved from Ouisterham and the Connemara will serve Cherbourg, 

Would the Connemara fit in Ouistreham or is it just better to have a freight option to Cherbourg ?

She is stern loading only and the Caen ships all berth bow in, presumably to save turning as they leave the berth.

1 minute ago, Solo said:

She is stern loading only and the Caen ships all berth bow in, presumably to save turning as they leave the berth.

At present the boats do a U turn when arriving at Ousitreham, they would just have to do it on leaving instead, however I imagine that Gareth's comment re width of turning circle may be correct - however it was meant to be widened almost a year ago !

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Solo said:

Being a stern loader would not stop her using the berth at Ouistreham.  (Just means the turn is on departure rather than arrival).

Even if she does fit, I can see two reasons why Connemara may be operating by choice to Cherbourg instead.  One is the likelihood that it will enable an extra daily sailing.  The other is the proximity of Cherbourg to Brittany when all sailings to St Malo and Roscoff have been cancelled.

• Like 1

According to the timetables, Plymouth-Roscoff sailings have been cancelled until 12th April, apart from three sailings from Plymouth on 27th March and 3rd & 10th April.

St Malo & Cherbourg also both cancelled until 13th April

Edited by Paul

'Etretat' docked in Le Havre (Astern of 'Normandie Express'), 'Pont-Aven' on the Linkspan in Le Havre, Barfleur currently en route to Caen, Baie de Seine held in Le Havre until March 25th.

Photo: Philippe P. Brébant

89933290_3130865350259383_8078632174363869184_o.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 3

Expect 'Normandie' in Le Havre on Thursday too.

'Pont-Aven' just moved off the linkspan, heading round the corner. Probably off to join 'Etretat' and 'Normandie Express' or 'Baie de Seine'.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
43 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Etretat' docked in Le Havre (Astern of 'Normandie Express'), 'Pont-Aven' on the Linkspan in Le Havre, Barfleur currently en route to Caen, Baie de Seine held in Le Havre until March 25th.

Photo: Philippe P. Brébant

89933290_3130865350259383_8078632174363869184_o.jpg

Presumably the re-stocked her, stacked to the gills with languistines etc, and now have to de-camp everything again. 
wonder if the crews will take home all that GRUB!