SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

Who would want to be be a travel operator in this incompetent and ill conceived morass of political confusion.?

As a potential customer I'll just stay at home I'm afraid. And even there I'm still confused as to what I can do when and with who.

We have  been shamfefully let down by our indecisive and apparently ignorant political masters. It's not surprising that much of the population have chosen to do their own thing really.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

2 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Well unless you wipe out the virus completely (which you won't do), always going to be a risk of reimporting it. Other countries don't seem so concerned now though...

There comes a point when you have to re ignite your economy or else there wont be one to go back to. A lot of people are wanting to simply get back on with life and accept that every day is a risk of some sort or another. Our lot seem to be listening to the over cautious petrified types, which to be honest is one of the reasons for the fudge we are presently in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes that is quite true but it impacts on some people more than others.

The issue is that while most of us may be equally likely or unlikely to fall foul of the bug, those of us of a more advanced age are significantly less likely to survive it.

If you haven't got too many years of active life to look forward to in the normal run of things you do tend to placer a disproporionately high value on them!

Difficult isn't it?

• Like 4

I'm in the almost 70 category, and with one of the underlying health problem categories for the avoidance of doubt

Edited by Paully
  • Like 2

You call this active life - sorry Colin but you must have a different notion of what that means to me. If the time I have left means I have to live like this, with nippers at school but not allowed to be near each other and it's seen as acceptable to play a test match without a crowd - the acme of pointlessness - well you can keep it.

My father who is 90 and in a care home has been prevented from seeing his family for months - some quality of life that. Some would call it cruelty. I wouldn't argue. Of course he can't get into the car and drive to Durham winked at by his high and mighty - and well heeled -  friends.

I've played along since the first week of March, but today after going round a Garden Centre being treated as if I had the plague I decided, yes, I'd had enough of it. There are some prices it is simply not worth paying.

I think we have all paid enough now. 

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 5

Millsy,

I think it is proportionate. We are not cowering indoors, far from it. Just modifying our behaviour. Within a three quartermile walk we have  access to a huge field extending up towards the Surrey greensand ridge from where you can see the South Downs, a lovely rural location which gives us a 2.5 mile walk once or twice a week an really blows the cobwebs away..The other day we drove down to Arundel and from the high street walked up and around the castle and into Arundel park, returning via Swanscombe lake and back to the town centre. It was just idyllic. Pretty actiive really.

What I don't want is to get tangled up with often younger people who have no concerns about social distancing and couldn't care less if they pass the virus on to us or not. Maybe just a minor infliction for them but it could  kill us.

I can manage without going around garden centres but I do value the great outdoors..

(DTR)IMG_0102.JPG

(DTR)IMG_0109.JPG

Field (1).jpg

Field (2).jpg

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Millsy,

I think it is proportionate. We are not cowering indoors, far from it. Just modifying our behaviour. Within a three quartermile walk we have  access to a huge field extending up towards the Surrey greensand ridge from where you can see the South Downs, a lovely rural location which gives us a 2.5 mile walk once or twice a week an really blows the cobwebs away..The other day we drove down to Arundel and from the high street walked up and around the castle and into Arundel park, returning via Swanscombe lake and back to the town centre. It was just idyllic. Pretty actiive really.

What I don't want is to get tangled up with often younger people who have no concerns about social distancing and couldn't care less if they pass the virus on to us or not. Maybe just a minor infliction for them but it could  kill us.

I can manage without going around garden centres but I do value the great outdoors..

(DTR)IMG_0102.JPG

(DTR)IMG_0109.JPG

Field (1).jpg

Field (2).jpg

Great pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the splendid pictures of Arundel - though they do prompt the sad thought that this year there’ll be no Sussex cricket match at the ground in the castle park, the most beautiful venue for first-class cricket in the country.

I too am lucky enough to live in a beautiful area, and being unable to leave the IoW for over 3 months has been no real hardship. I’m very happy to keep clear of thoughtless youths - and not just them, as there also seem to be quite a few of older generations who are behaving as though the whole virus threat is a hoax.

But I have a constant reminder from my window of the economic havoc that is being caused - most of the Marella cruise ships, occasional Cunard and P&O visitors, and other smaller cruise ships, all anchored uselessly in Sandown Bay. And if you are among the people whose livelihoods and finances have been wrecked by the lockdown, I am sure it’s hard to be as relaxed as I can afford to be about the situation.

