SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

So a very well judged return to Blighty for @David Williams on the Connemara ex Cherbourg this afternoon...😉
More good timing from Mrs FW who’s on Normandie leaving Caen this morning. She’s back to work next week teaching while life here in Normandy goes on as (just about) normal.

Chris

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Ferry wise all routes to mainland Europe now arrive at quarantined ports

True , but their is one European country that is not mainland Europe and there is no quarantine from it into the UK , there is quarantine into that country , but,  need I say !.

Edited by Chef
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Everyone entering the UK has to declare what countries they have been In during the last14 days. 

But do they have the resources to follow up on all of them .

56 minutes ago, Chef said:

But do they have the resources to follow up on all of them .

Doesnt really matter, their employers will know where they`ve been and demand they do. Thats just as effective

• Like 1

Anyone who has travelled to France in the lat 2-3 weeks should have been well aware that there would be a possibility of being quarantined and made allowance for it on their return should it be necessary. It was a gamble to go on holiday and in this case hasn't paid off. It must have been clear when France started making mask wearing outside in urban areas mandatory that things were going pear shaped.

It's a bit late to suddenly realise that being quaratined might prevent your child returning to school after the holiday period. (assuming the schools do open....)

The holiday industry and its suppliers will be devastated though.

Rightly or wrongly, the authorities in both Spain and France are attributing much of the spike in cases to younger people not obeserving social distancing etc. and this seems to be borne out by most of the new cases being among this group and not really impacting much on the death rate.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Paully said:

Doesnt really matter, their employers will know where they`ve been and demand they do. Thats just as effective

Or maybe the employer couldn't  care less and turn a blind eye, preferring not to be short handed , again it's all down to human nature .

Data from Brittany Ferries Spanish services suggests travellers may continue to sail, despite quarantine restrictions

• Passengers must not to travel to Brittany Ferries ports today (Friday 14 August) without a reservation. More info:  https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus
  • Only one in five travellers to Spain has amended or cancelled their travel plans since imposition of quarantine
  • Travellers are making informed decisions based on better understanding of risks and measures to protect themselves and their families
  • Data suggests most Brits may still be determined to take a break abroad after extended lock down period

Quarantine restrictions on those holidaying with Brittany Ferries in France and Spain this summer are not good news for the company or its passengers. However, there is some evidence that traditional British stoicism is alive and well, and that many passengers are making an informed personal decision to travel even in the face of quarantine restrictions.

Earlier this week, when interviewed on potential new quarantine measures, chancellor Rishi Sunak advised travellers “to take everything into account and to make the best decisions they can in uncertain times”. Data from reservations on Brittany Ferries’ Spanish routes suggests that large numbers have already heeded this advice, and are taking a measured, personal decision to continue with their travel plans.

Since quarantine was imposed on those returning from Spain, Brittany Ferries has continued to run services connecting Portsmouth and Plymouth with Santander and Bilbao. In that period only around one in five of those who booked to travel has cancelled or changed their travel plans.  The majority have carried on sailing.

“Imposing quarantine from those arriving from France is of course bad news for Brittany Ferries and passengers,” said Christophe Mathieu CEO Brittany Ferries. “However, after six months of the Covid crisis it appears that many of our predominantly-British customers are determined to have their summer holiday abroad.

“Of course, we are all better informed about the crisis than we were in May or June and appreciate both the risks of infection and the measures we must take to protect ourselves and others. Social distancing, mask wearing and regular hand washing are now habits that we have started to adopt as a routine, whether on board Brittany Ferries’ ships, at home or in a holiday destination. Perhaps this goes some way to explaining their determination to get away.”

Brittany Ferries says that it understands that quarantine may be a tool used to combat the spread of Covid-19. However, it believes measures must always be proportional to the risk, enabling people to travel to and from lower risk areas within different countries this summer. It is also reminding customers visiting France and Spain that basic health protection is still afforded by EHIC cards (European Health Insurance Cards). These remain valid until the end of 2020.

Brittany Ferries will closely follow forward demand over the coming weeks. Before today’s news it expected to carry around 240,000 passengers this summer. That compares with around 780,000 for a normal year, a consequence of lockdowns, restrictions on travel and capacity limits on ships.

The company has warned of potential changes to schedules at the end of the summer, if forward demand falls to levels that means services become unsustainable.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cvabishop said:

It's a bit late to suddenly realise that being quaratined might prevent your child returning to school after the holiday period. (assuming the schools do open....)

Schools in Scotland are back This week has been a phased return for the majority, with only certain year groups in each day, but from the beginning of next week the schools will be back in full. I know a family, the parents are both teachers, who returned from Spain 12 days ago so the parents and children have all missed the start of term; how many teachers in other parts of the UK will be in a similar position returning from France?

I don't suppose their headteachers will be too impressed with their staff putting themselves into this situation when they knew they would be expected back at work. It's not as if the warning signs weren't there.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Schools in Scotland are back This week has been a phased return for the majority, with only certain year groups in each day, but from the beginning of next week the schools will be back in full. I know a family, the parents are both teachers, who returned from Spain 12 days ago so the parents and children have all missed the start of term; how many teachers in other parts of the UK will be in a similar position returning from France?

