SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Mont St Michel' spent a month in Gdansk in January 2020, I highly doubt she will get any time off this winter.

Are you sure? I’m sure that Mont St Michel‘s month at Gdańsk was cancelled due to reasons and she was laid up at Cherbourg for her repaint instead. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, georgem7 said:

Are you sure? I’m sure that Mont St Michel‘s month at Gdańsk was cancelled due to reasons and she was laid up at Cherbourg for her repaint instead. 

That is correct, I forgot that. I was working on the old list I had.

• Like 1

I would not be surprised if work was limited to essential repairs and maintenence and work required by Class and Flag, plus a quick once over of paintwork and antifouling.  I suspect that "refurbishment" work will be very limited

I'm always interested in why ferries are taken out of service and dry docked every couple of years, or even annually; or even more frequently this year in the case of Stena's fleet on the Irish Sea. But cruise ships only dry dock about every 5 years and then that's normally when interior work is carried out as well. I'm wondering what the regulations are, or whether it's a case that cruise ships are simply better maintained - image is everything - in service using the labour on board which is cheap and a lot of the deck crew don't have a lot to do when not on mooring operations?

3 hours ago, Seashore said:

But cruise ships only dry dock about every 5 years and then that's normally when interior work is carried out as well.

AFAIK there are ship cleaning machines like giant sunken car washes scattered around the oceans which large ships sail through occasionally. These are not needed to the same extent if the ship stays in cold water.

My sister in Law had foot passenger tickets for next week to Caen, these have now been cancelled by BF as the costs of opening up the terminals was too high.

She was given a full refund plus a 50% value credit note which I thought was quite good.

9 hours ago, David Williams said:

My sister in Law had foot passenger tickets for next week to Caen, these have now been cancelled by BF as the costs of opening up the terminals was too high

Brittany Ferries has been running an advertising campaign to encourage people to book their sailings for summer 2021 now. Stories of cancellations like this will surely cancel out the company's efforts to get people to book early for next year?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Altranter said:

Brittany Ferries has been running an advertising campaign to encourage people to book their sailings for summer 2021 now. Stories of cancellations like this will surely cancel out the company's efforts to get people to book early for next year?

We booked in July for next April. Couldn't see any downside really. The earlier you book the lower the price. Paid for a flexi ticket so can change. Used a voucher to pay for 50% of the crossing cost so no extra cash tied up. Balance will be taken in February so plenty of time to way up the situation and amend if needed. I agree with you if you have to pay the deposit with cash but a voucher no real  problem you may as well take advantage of the early booking cost 

I book Plymouth to London on the train a few days before I'm ready to travel. I do the same for Plymouth to Roscoff by ship. I wouldn't dream of booking either in July for next April.

1 hour ago, Altranter said:

I would love to book up Barfleur as a special treat after this dreadful year, even if there are limitations on board.  So far they haven’ said she is staying put until next year, but the minute I book something up, you can guess what will happen, quite demoralising.

Edited by Khaines
1 hour ago, wortley said:

I book Plymouth to London on the train a few days before I'm ready to travel. I do the same for Plymouth to Roscoff by ship. I wouldn't dream of booking either in July for next April.

Any particular reason why?

I have tried to explain its a zero cost option. IF BF go bust the voucher is worthless any way. A standard ticket will cost the same as the flexi if not more if you wait till the new year. We also got the cabin we like (nothing special an outside 4 berth right at the back with unobstructed views.

Out of curiosity  I checked a booking we made last December to Bilbao for this September. A Full flexi ticket cost us £777.00 an economy ticket for the same crossing today would cost £808.80 a little more but not much in it. Only in normal circumstances the sailing would have been full months ago (snowbirds). So as usual each to his/her own preference.

Ian

Do you honestly think bf will go out of business? I know they have major financial problems at the moment but going out of business is not one of them.i think they will have financial backing of the French goverment behind them and local councils etc.so why are a few people coming up with this idea baffles me ,this virus thing is effecting all of the travel industry. So let's think positive and look towards a brighter future and less of the doom lading things that some people are going on about.stay safe

1 minute ago, nodwad said:

Do you honestly think bf will go out of business? I know they have major financial problems at the moment but going out of business is not one of them.i think they will have financial backing of the French goverment behind them and local councils etc.so why are a few people coming up with this idea baffles me ,this virus thing is effecting all of the travel industry. So let's think positive and look towards a brighter future and less of the doom lading things that some people are going on about.stay safe

Where did I say that I believed BF would go bust? I was trying to make a point that it does not matter financially whether you hold onto the voucher in your account or if you use it as a deposit for a booking on a future crossing the outcome will be the same regardless of what happens.. I hope and expect BF to still be operating next year which is why I made my booking early. It will help BF with their planning and possible financial assistance if BF can show promising future orders with projected incomes 

Ian   

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Khaines said:

I would love to book up Barfleur as a special treat after this dreadful year, even if there are limitations on board.  So far they haven’ said she is staying put until next year, but the minute I book something up, you can guess what will happen, quite demoralising.

According to Paul Clifton, that route is now closed !

2 hours ago, IanN said:

I have tried to explain its a zero cost option. IF BF go bust the voucher is worthless any way. A standard ticket will cost the same as the flexi if not more if you wait till the new year. We also got the cabin we like (nothing special an outside 4 berth right at the back with unobstructed views.

Your message on this page.stay safe

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'd just seen this but haven't seen anything with more specific details of what it means in terms of ships etc.

There was an interesting reply on Twitter a couple of days ago when someone stated that the Galicia was due to do Cherborg once a week & the BF response was that timetables were changing ! - Maybe it will be a Roscoff crew change !

2 hours ago, IanN said:

You ask why I would not book a Flexi ticket now for summer 2021.   Three reasons.

If I have to cancel (for age or infirmity)  I would lose 25% of the money spent.

But if I wait till a few days before travel I can safely book one  of the cheaper economy tickets which is priced £50 less than a Flexi ticket for a Plymouth- Roscoff round trip. 

And choice of cabins is immaterial for us on that route, especially on daytime crossings.