Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

From Sky News:

"Transport Secretary Grant Shapps is currently in Spain on holiday. He has said he will stay there for the duration of his holiday then self-isolate as required."

Ed

• Haha 2

Going abroad was always going to be risky in a volatile situation with more and more upsurges of infections in various countries. Just a gamble really. One of the reasons we decifed to canel our September break in Greece.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

From Sky News:

"Transport Secretary Grant Shapps is currently in Spain on holiday. He has said he will stay there for the duration of his holiday then self-isolate as required."

Ed

Every cloud and all that 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, neilcvx said:

The Leicester outbreak was apparently narrowed down to a few streets , so if the numbers get so low it would seem logical that a Spanish outbreak could follow the same pattern , unfortunately the foreign office can’t ban travel to one city the whole country seems to be the only option. 

That is the silly thing about this, the fco travel ban can and does ban travel to regions or towns where appropriate. In this case the ban is for mainland Spain. It is the public health authorities that impose quarantine on arrivals from all Spain including  the CanarIes.

Cap Finistere looks, from the tracker, to be sailing a good couple of hours behind schedule.  The passengers who boarded in Santander unaware that they will need to quarantine upon arrival look like they will be getting in nearer 10 or 11pm, rather than 8pm.

Nothing on BF’s sailings updates page.

19 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Cap Finistere looks, from the tracker, to be sailing a good couple of hours behind schedule.  The passengers who boarded in Santander unaware that they will need to quarantine upon arrival look like they will be getting in nearer 10 or 11pm, rather than 8pm.

Might that be due to the 2 hour delay yesterday arriving in Spain?

23 minutes ago, Gareth said:

And they have to go straight home. No hotels for the night en route, even if pre-booked. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

'Cap Finistere' is due to dock at 01:00, departing again at 03:00.

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Cap Finistere' is due to dock at 01:00, departing again at 03:00.

Capture.JPG

Well let's hope for the passengers' sake that the rules change again at midnight in that case. Ed.

On 17/07/2020 at 16:13, Cabin-boy said:

It depends on the date. If it is the Friday before the Le Mans 24 hour race it might actually be correct. Ed. 

Yeah but the standard wouldn't be cheaper than the Flexi would it?

Looks like she’s on track to get to Roscoff on time this morning.  Must have got away from Portsmouth some time before 0300.

We’re meant to be sailing next week from Santander to UK (Our home)then back in September to Spain (Portugal ) my husband is in the High risk category, in view of the latest announcements would I be wise to delay? We do have a cabin with a balcony, not that the virus is commodore exempt!!🙈 What a dilemma 

18 minutes ago, Lofty said:

We’re meant to be sailing next week from Santander to UK (Our home)then back in September to Spain (Portugal ) my husband is in the High risk category, in view of the latest announcements would I be wise to delay? We do have a cabin with a balcony, not that the virus is commodore exempt!!🙈 What a dilemma 

Totally your decision, however you should be safe enough on board ( I would not fly at present )  and things will keep changing in all Countries at the moment, It is likely that there will be more space with more cancellations from the Spanish going on UK holidays.

34 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Totally your decision, however you should be safe enough on board ( I would not fly at present )  and things will keep changing in all Countries at the moment, It is likely that there will be more space with more cancellations from the Spanish going on UK holidays.

Thank you, that is helpful 😊

We sailed last Wednesday from Santander to Plymouth, also in a Commodore cabin.  We felt very safe on board.  Staggered embarkation/disembarkation.  The cabin was very clean, but I took my own Dettol and wiped it down just in case.  The public areas were very quiet, so no problem with social distancing.  People were sitting down to eat right opposite where  the self service area was. We took our food up to the cafe at the front of the ship where it was very quiet.  We were disappointed that the Commodore lounge was closed.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Valerie Wilton said:

We sailed last Wednesday from Santander to Plymouth, also in a Commodore cabin.  We felt very safe on board.  Staggered embarkation/disembarkation.  The cabin was very clean, but I took my own Dettol and wiped it down just in case.  The public areas were very quiet, so no problem with social distancing.  People were sitting down to eat right opposite where  the self service area was. We took our food up to the cafe at the front of the ship where it was very quiet.  We were disappointed that the Commodore lounge was closed.  

Thank you, that is very encouraging 😊

Seven came across from Roscoff on Armorique last night without paying the fare or doing proper social distancing. Both are wrong, so all seven of them were hoicked out of a truck at Millbay this morning. 

5 minutes ago, wortley said:

Seven came across from Roscoff on Armorique last night without paying the fare or doing proper social distancing. Both are wrong, so all seven of them were hoicked out of a truck at Millbay this morning. 

To be looked after over here, they should've been sent straight back.

• Like 3

Slightly saddened to read the tone of the last couple of posts to be honest.

The story in question is being discussed elsewhere on the forums, but as has been said there, let's keep to the facts please.

• Like 2

Obviously security at Roscoff ain't what it was. When we've come back from there we've seen them crawl all over the lorries, camper vans and caravans.

The unofficial Caen timetable is annoying, I am going to Caen tomorrow on the 14:45, however I am 95% sure that it will be the 15:30, however I can't factor that into my lunch arrangements until I get the text.

For the last few weeks, the PIP departure board and the QHM movements has shown it as 15:30;  it is not helped that today and tomorrow the QHM timing is 16:30, however the PIP timing was 15:30 today.

We will see what tomorrow brings, however lunch wise, there is quite a difference between last checkin at 13:15 & 14:00 & I would like to get my cheap meal courtesy of the taxpayer.

Edited by David Williams
  • Haha 1

Yes I had the same problem the week before  last. I received a text the morning of the crossing to say that it had been put back to 3 30 but had to check in at original time. We asked at check in whether the 90 minutes was 90 mins before  2.45 or 3.30 but was told it was 90 minutes before 2.45. We then spent ages in the queue in  boiling heat and did not board till 3 so we were pretty fed up. The  cafe in the terminal was closed so we just had to stand by the car for a long time. Coming back on Wednesday though  on 2pm crosssing from Caen was great, I was late checking in about 1 and went straight on and she sailed at  1/4  to 2! On both crossings disembarkation was very fast and was on the road very quickly.

• Like 1