They were all in on Tuesday down here in the Borders .

Well I am in France again and will face yet another 14 day quarantine as I got stuffed by the last one (that one really was a demonstration of mismanagement).

But I suspected we would get stuck again and I factored it in and quite frankly the chance to be in France and away from the UK is well worth the price of 14 days. My boy will miss the start of school, but then we were not very happy with him going back into classrooms of 30 kids where social distancing is not possible. The school sent out loads of threatening letters a few weeks ago saying parents would face fines if kids did not return - well the school will not be able to argue with a delayed start for my boy now!

As for my employer (UK government) well they have made me work from home for months now so it makes no difference. Even if it did, I work to live, I do not live to work. I keep getting excuses from authorities and companies over how they can not function in any reasonable way due to Covid, well I have decided I am going to start using Covid as a coverall excuse too. 

So a lot of us now stuck with a 14 day quarantine have already planned for it and are quite willing to sit at home. Now if I get my trip in October, I will again take the view that anything that gets me out of the UK for another few days is worth 14 days stuck in doors when I get back. 

• Like 1

As expected BF have confirmed that the Connemera will not be doing it's UK - Bilbao crossings this year, we wait to see how they cull the rest of the fleet. I saw the Balfleur yesterday from the Caen ring road - I suspect that won't return either.

@mods - is the new set of culling a new topic or part of sailing updates or a restart of services ? I suspect that there will be more to come - maybe CEO updates go in the same place ?

21 hours ago, David Williams said:

As expected BF have confirmed that the Connemera will not be doing it's UK - Bilbao crossings this year, we wait to see how they cull the rest of the fleet. I saw the Balfleur yesterday from the Caen ring road - I suspect that won't return either.

@mods - is the new set of culling a new topic or part of sailing updates or a restart of services ? I suspect that there will be more to come - maybe CEO updates go in the same place ?

Good question - well see how it goes. It's going to be a long winter for BF I fear.

16 August 2020

French ferry firm Brittany Ferries says it is lobbying French government at the highest levels to avoid the implementation of reciprocal quarantine measures. In a normal year the company carries about 2.6 million customers, of which 85 percent are British. Any move that might dissuade more Brits to cancel their travel plans would hurt Brittany Ferries and the regions it serves, particularly the tourism sector in Brittany and Normandy.

“This has already been a disastrous summer season for us and all the businesses in north west France that rely on the friendly British invasion each summer,” said Christophe Mathieu director general Brittany Ferries. “It is why we are lobbying hard with our regional colleagues for government to drop reciprocal quarantine plans. If such measures are implemented it would be an exercise in self-harm for France plc, damaging our business, as well as those of thousands of others in the regions we serve.”

Brittany Ferries says that, despite quarantine restrictions, many of those that can travel are making an informed decision to do so. The company has continued to serve Spanish destinations through quarantine over the last three weeks. In that time only 1 in 5 customers has chosen to either cancel or change their holiday plans. Brittany Ferries says travellers are now aware of Covid-19 risks and are better able to make informed decisions about mitigating against them at home or abroad.

Further obstacles would only serve to dissuade many of those who could travel from doing so.

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-urges-french-government-to-drop-reciprocal-quarantine-plans/

16 August 2020

French ferry firm Brittany Ferries says it is lobbying French government at the highest levels to avoid the implementation of reciprocal quarantine measures. In a normal year the company carries about 2.6 million customers, of which 85 percent are British. Any move that might dissuade more Brits to cancel their travel plans would hurt Brittany Ferries and the regions it serves, particularly the tourism sector in Brittany and Normandy.

“This has already been a disastrous summer season for us and all the businesses in north west France that rely on the friendly British invasion each summer,” said Christophe Mathieu director general Brittany Ferries. “It is why we are lobbying hard with our regional colleagues for government to drop reciprocal quarantine plans. If such measures are implemented it would be an exercise in self-harm for France plc, damaging our business, as well as those of thousands of others in the regions we serve.”

Brittany Ferries says that, despite quarantine restrictions, many of those that can travel are making an informed decision to do so. The company has continued to serve Spanish destinations through quarantine over the last three weeks. In that time only 1 in 5 customers has chosen to either cancel or change their holiday plans. Brittany Ferries says travellers are now aware of Covid-19 risks and are better able to make informed decisions about mitigating against them at home or abroad.

Further obstacles would only serve to dissuade many of those who could travel from doing so.

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-urges-french-government-to-drop-reciprocal-quarantine-plans/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Dissuading foreigh travel may in fact be a policy as it is a prime factor in spreading the virus.

Not sure about that most seem to think the prime factors for spreading the virus is within families and 15 to 30 year old's not following social distancing.

The government needs to be seen to do some thing and imposing a quarantine is easy does not effect the majority of the population so does not cause too many waves. (excuse the pun)

It already seems to have dropped from the media headlines

Its probably a fair bet that the majority of the spread in Manchester and Leicester and the increase in the South West was not caused by foreign travel

• Like 1