SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

9 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Agreed but it’s (a) decisive, (b) shows they had thought this through and had a plan if quarantine was brought back and (c) those who wish to/can cross the Western Channel still have a few options. Dark times indeed and we’re all battening down the hatches for the coming months to ensure there is some sort of a future once life starts improving again which it surely will, but not just yet though...:(

Chris

Indeed - it's clear there has been much planning, which is good. Let's just keep fingers firmly crossed for a long term recovery. I do wonder - and this is pure speculation - if we'll actually see the Bretagne back though. With lower demand and newbuilds on the way I can't see the overall fleet size needing to increase. I hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

Nothing I can really add to the above few posts, well said. Enthusiasm, and what is perceived to constitute it, should not be confused with rose-tinted spectacles.  It does however sadden me to r

Posted Images

Not sure if this is the correct place for this... but quite a lot of South-West focused news/interest in BF activity today. Local news was live from Plymouth port, and the local rag is even keeping fairly up to date and accurate!

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/brittany-ferries-latest-tensions-brewing-4438250

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/brittany-ferries-laying-up-ships-4436907

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/history-brittany-ferries-armorique-bretagne-4438997 

• Sad 1

All - first post here but have been lurking for a while using a lot of the information available!

Our September trip has been through many iterations of tickets already (dropping a Spanish outward leg in the first place) and we just got Version 5 following confirmation Bretagne will cease on 7 September - our outbound was booked for 9 September!  No great issue as we are booked via Caen on MSM later that evening instead, just involves an earlier wake-up call than St Malo!  We know we will need to quarantine on our return but that really is not an issue for us and we are comfortable that our risk profile whilst in rural France ultimately will be very similar to our profile in rural Hampshire.

Whilst disappointed not to be on our original sailings, these changes have resulted in us saving c.£160 on the original ticket price.  Does anybody know if this will automatically be refunded to my card (I've done everything online) or will I need to call up to request?

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

The topic of reciprocal quarantine seems to have gone quiet, is anything being said in France about it ?

I've heard nothing to suggest it's imminent but I don't think that presently there are any quarantine restrictions for people entering France from other European countries. Ed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jim said:

I do wonder - and this is pure speculation - if we'll actually see the Bretagne back though. With lower demand and newbuilds on the way I can't see the overall fleet size needing to increase. I hope I'm wrong.

I think its certain that we will, as well as the Barfleur. Clearly older vessels with associated costs they may be, but these are bought and paid for. Next year they will be invaluble. After that who knows, indeed who knows if they will still take deiivery of the other 2 Stena builds. Still I`m sure it will keep us all speculating  at least throughout the autumn😉

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Paully said:

I think its certain that we will, as well as the Barfleur. Clearly older vessels with associated costs they may be, but these are bought and paid for. Next year they will be invaluble. After that who knows, indeed who knows if they will still take deiivery of the other 2 Stena builds. Still I`m sure it will keep us all speculating  at least throughout the autumn😉

But wouldn't bought and paid for also mean if sold the cash goes straight to BF/Ship owners*

Older ships are also more likely to be less efficient and more expensive to maintain**

*with regards to the complicated nature of BF Ship owning structure

**Will just ahem ignore PA

My first thoughts were same as Jims - when Bretagne leaves Portsmouth will she ever return.

3 hours ago, Milnio87 said:

All - first post here but have been lurking for a while using a lot of the information available!

Our September trip has been through many iterations of tickets already (dropping a Spanish outward leg in the first place) and we just got Version 5 following confirmation Bretagne will cease on 7 September - our outbound was booked for 9 September!  No great issue as we are booked via Caen on MSM later that evening instead, just involves an earlier wake-up call than St Malo!  We know we will need to quarantine on our return but that really is not an issue for us and we are comfortable that our risk profile whilst in rural France ultimately will be very similar to our profile in rural Hampshire.

Whilst disappointed not to be on our original sailings, these changes have resulted in us saving c.£160 on the original ticket price.  Does anybody know if this will automatically be refunded to my card (I've done everything online) or will I need to call up to request?

