Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

I think the MCA would draw the line at remaining on the car deck cross channel. They have, reluctantly, allowed it cross Solent but only on very limited sailings. There are all sorts of Health and Safety issues/ Insurance liability/ regulations but these trips are soley within UK and remain within the remit and supervision of the MCA. To do it cross channel would be a non starter I would suggest.

• Like 1

How about we all buy one of these to use on the ferries. In the common areas we can keep a reasonable distance, if we stay on the car decks and it's rough then we just bounce off eachother and the sides of the ship and if we have to abandon ship we can walk back to shore.

https://www.amazon.fr/Zorbing-water-meter-adultes-1-0mm/dp/B00SG15FQY/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Zorb+Ball+Inflatable&qid=1591270390&sr=8-16

8 minutes ago, Paully said:

the MCA

Do you have their email address so I can submit my idea?

Ed

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paully said:

I think the MCA would draw the line at remaining on the car deck cross channel. They have, reluctantly, allowed it cross Solent but only on very limited sailings. There are all sorts of Health and Safety issues/ Insurance liability/ regulations but these trips are soley within UK and remain within the remit and supervision of the MCA. To do it cross channel would be a non starter I would suggest.

I remember the days when people stood on the car decks or sat in their vehicles on Wightlink C Class mid crossing before rule changes.  People used to get covered in sea spray and not give a flying ferret.  Fond memories.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

How about we all buy one of these to use on the ferries. In the common areas we can keep a reasonable distance, if we stay on the car decks and it's rough then we just bounce off eachother and the sides of the ship and if we have to abandon ship we can walk back to shore.

https://www.amazon.fr/Zorbing-water-meter-adultes-1-0mm/dp/B00SG15FQY/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Zorb+Ball+Inflatable&qid=1591270390&sr=8-16

Do you have their email address so I can submit my idea?

Ed

How long before there is a new game of sea-croquet at Durdle Door using these?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Khaines said:

I remember the days when people stood on the car decks or sat in their vehicles on Wightlink C Class mid crossing before rule changes.  People used to get covered in sea spray and not give a flying ferret.  Fond memories.

Now you just stand under the funnel of any of the ships with scrubbers to get covered in spray.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Now you just stand under the funnel of any of the ships with scrubbers to get covered in spray.

In the olden days you stood under the funnels of the C Class and got sprayed with soot - someone once said on this forum it is why they kept the engines running in port..😂.   Just asked a question about this on another part of the forum - someone could elaborate on that one..

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1

Thanks for that update to both Nick and Tony..I think that explanation and the sombre views of the CEO yesterday would indicate that some serious cut backs are in progress. At best their summer season is going to be the `school holidays` with a couple of extra weeks either side. Freight levels will almost certainly be reduced but by how much is conjecture, which can`t help them. I can certainly see short term closures of some bases/routes both sides of the channel. Passenger wise I think that the reduction in travellers will be close to matching the reduced availability, with an onboard offering matching `Economie`. 

I can see Etretat being reactivated and a bigger role for the Visintinis` this year. I note they have laid off a large number of staff and I can`t see them being in a position to want to re hire them for a relatively short period of time. We will have to wait until the Company informs us of their plans, as speculation just goes round in circles.

I also think this statement has a particular French political aspect aimed directly at the Elysee. I would be suprised if it went unheeded at this time.

10 minutes ago, Paully said:

I note they have laid off a large number of staff and I can`t see them being in a position to want to re hire them for a relatively short period of time

As far as I am aware???? they have a large number of permanent employees on "chomage partiel" whereby the government covers the lion's share of salary costs. I guess it is a question of what you mean by laid off and re-hire? They are still full time employees, and any move to terminate their contracts would be "resisted"..... One way or another BF will receive support from the state to survive, and to maintain employment.

What ships come back on what routes, schedules and under what conditions will be driven by government policies and customer demand.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, colin said:

As far as I am aware???? they have a large number of permanent employees on "chomage partiel" whereby the government covers the lion's share of salary costs. I guess it is a question of what you mean by laid off and re-hire? They are still full time employees, and any move to terminate their contracts would be "resisted"..... One way or another BF will receive support from the state to survive, and to maintain employment.

What ships come back on what routes, schedules and under what conditions will be driven by government policies and customer demand.

Thanks for that Colin, `the Partial unemployment` lost something in the translation, as often happens😀. But I agree that BF will survive and as the biggest French employer of seafarers it would be unthinkable to allow them to fail. Similarly it will be interesting to see the routes and schedules that survive in the immediate term. Hopefully all will be revealed soon.

