SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

77DEB0BB-E027-4074-9CA2-A3ECB9BB2892.jpeg

B67EEAD4-9B0E-4DAA-839D-74359ABD2BEE.jpeg

D2421962-2A56-46A3-9FA0-31B08DCDBD47.jpeg

Edited by Botley Dan
Spelling mistake
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Nick Anderson said:

So the pont aven is still in Portsmouth but should have left an hour ago for Santander. We re booked to travel back from Santander to Plymouth on Wednesday. Should I be worried?

She’s not due to sail to Santander until teatime on Tuesday.

Armorique safely docked in Plymouth this evening - a good crowd of Plymouthians to welcome her. Even some waving the Union Jack flag.

She looked quite empty arriving, but a good amount of cars and motor homes were being checked in for tonight’s crossing. 

• Like 3

The early departure from cabin in the past was to enable crew to strip beds. If passengers are stripping their own beds, the justification for this would seem no longer to ge there.

2 hours ago, Botley Dan said:

77DEB0BB-E027-4074-9CA2-A3ECB9BB2892.jpeg

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
9 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

First UK customers in Roscoff this morning for nearly 4 months....Yay!

All well behaved, masked and keeping the correct distance apart but no tasting allowed...:(

Chris

And Kerry arriving tomorrow afternoon from Rosslare for the first arrival of the year from Ireland .

17 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Good stuff Chris! My dad's wine cellar is distinctly lacking at the moment. He's really looking forward to coming over :)

Can I confirm that Fine Whine's emporium is the red bus outfit.

1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

Can I confirm that Fine Whine's emporium is the red bus outfit.

You could be right but I know Chris does not like to use this site for advertising, so doesn't push the actual place to much.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Solo said:

You could be right but I know Chris does not like to use this site for advertising, so doesn't push the actual place to much.

Would probably be more accurate to say he would love to advertise through the site but knows advertising is against the site rules and has the integrity to go out of his way to avoid any hint of acting against those rules.

However, he’s not known as Red Bus Chris for nothing!  A red bus would look quite good as his avatar I reckon! 😉

• Like 1

Thanks Solo. Just to be clear once and for all I participate on here when I can because I use BF services very regularly, and apart from the site being occasionally hijacked by the odd idiot (mods do a very good job in weeding them out can I say) I find life with BFE funny, stimulating, sad, frustrating, informative, sometimes all of those in the same post! I’ll PM anyone who needs help, surprisingly most messages over the last few years have been about the pitfalls to avoid when working in another EU country while still running a home in the UK - thankfully Mrs FW looks after that side of things with remarkable efficiency. 
I for one am just very pleased to see BF vessels sailing again. Yes they’ve made mistakes over the years as I’m sure they will be the first to admit, and the last few critical months have highlighted glaring deficiencies in their IT systems. Let’s hope that within a few quick months there will be a return to enjoyable crossings without the restrictions this wretched virus has imposed.

Chris

ps Just realised the “another EU country” bit is now history, we’re all allowed the occasional typo...🤣

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Would probably be more accurate to say he would love to advertise through the site but knows advertising is against the site rules and has the integrity to go out of his way to avoid any hint of acting against those rules.

However, he’s not known as Red Bus Chris for nothing!  A red bus would look quite good as his avatar I reckon! 😉

But that would be obvious advertising Gareth, and as I’ve yet to find an amphibious model I’ll  stick to my little sailing boat or view from it.....😇

Edited by Fine Whine
43 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

But that would be obvious advertising Gareth, and as I’ve yet to find an amphibious model I’ll  stick to my little sailing boat or view from it.....😇

Only if it was THE bus Chris!  But I said A bus, not THE bus!

But quite right, I like your avatar as it is. 😀

Well if 10% off to BFE members plus an additional 10% off Smirnoff Blue was available, perhaps we should allow advertising !

And maybe we could have a click and collect operation in Ouistreham as well !

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Just thought I would say I am back, returned from Caen on the overnight (Mont St Michael). Only two booths open as passport control on the UK side and Customs were out in force checking vehicles (presumably gearing up for no deal Brexit at the end of the year).

Not bad on ferry, one way system, masks mandatory, but no hot breakfasts and it seemed more expensive that normal. Used up the whole £8.50 allowance on a pain au choc, coffee, apple juice, croissant and one of those pointless 40g cereal 3 spoon packs. Fortunately I had remember tea bags and a meal for last night (eau chaude is free and microwave works well to heat up my leftovers from 12 days of work).

Now I have 14 days at home - not allowed out at all, not even for exercise. Stupid quarantine...

• Like 1

Welcome back :)

Not sure if 'more expensive than normal' is due to any special reason or just the annual price rises which kick in (I think) at the end of Feb or March. We did a St Malo day trip once around that time and the menus/prices were replaced for the return.

Hopefully if the 'travel corridor' goes in place next Monday with France I'd have thought your 14 days will get cut down to 7.

28 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hopefully if the 'travel corridor' goes in place next Monday with France I'd have thought your 14 days will get cut down to 7.

Given that quarantine will still continue from loads of places, I would have thought that it will all be based on countries visited & dates of arrival. I suspect that those who are given quarantine will have to complete it !

Portsmouth to Cherbourg Economie just gone online, £85 each way on Connemara. FW junior just booked a week return to see her folks in Normandy, haven't seen her since the end of February....:D

Chris

• Like 2

Yes, my understanding is that I am stuck for 14 days regardless... Maybe I can still go out even if I develop Covid symptoms and just say that I am testing my eyesight?

Strange thing is my family who stayed here and are now supporting my new housebound routine are of course not quarantined. I think this quarantine rule is a bit like quantum mechanics - if you think you understand it, then you don't...

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Portsmouth to Cherbourg Economie just gone online, £85 each way on Connemara. FW junior just booked a week return to see her folks in Normandy, haven't seen her since the end of February....:D

Chris

Good prices, especially after CV discount, they seem to be offering free reserved seats now as well & it is 45 mins shorter than Ouistreham.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I think that I might switch one my Ouistreham crossings to this and give it a go, it looks good value & I am sure that I can find something to do in Cherbourg !

I have just switched my inbound from Ouisterham to Cherbourg and saved £58,50 !

There is a good crossing time on a Friday afternoon - sail at 15:30, Portsmouth at 19:45

Additionally their software recognised that the ticket had a 40% CV discount & kept that discount.

Cheers, I know where that saving is going.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2