SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

The unofficial Caen timetable is annoying, I am going to Caen tomorrow on the 14:45, however I am 95% sure that it will be the 15:30, however I can't factor that into my lunch arrangements until I get the text.

For the last few weeks, the PIP departure board and the QHM movements has shown it as 15:30;  it is not helped that today and tomorrow the QHM timing is 16:30, however the PIP timing was 15:30 today.

We will see what tomorrow brings, however lunch wise, there is quite a difference between last checkin at 13:15 & 14:00 & I would like to get my cheap meal courtesy of the taxpayer.

The Caen ferries have been coming through the harbour entrance on arrival at around 13:20 for the last few weeks and I expect tomorrow will be no different. I wouldn't take much notice of the QHM list, they have been incorrect on various commercial movements for sometime. If you hang on until midnight tonight (or 01:00 to be safe), check the PIP Arrivals & Departures on their website, they are more reliable.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

Thanks for all the concern, made it back into Portsmouth this morning and Mrs FW’s wine stocks have been duly replenished so she’s doubly happy. Not particularly bothered about getting back although a

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, ZinedineBiscan said:

Did this crossing on Thursday.  Had the delay text at 8am.  Check in was 2pm for a 3.30pm departure

The annoying thing is that BF know that these are the timings, they have adjusted the Caen timetable and told the ports and the Harbour Master, however don't bother to mention it to their clients until the day of sailing.

Edited by David Williams

Unnecessarily  annoying, I turned up 90 minutes before the scheduled 1445 departure time to Caen, so in all I had to wait for nearly 2 hours in a hot queue of traffic, next to a lorry running its refrigeration unit. I am now even more annoyed knowing that BF seems to have planned this later departure all along.

The boat was fairly empty, quite soulless walking through the public areas. Functional, but not the experience we have been used to (and pay for).

One thing that I couldn’t work out was some sort of staggered loading, which might have needed the extra time. I thought this might be a clever way of spreading people out as they boarded, but no, when I got out of my car I found myself in a queue of people on  the staircase  with congestion as some waited for the lift whole others wanted to pass by on the stairs.

• Thanks 1

Quelle surprise, it is 08:00

Due to Covid-19 restrictions and operational requirements, please note that your sailing to Caen/Ouistreham will be departing 45 mins later than originally scheduled. The latest check-in time is now 90 minutes before your new departure time. We apologise for the inconvenience and wish you a pleasant journey with Brittany Ferries.

Mind you, the MSM left France at the normal time.

• TongueOut 1

I’m reading all of this material about the Caen timetables with perplexed bewilderment.

Why are they doing this?  I presume the need for changing the timetables is to do with cleaning and managing turnarounds in a covid-compliant way.  But why change the timetables but not tell anybody?  Why publish timetables on the website that are not correct?  I don’t get it.

37 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I’m reading all of this material about the Caen timetables with perplexed bewilderment.

Why are they doing this?  I presume the need for changing the timetables is to do with cleaning and managing turnarounds in a covid-compliant way.  But why change the timetables but not tell anybody?  Why publish timetables on the website that are not correct?  I don’t get it.

... are we talking about Cherbourg / Poole with BARFLEUR, Cherbourg Portsmouth with NORMANDIE EXPRESS? Always displayed but full!

4 minutes ago, LHCity said:

... are we talking about Cherbourg / Poole with BARFLEUR, Cherbourg Portsmouth with NORMANDIE EXPRESS? Always displayed but full!

No, we’re (I’m) talking about what people are talking about in this thread.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Perhaps it's payback time for the 'enhanced flexibility'! Ed. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Gareth said:

No, we’re (I’m) talking about what people are talking about in this thread.

I did not make myself understood. I said the schedules weren't updated, or wrong. As proof, Cherbourg / Poole is still posted on the schedule

11 hours ago, Altranter said:

Unnecessarily  annoying, I turned up 90 minutes before the scheduled 1445 departure time to Caen, so in all I had to wait for nearly 2 hours in a hot queue of traffic, next to a lorry running its refrigeration unit. I am now even more annoyed knowing that BF seems to have planned this later departure all along.

The boat was fairly empty, quite soulless walking through the public areas. Functional, but not the experience we have been used to (and pay for).

One thing that I couldn’t work out was some sort of staggered loading, which might have needed the extra time. I thought this might be a clever way of spreading people out as they boarded, but no, when I got out of my car I found myself in a queue of people on  the staircase  with congestion as some waited for the lift whole others wanted to pass by on the stairs.

I hope you have sent a message to BF Customer Services about this situation. I know they are run off their feet but this is not good, its not what M. Mathieu promised us.

22 minutes ago, LHCity said:

I said the schedules weren't updated, or wrong. As proof, Cherbourg / Poole is still posted on the schedule

You did indeed, and that’s fine.  You are correct.  But you asked me if that was what I was talking about in my quoted post, and I replied to indicate that it wasn’t.

25 minutes ago, Gareth said:

You did indeed, and that’s fine.  You are correct.  But you asked me if that was what I was talking about in my quoted post, and I replied to indicate that it wasn’t.

sorry, little translation problem of a french expression " [...] Parlons-en [...] 🙂

Edited by LHCity
  • Like 1
On 02/08/2020 at 18:16, David Williams said:

The unofficial Caen timetable is annoying, I am going to Caen tomorrow on the 14:45, however I am 95% sure that it will be the 15:30, however I can't factor that into my lunch arrangements until I get the text.