Edited by Paully

Hopefully sailings should be a lot clearer this time next week,

I also hope we will hear something on Quarantine this week as well as allowing Macron in and then saying that is allowed on page 46 of the regulations is a bit like the Cummings defence, 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Hopefully sailings should be a lot clearer this time next week,

I also hope we will hear something on Quarantine this week as well as allowing Macron in and then saying that is allowed on page 46 of the regulations is a bit like the Cummings defence, 

Its called Real Politik...Boris and Macron have been cooking something up for a while now. It may take time but eventually all will become clear. I would suggest the given reason is a smokescreen for the real one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paully said:

Its called Real Politik...Boris and Macron have been cooking something up for a while now. It may take time but eventually all will become clear. I would suggest the given reason is a smokescreen for the real one.

I am sure it is, however they did announce a June visit to present the honour at the end of last year. I imagine that it went quiet as they worked out whether it is possible. I hope that it is presented to the City of London as the real Major will be more gracious than the other one !

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I am getting a bit confused and I now have 4 RCNs...

So 15th June (2 Days time) French border opens.

The 100km rule is off.

The French have said that quarantine is voluntary and only for people arriving by air anyway.

Quarantine on UK side is likely to end on the 29th June.

Brittany Ferries have said they will carry people on exempt list.

So why are Brittany Ferries not allowing travel for normal passengers from the 15th June?

I am booking Eurotunnel for the 17th and hoping to return Caen - Portsmouth on the 29th June. I am pretty fed up with politicians now, it's been a farce as they shift policy, go all air centric and forget that Ferries have a vastly different risk profile.

Edited by SRN4
Spelling

The usual advice would be to ask them - but as they don't seem to be contactable I suppose your guess is as good as anybody else's. Mind you looking for logic anywhere in recent weeks has defeated me and for that reason I suspect within a very short time people will be doing just what they want anyway.

• Like 1

Taking non freight passengers is slightly more complicated than just saying so. The logistics involved can only be justified if there are enough takers. Onboard staffing, catering, supplies, port staff, cleaning and sanitising.... I am sure BF have done their best to be ready, but the lack of clarity going forward from governments, particularly UK, has not enabled making a concrete plan ....

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, colin said:

Taking non freight passengers is slightly more complicated than just saying so. The logistics involved can only be justified if there are enough takers. Onboard staffing, catering, supplies, port staff, cleaning and sanitising.... I am sure BF have done their best to be ready, but the lack of clarity going forward from governments, particularly UK, has not enabled making a concrete plan ....

They have been taking passengers for the last few weeks, originally it was done quietly, however is now fully highlighted, the recent update said:-

The on board teams have been trialing several of the operational changes required during the small number of essential travel sailings we have been operating (please use the “currently abroad” contact form if this is something you may like to take advantage of) and the results have been good.  

and this is also highlighted on the make a booking page.

5 hours ago, Paully said:

Cooking something up and smokescreen in the same sentence sounds a bit ominous .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

They have been taking passengers for the last few weeks, originally it was done quietly, however is now fully highlighted, the recent update said:-

The on board teams have been trialing several of the operational changes required during the small number of essential travel sailings we have been operating (please use the “currently abroad” contact form if this is something you may like to take advantage of) and the results have been good.  

and this is also highlighted on the make a booking page.

They are doing what they can to anticipate things changing, but I would not read too much into that right now? How many of the only 5 ships? How many passengers? How many onboard staff?

My thinking remains that to ramp up to offering open passenger services there is a lot more clarity needed. If BF said, fine, Monday we are running Plymouth - Roscoff, Portsmouth - St Malo, Ouistreham and Le Havre, Poole - Cherbourg, plus the Spanish routes, how do you see that working? We are all in this together and I hope we will all still be there when we get used to the "new normal" in some weeks or months time.

• Like 1

No matter when the ferries start sailing, our problem here in Ireland is the government. They have yet to rescind their advice against non-essential travel despite the rest of the EU opening borders on Monday. To travel against Irish Government advice would invalidate any travel insurance.

28 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

To travel against Irish Government advice would invalidate any travel insurance.

Hopefully that will change soon ( and the UK advice ), however for new trips most people will have  no covid cover anyway and have to rely on the EHIC. Next year UK residents won’t even have that.

• Like 1

Our friends who are Spanish residents have just had their ferry from Santander to Portsmouth on the 28th June cancelled and rebooked for 4th July and a very increased cost. No reason given in their email. 

• Thanks 1