SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

I’d be very surprised if she spends an extended period of layup on the berth at St Malo.  For one thing, the berth is used by other vessels from time to time.  Strange place to go to de-store though - as you say, Cherbourg would be more logical.  I wonder if perhaps she is doing a freight sailing before going to lay up?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

Condor Rapide is still sailing and offering repatriation crossings to Guernsey and Jersey until next Sunday after which date it will stop running until at least 2 April. They can obviously use the other berth if Bretagne does remain in St Malo. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

There was, allegedly, at one time in the distant past, a ferry service that went all the way up to the docks at Caen.  But I’ve never had any success finding out any information about it.

I too have always thought that there was at some time a small ferry service but now I wonder whether I'm confusing it with the one at Caen Hill near Devizes.

The new lock at Ouistreham can transfer vessels upto 160m long and 26 metres wide.

I like Caen it has an varied history, shame it was mostly flattened 75 years ago because of it's importance and why the Allies thought it vital. The docks are surprisingly larger than a visitor might expect although in a similar way to many areas there is a lot of redevelopment planned. The Hippodrome is famous and home to horse racing. It's also surprising the amount of manufacturing which goes on adjacent to the banks of the canal and the Orne..

So Bretagne has nearly completed her daytime voyage to St-Malo - it suddenly dawned on me, is that a first or was she rostered to do the same back in 2004 when running alongside Val de Loire?

Just one of those stupid things that comes to you when trade is absolutely dead...:/

Chris

• Like 1

There have been some one-off daytime sailings in tandem with Pont Aven during the period between Xmas and NY in the past.  At least one that I can remember, mainly for positional reasons when they have been maintaining the St Malo service and using PA on the route in between her cruises.  It was several years ago though.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Gareth said:

I’d be very surprised if she spends an extended period of layup on the berth at St Malo.  For one thing, the berth is used by other vessels from time to time.  Strange place to go to de-store though - as you say, Cherbourg would be more logical.  I wonder if perhaps she is doing a freight sailing before going to lay up?

I was referring back to this Ed - last night’s sailing from Portsmouth.  Tony thought she might be going to lay up in St Malo.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The Portsmouth to St Malo this morning probably was a freight sailing but now she is heading to Le Havre.

Exactly. 👍

2 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Why is Le Havre the preferred port to lay up the fleet?  Is it cheaper than elsewhere?

Dunno, but it seems that Normandie, Etretat, Pont-Aven, Bretagne & Normandie Express will all be together in Quai de L'Europe.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
19 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Why is Le Havre the preferred port to lay up the fleet?  Is it cheaper than elsewhere?

Sheltered, non-tidal in the inner basins (so doesn’t need constant attention to the winches), spacious, and so out of the way that there will be no need to move from time to time to vacate the berths.

Dunkerque would also fit all those considerations, but is a long way away and doesn’t seem to be on BF’s supplier list.

The only other place realistically in the area would be Cherbourg, but there’s probably only space there for three or four ships and they would need constant attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1