For the last few weeks, the PIP departure board and the QHM movements has shown it as 15:30;  it is not helped that today and tomorrow the QHM timing is 16:30, however the PIP timing was 15:30 today.

We will see what tomorrow brings, however lunch wise, there is quite a difference between last checkin at 13:15 & 14:00 & I would like to get my cheap meal courtesy of the taxpayer.

Travelled back on MSM's morning sailing today, she left on time but we were soon told that arrival into Portsmouth would be 1345. I think we were finally secured to the berth at 1350.

Edited by jonno
times were originally plus 1

This is totally planned, at one point the pdf freight schedule even had this new timetable. Yesterday the 14:45 with scheduled dep 15:30 arr 22:15 left at 15:10 as there were so few passengers, however arrival into Caen was still 22:15.

On the positive side the MSM has added usb points and uk sockets in cabins and public areas.

22 hours ago, LHCity said:

I did not make myself understood. I said the schedules weren't updated, or wrong. As proof, Cherbourg / Poole is still posted on the schedule

This is deliberate. My understanding is that they try and keep cancelled sailings in the schedule with no availability for a week or so after passengers have been informed, that allows for easy amendment to other routes with BF later price matching ( not sure if on request).
If a customer does not change a crossing, the booking is cancelled after a week. 
BF policy is not to show changes in sailing updates etc until affected passengers have been informed.

ps they even put some of the cancelled Le Havre sailings back into the timetable for this reason, I guess someone was a bit too hasty removing them.

Edited by David Williams

Help please. We are booked on the Connemara this week, and have just received a text to say that there is no escalator from the the car deck, replaced by 61 steps! For different reasons my wife and I will both struggle badly (one with only one knee, the other with astigmatism). Does anyone know if, assuming I can through to BF, they have alternative parking for the disabled? We neither of us feel that, in normal circumstances, we are entitled to a blue card, but this is critical.Is there a vehicle deck closer to the accommodation?

12 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

Help please. We are booked on the Connemara this week, and have just received a text to say that there is no escalator from the the car deck, replaced by 61 steps! For different reasons my wife and I will both struggle badly (one with only one knee, the other with astigmatism). Does anyone know if, assuming I can through to BF, they have alternative parking for the disabled? We neither of us feel that, in normal circumstances, we are entitled to a blue card, but this is critical.Is there a vehicle deck closer to the accommodation?

If you have a normal car you will end up on deck 5 which is on the level of most facilities however if you have a cabin ( apart from 1 disabled cabin) you will still have stairs, make sure that BF know of any issues.

Ship guide at bottom of page linked https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ships/economie/connemara/facilities

ps make sure that BF give you a disabled sticker on checkin and that will get you very close to reception on deck 5, however they prefer knowing in advance.

Edited by David Williams

Footies update?

Statement from CEO dated yesterday 3 August, quoted on F/book [my emphasis]

…we took a forensic look at our immediate prospects and took the tough decision to cease accepting bookings for both cyclists and foot passengers. I always said this decision would be subject to review and I’m pleased to confirm we will resume carrying both from September 1st.
We’ll make a small number of bookings available first and then look to build that through the Autumn as our operations adapt and learn as we go.
I hope this will be positive news for many of you; it’s another sign of a gradual, sensible and safe return to normal for Brittany Ferries.
Christophe Mathieu
Statement on BF website [UK site as linked from here] at 10h00 today 4 August when I went looking for availability in September and October

bookings for travel from:

1 September 2020 for passengers with bicycles (availability is limited until 1 November 2020)
1 November 2020 for foot passengers

Does M Mathieu's "small number" exclude Caen-Portsmouth? How can zero in late October to available in November – so, more or less overnight – be seen as building / adapting / learning ???

I think there’s (another) gremlin in the system Ken. I’ve just tried a dummy foot passenger booking from Portsmouth-Caen and although showing « Sailing Full » up to the end of August you can book from the 1st September onwards. I would hurry though because plaçes will be very limited to start with.

Hope that helps

Chris

54 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I think there’s (another) gremlin in the system Ken. I’ve just tried a dummy foot passenger booking from Portsmouth-Caen and although showing « Sailing Full » up to the end of August you can book from the 1st September onwards. I would hurry though because plaçes will be very limited to start with.

Hope that helps

Chris

They also have existing foot passenger bookings that have never been cancelled, my sister in law has a September P-C foot booking that has been in the system for a while.

4 hours ago, David Williams said:

This is totally planned, at one point the pdf freight schedule even had this new timetable. Yesterday the 14:45 with scheduled dep 15:30 arr 22:15 left at 15:10 as there were so few passengers, however arrival into Caen was still 22:15.

On the positive side the MSM has added usb points and uk sockets in cabins and public areas.

Maybe we should have guessed this earlier. BF will be saving money by sailing slower and spending less time on the linkspans in Portsmouth.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jonno said:

Maybe we should have guessed this earlier. BF will be saving money by sailing slower and spending less time on the linkspans in Portsmouth.

They have changed the schedule ( without telling us ) to give themselves 1:45 in port as opposed to 1:30, I guess that they don’t want to spend more money by arriving early — not sure how this all works.

• Gareth unpinned this topic
  • Gareth locked this topic