SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

Thanks David. I managed to eventually get through to a very helpful agent at BF re the escalator (which her notes said would be out of use until September). She has indeed made a note on the booking for us to go on the freight deck, as she called it, No.5, and our cabin is on deck 6. All sounds quite manageable now - compared to the threatened 61 steps!

Once one gets through, the usual impeccable service from BF.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

On 04/08/2020 at 07:35, David Williams said:

Yesterday the 14:45 with scheduled dep 15:30 arr 22:15 left at 15:10 as there were so few passengers, however arrival into Caen was still 22:15.

I was on the corresponding overnight back from Caen. My text from BF said departure would be "around 23.30". We moved off the Berth at 23:55. Arrived in Portsmouth at 6.30 so overall crossing time was an hour shorter so less Sleep than I'd originally hoped for. 

More disappointing was the lack of evidence that the delay was due to Covid-19 restrictions. If I've been kept waiting on the dockside for extra cleaning I expected my Cabin to have been thoroughly cleaned. We unclipped the Upper Bunk from its fixings to find an empty Crisp packet in the little storage net. I appreciate that the Caen ships have a short turnaround time and that the Cleaners will be Contracters but in today's climate Cleanliness and Hygiene have never been more important- I wish I'd complained now and took a picture of it but couldn't be bothered at the time I just wanted to go to bed. 

We had a coloured sticker on the Car but not on our ticket and the queue at Breakfast time was not staggered based on ticket colour or deck number it was the usual free for all (however it was socially distanced). Our experience on the outbound crossing on Bretagne was totally different with Breakfast queues and return to the garage all controlled by ticket colour. Is it a different process depending upon the route/ship? 

On a separate note, the Migrants were causing problems as well but that's for a different thread. Needless to say next year I think I'll avoid Caen and try either Cherbourg or St. Malo for my return crossing.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, chid679 said:

had a coloured sticker on the Car but not on our ticket

I stand corrected, just found a ticket and there was a sticker on it, my bad 🤭

Worth mentioning too that the round coloured stickers are a bit of a nightmare to scrape or peel off your windscreen and as yet I've not noticed any real reason for them.

They are indeed a nightmare to scrape off, the 9C applied at the same time peeled off easily.

The reason for them seems to be so that like colours are not parked next to each other which makes social distancing much easier when you are called to return to your vehicle.

But when you park initially and everyone gets out of their car at the same time there is no benefit. There was no BF crew person on deck on our Bretagne sailing telling you to stay in or when  you could get out.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

it looks like the Wednesday CF Bilbao trip is cancelled for the rest of August, they seem to be reducing capacity

A friend spotted this last week when he was transferred from CF to Bilbao on to PA to Santander on a different day. 

He is asking what the current regime is on PA - is everything normal on board now apart from the closure of La  Flora restaurant? 

14 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I can’t see that they would save a lot doing that, what is the source of the info ?

Simple really, those sailings for Cap Finistere are on the freight timetable but not the passenger timetable.

6 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Simple really, those sailings for Cap Finistere are on the freight timetable but not the passenger timetable.

Well we will see what tomorrow brings, it doesn’t make sense for 1 crossing to be freight only as they will be fully crewed and have all the fuel costs as well.

The freight timetable was last updated on the 30th July.

30 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Well we will see what tomorrow brings, it doesn’t make sense for 1 crossing to be freight only as they will be fully crewed and have all the fuel costs as well.

The freight timetable was last updated on the 30th July.

30th July wasn't that long ago, those sailings on the passenger timetable disappeared last Thursday.

Strangely though, Cap Finistere is listed for her 09:15 arrival tomorrow, but no departure.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
5 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Cap Finistere' will be staying in Portsmouth until Friday, and may possibly go to anchor (not scheduled). This is expected to be repeated every week until September 2nd.

Would not be surprised if it continues for longer than that and must put in doubt the Connemara return to Bilbao as well,

On 08/08/2020 at 21:58, jonno said:

Worth mentioning too that the round coloured stickers are a bit of a nightmare to scrape or peel off your windscreen and as yet I've not noticed any real reason for them.

Funny, mine flew off driving down the N137!

• Like 1

BF stickers fall off in pluie. Bit annoying as I usually like to keep it displayed to show poor people I go abroad. Rather like the large faded poppy on the car grill that lasts at least  a couple of years. 

Toddle pip

• Haha 2

Online Telegraph reporting that the Government have taken France off the Quarantine green list and as from 4am on Sunday all arrivals back into the UK will be required to Quarantine..Wonder how that will affect sailings as I imagine there will be a rush to bring forward crossings to return and pretty much stop all non essential travel to France..I`m sure they will have planned for it though

30 minutes ago, Paully said:

Online Telegraph reporting that the Government have taken France off the Quarantine green list and as from 4am on Sunday all arrivals back into the UK will be required to Quarantine..Wonder how that will affect sailings as I imagine there will be a rush to bring forward crossings to return and pretty much stop all non essential travel to France..I`m sure they will have planned for it though

I think you'll find it's from 4am BST on Saturday not Sunday Paully

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Paully said:

Was inevitable going by the figures , BF must have seen this coming.

Brittany Ferries Press Release - 13th August 2020

French quarantine plan is worst possible news for holiday makers, says Brittany Ferries

Quarantine restrictions on those holidaying with Brittany Ferries in Normandy and Brittany will heap more pain on an already terrible summer season for the company and its passengers. Brittany Ferries says that it understands that quarantine may be a tool used to combat the spread of Covid-19. However, it believes measures must always be proportional to the risk, enabling people to travel to and from lower risk areas within different countries this summer.

“This announcement is dreadful news for Brittany Ferries,” said Christophe Mathieu CEO Brittany Ferries. “It threatens what little remains of an already disastrous summer season. Our only hope is that holiday makers visiting our French destinations follow the stoicism of those who have travelled with us to Spain over the last fortnight. Despite quarantine restrictions on their return to the UK, only around one in five of those who booked have cancelled or changed their travel plans. Of course, what this will mean for future bookings remains to be seen.”

Brittany Ferries will closely follow demand over the coming weeks. Before today’s news it expected to carry around 240,000 passengers this summer. That compares with around 780,000 for a normal year, a consequence of lockdowns, restrictions on travel and capacity limits on ships.

The company has warned of potential changes to schedules at the end of the summer, if demand falls to levels that means services become unsustainable.

If the CEO couldn't see this was pretty well certainly going to happen around a fortnight before the schools go back in the UK he has no business running any company. The travel business has had concessions that bore no relation to risk that they should not have been given anyway and it is about time BF management got real about their long-term future. Such as it is. Christophe Mathieu is about to find out why they pay him the big bucks - and it ain't to be popular.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 2

What is getting me about this whole quarantine stuff is that Johnson’s Government are saying that they don’t want the virus being brought into the country from abroad so this is why they are telling folk to quarantine.  And by that they mean get back here, and go wherever you have to and you can use public transport.  And then when you get “home” from whatever convoluted journey you have taken to get there you have to isolate for 14 days.  Having had a few hours already to spread it around the country on public transport!

Quarantine centres should have been organised from the very beginning and people get off their planes, trains or ferries and taken straight to proper quarantine centres with any personal vehicles quarantined in designated car parks.