SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

I don't see why Brittany Ferries would say one thing to the public then do something completely different, they said that both Mont St Michel and Normandie are running a normal service, except when they are having their technical layovers. Considering how quiet these crossings are in the Winter, it seems unnecessary to run 2 ships anyway.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

If I go abroad I really, really, want to get off at the other end to enjoy the  local ambience. Being stuck on a ferry just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. PA is quite a nice ship but I wouldn't

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I don't see why Brittany Ferries would say one thing to the public then do something completely different, they said that both Mont St Michel and Normandie are running a normal service, except when they are having their technical layovers. Considering how quiet these crossings are in the Winter, it seems unnecessary to run 2 ships anyway.

NIgel may want to answer that one !

I don't believe that the press release goes beyond December, it is also ambiguous re Pont Aven and Barfleur - !  

Re only needing one ship , logically that is probably correct, however by retaining 2 it allows freight clients to continue to use them as it keeps a regular service.

The current approach to cancellations is:-

1) Take the crossing off sale by switching to sailing full

2) Tell affected passengers in sequence giving them a week to respond

3) Take the sailing from the timetable.

ps the press release also states that Kerry continues and Connemara is on indefinite layover..

Edited by David Williams
29 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The French version of the updates https://www.brittany-ferries.fr/informations/situation-sanitaire-coronavirus/message-directeur-general appear to say that the Amorique will continue on the Caen route in Freight mode in January. It also says that NEX is laid up until further notice.

The details are:-

ARMORIQUE
À partir de novembre, l’Armorique reprend le service sur Caen/ Portsmouth - couvrant les arrêts techniques du Normandie et du Mont St Michel pour le transport de fret uniquement.Puis transport de fret uniquement à partir de janvier 2021 toujours sur la ligne Caen/ Portsmouth.

NORMANDIE EXPRESS
Reste à quai jusqu’à nouvel ordre.

ARMORIQUE
From November, Armorique resumes service to Caen / Portsmouth - covering technical stops in Normandy and Mont St Michel for freight transport only.

Then freight transport only from January 2021 still on the Caen / Portsmouth line.

NORMANDY EXPRESS
Stay at the dock until further notice.

Edited by David Williams
On 03/09/2020 at 11:11, David Williams said:

But is there a market for just the freight part without drivers at Le Havre and Cherbourg, this could be using trailers like the Pelican or just containers.

I don't see the point. There are already container ships 3 to 4 times a day between Le Havre and Southampton. The passenger link is essential from the two main ports of Normandy.

By tomorrow we will have just 2 BF passenger ships left to France, apparently one of today's Normandie sailings had 6 cars and 2 lorries. Come November we will be left with 1 passenger ship until Easter -  and that assumes travel can restart by then.

4 minutes ago, David Williams said:

By tomorrow we will have just 2 BF passenger ships left to France, apparently one of today's Normandie sailings had 6 cars and 2 lorries. Come November we will be left with 1 passenger ship until Easter -  and that assumes travel can restart by then.

They would have been better off keeping only the Connemara to carry so few passengers and cargo!

28 minutes ago, David Williams said:

+ Pont-Aven to Roscoff, on top of Normandie/MSM going to Ouistreham.

• Like 1

Just looking at booking our last trip Ply-Rosc until next March before the PA stops at the end of October.

Strangely,the PA time table shows the normal 08.00 and 23.00 departures from Plymouth and the 15.00 from Roscoff now depart at a minute past the hour. Odd.

Edited by colinschandler
typo
2 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Just looking at booking our last trip Ply-Rosc until next March before the PA stops at the end of October.

Strangely,the PA time table shows the normal 08.00 and 23.00 departures from Plymouth and the 15.00 from Roscoff now depart at a minute past the hour. Odd.

I thought that when they were added, but I did wonder whether, because the Armorique sailings were still in the timetable, they couldn't have two sailings listed at exactly the same times on the same days, hence the 1 minute added to the PA's sailings

5 hours ago, David Williams said:

By tomorrow we will have just 2 BF passenger ships left to France, apparently one of today's Normandie sailings had 6 cars and 2 lorries. 

I very much doubt those figures David, even Connemara turned up for her last trip to Cherbourg today with 5 trucks and about 20 cars. Ouistreham always has a good freight loading in both directions although lighter at weekends. I wonder if your source spotted there is a dedicated freight deck (3)....?

I’ll be on Normandie myself next Friday but that’s not looking overly busy as there are still 2 berth cabins available for the overnight sailing, generally a good indicator of low passenger numbers.

Chris

28 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I very much doubt those figures David, even Connemara turned up for her last trip to Cherbourg today with 5 trucks and about 20 cars. Ouistreham always has a good freight loading in both directions although lighter at weekends. I wonder if your source spotted there is a dedicated freight deck (3)....?

I’ll be on Normandie myself next Friday but that’s not looking overly busy as there are still 2 berth cabins available for the overnight sailing, generally a good indicator of low passenger numbers.

Chris

I hope that you are right, the tweet was second hand - re 2 berth cabins, I think they reserve a number for freight drivers and they don't book in advance,

7 hours ago, Andy said:

Bretagne has departed St Malo on her last commercial sailing for the year, before heading to Le Havre overnight to layup for the winter. 😪

Going by the Freight timetable she is going to Cherbourg tonight.

• Like 1
On 05/09/2020 at 17:56, DucdeNormandie said:

I note that they are saying they will not accept footies either for some time, which is a shame.

We're sorry but we can only accept bookings for foot passengers for travel from 23rd March 2021.

Well that sucks big time :(

Was hoping that as soon as the quarantine was lifted I would at least be able to do a daytrip to Caen :/

With almost no passenger service being offered by Brittany Ferries over winter, I wonder what regular ferry travellers will do during this time? Quarantine or not, there will still be many people who will need to travel – to work, to check on their properties, for medical treatment etc. Loyal travellers will have to break their habits and find an alternative which they may discover is actually better.

I used to be 100% loyal to the ferry until a strike / lockout a few years ago, then I was forced to “discover” the Tunnel / Shuttle. And overall,  it was much better than I had expected and since then I have used it for over half of my trips to France. It took non-availability of the ferry to make me break my habit and I now spend less with BF. It’s similar to online shopping - many people have been forced to discover it during lockdown , but will they go back to regular shops now they have been forced to discover benefits of online?

It’s a pity Brittany Ferries couldn’t keep a once or twice a week service going throughout winter on the main routes, so that the temptation to look elsewhere is reduced, but I appreciate that the costs of catering for just one sailing a week may be disproportionately high.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Well that sucks big time :(

Was hoping that as soon as the quarantine was lifted I would at least be able to do a daytrip to Caen :/

I suspect that as soon as it is lifted there will be loads of offers including foot passengers, however terminals with check in, security, coaches and passport control is not that cost effective for a few passengers

1 minute ago, Altranter said:

It’s a pity Brittany Ferries couldn’t keep a once or twice a week service going throughout winter on the main routes, so that the temptation to look elsewhere is reduced, but I appreciate that the costs of catering for just one sailing a week may be disproportionately high.

Caen will be 1 or 2 sailings a day throughout the winter and that is more than 200 miles from the tunnel and generally cheaper with CV in a normal car

• Like 1
  • Confused 1