Hello & welcome to the forum.  You will need to contact BF to request a refund of the money owed to you.  If you look on the 2nd page of your ticket (the invoice page) it normally says towards the bottom "balance by refund application" if you are in credit.

• Like 1

Its not very helpful in trying to reorganise your already booked crossings when the website timetables bear no relation to the CEO's latest news.

They show Bretagne and Armorique still operating when they clearly will not be. Poor overworked Customer Relations staff, they have my sympathy for the unending nightmare.

Poor customers who still want or need to travel.

Just now, BZH29 said:

They show Bretagne and Armorique still operating when they clearly will not be

Give it time, they can't just remove/change the timetables with one click, it takes time.

17 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Nigel was on Radio 4 this morning 

Nigel was on BBC South Today earlier too, he did seem to stress that this is only affecting the Autumn timetable.

1 hour ago, The Ferry Man said:

But wouldn't bought and paid for also mean if sold the cash goes straight to BF/Ship owners*

Older ships are also more likely to be less efficient and more expensive to maintain**

*with regards to the complicated nature of BF Ship owning structure

**Will just ahem ignore PA

My first thoughts were same as Jims - when Bretagne leaves Portsmouth will she ever return.

There are currently so many ships waiting to go to the beach it would take maybe 18 months whilst the price of scrap has plummeted because so many owners are culling their fleets..Yes they are more expensive to run, like an older car, but you don't have expensive monthly payments like you do with a newer one that in any case they can't afford...just my views but I think the older ones will be around a while yet

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, BZH29 said:

Its not very helpful in trying to reorganise your already booked crossings when the website timetables bear no relation to the CEO's latest news.

They show Bretagne and Armorique still operating when they clearly will not be

It is deliberate, they move them to sailing full & it allows people to change the bookings themselves, if they took it off timetable customers could not select a new crossing themselves as the booking becomes invalid,

For timetable, look at the documents I posted earlier,

• Thanks 1

Was hopeful of an October weekend in St Malo (wedding anniversary) - we had decided to book 'late' to have a good idea of the situation/risks near the time using the RCNs. we have accumulated  for cancelled ferries earlier this year.  Thwarted by Covid again!

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Not sure if this is the correct place for this... but quite a lot of South-West focused news/interest in BF activity today. Local news was live from Plymouth port, and the local rag is even keeping fairly up to date and accurate!

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/brittany-ferries-latest-tensions-brewing-4438250

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/brittany-ferries-laying-up-ships-4436907

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/history-brittany-ferries-armorique-bretagne-4438997 

They have now posted a report about the Armorique's wake up music, but saying that 'we may never hear it again'.  Do they know something we don't?

23 minutes ago, Paul said:

They have now posted a report about the Armorique's wake up music, but saying that 'we may never hear it again'.  Do they know something we don't?

Click bait, reactionism and utterly sloppy journalism replete with falsehoods, speculation and spelling mistakes... welcome to the Reach suite of titles.

• Like 1

Moving the PA to Plymouth is a good move, when she and the Armorique looked as if they were being cancelled I thought this might happen. The PA can cover three routes Santander and Cork as normal and a reduced service to Roscoff.

Hi all,

just to say, just took advantage of the few cancellations they have had to rebook from Le Havre to St Malo on Monday. I had an economy ticket and paid no amendment fee. It was £2 more St Malo, but saves me £42 in fuel and tolls.

So it looks like there are no amendment fees at the moment. (Glad I did not pay extra for a Flexi ticket now). Also get a trip on Bretagne in case this is her last few days.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Some weeks they have nothing but nonsense news about BF, others a series of well-prepared articles. I don't pay much attention to be honest...

14 hours ago, David Williams said:

It is deliberate, they move them to sailing full & it allows people to change the bookings themselves, if they took it off timetable customers could not select a new crossing themselves as the booking becomes invalid,

For timetable, look at the documents I posted earlier,

Thank you David.  With your timetables and a very helpful lady on the phone at Customer Services I have rescheduled a return via Roscoff.