• Like 1

That for me is the main issue. Boneheads like Johnson seem to think in their very little brains that the zillions of pound of our money they have thrown at this - don't even think about next year's budget, just be scared very scared - will enable things to go back to normal at some point. Problem. Recessions, despite what some economists would have you believe are down at bottom to confidence. Even people with money find reasons to stop spending. What confidence will people have after this? I have friend here who has been trying to sell a listed house needing work for nearly two years now in order to wind up an estate. It was an un-lettable (without 5 figures being spent) hard sell up to February. What price now? What little capital there is left will be spent on keeping the place standing. He has no idea where to turn, but the anti-depressants (telephone consultation naturally) do seem to be helping at last. He represents millions. 

Mind you there is a silver lining. At least we are not living in Trumpland.  My few contacts there are in nothing short of despair.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 2

I think there is a new normal ahead of us. Something for us to adapt to, get used to and not be scared of. New habits can be good habits. We would all agree that there is plenty in our world that can improve, though we may have a fine old argument about what and how. There are lessons to learn from this crisis, and about ourselves. The day we stop learning would be tragic.

So, positive thoughts everyone, but we can be careful too. Over or under estimating this virus and its impact would be unwise.

Let us all help to provide a better future for the generations to come.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Well unless you wipe out the virus completely (which you won't do), always going to be a risk of reimporting it. Other countries don't seem so concerned now though...

There will be another one along before you know it! I think the only way forward is to bio-hack yourself to be completely immune to ANY virus strain, forever. (allegedly possible, and being done experimented with by dark-hat DNAers on themselves in parts of Asia). Hopefully on a few decades this kind of thing will be normal...

9 hours ago, David Williams said:

Nice tweet

Since my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer I have not posted on the forum, with news like that BFE and even the French home we made and love seem somehow less important. 

However moved by this post and encouraged by Mrs Allee I would like to say this.

As a constituent of this MP, it’s nice to see her getting involved with local issues from her Yorkshire  home, the  tweet is made in her capacity Secretary of State for European Neighbourhood, A fact that we find Hilarious as it’s quite clear from every piece of correspondence  between Mrs A and Ms Morton, she wants nothing at all to do with Europe     ever! 

Please please BF give her a ferry ticket for this publicity she’s given you, preferably one way one, so that Aldridge Brownhills is rid of her forever. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, IanN said:

A good sign PA on the move

According to Le Havre's schedule, she's going to Roscoff, not sure if she will though.

Bretagne is due depart Le Havre on 28/06/20 at 17:00 bound for St Malo

Normandie is due to depart on 28/06/20 at 20:00 bound for Ouistreham

*Subject to change.

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

According to Le Havre's schedule, she's going to Roscoff, not sure if she will though.

Bretagne is due depart Le Havre on 28/06/20 at 17:00 bound for St Malo

Normandie is due to depart on 28/06/20 at 20:00 bound for Ouistreham

*Subject to change.

Why move them if they're not in service for another for another fortnight?

2 minutes ago, jonno said:

I've just been in touch with a crew member, he tells me he's joining Pont-Aven early Sunday and is due to leave the port of Le Havre at 08:00, he's currently unsure what or where the vessel is going.

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, jonno said:

Especially at Ouistreham where the berth is needed.  Better leaving Normandie and PA where they are? 

PA starts from Portsmouth doesn't she? So will either restore in le havre or go to Cherbourg. Armorique is heading to Roscoff now so that berth is taken.

Addition: can't remember what happened earlier this year...did PA re-enter service post Gdansk? Or head straight to lay up? Am I right in thinking she was in Cherbourg for a bit?

Edited by Tumnus2010

I'm guessing Pont-Aven will go to Cherbourg.

Current list for Bretagne and Normandie, the same list has Etretat & Normandie Express leaving but we know that's not happening.

Bretagne & Normandie may just be moving to different berths or maybe going to Cherbourg.

2.JPG

3.JPG

Bretagne definitely looks like she's swapping berths but Normandie looks to be departing.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
1 hour ago, Malc said:

Pont Aven currently (10am BST) on linkspan in Le Havre according to Marine Traffic.

Good spot, leaving again a 17:00 by the looks of it, going to TGB3, i think that's the berth where she's been for the last few weeks.

Capture.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver