News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

4 hours ago, jonno said:

Yeah they do, both of them have the platforms. They're clearer on Etretat when she's Norman Voyager and when Connemara is Baltic Amber. I think the only obvious difference is that Etretat doesn't have the vent covers. I noticed the bow railings when Connie was in ANEK colours and we first saw pictures of her, never noticed them on Etretat before... Nice one Ed.

So, which one is it? 😀

Ed. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Thanks for all the concern, made it back into Portsmouth this morning and Mrs FW’s wine stocks have been duly replenished so she’s doubly happy. Not particularly bothered about getting back although a

Posted Images

Just had the text telling me that Armorique will not leave Plymouth till approx 05:00. Board at normal time this evening, then lock in.... Arrival 12:00.

Now need to work out if I can still make it to Plougastel Daoulas to view a boat, then to St Gregoire (Rennes) for 16:10 appointment with my surgeon?

Hey ho....

1 hour ago, colin said:

Just had the text telling me that Armorique will not leave Plymouth till approx 05:00. Board at normal time this evening, then lock in.... Arrival 12:00.

Now need to work out if I can still make it to Plougastel Daoulas to view a boat, then to St Gregoire (Rennes) for 16:10 appointment with my surgeon?

Hey ho....

Cutting it fine I'd say. I've been in Nantes for the day and the traffic is just as bad during the school holidays as normal and I guess Rennes might be the same. The two positive points is that you only have to go a quarter turn around the ring-road and French doctors are never on time. Unless he's got a round of golf to fit in before nightfall. Ed. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Cutting it fine I'd say. I've been in Nantes for the day and the traffic is just as bad during the school holidays as normal and I guess Rennes might be the same. The two positive points is that you only have to go a quarter turn around the ring-road and French doctors are never on time. Unless he's got a round of golf to fit in before nightfall. Ed. 

On time....? I will ring Muriel, his secretary in the morning and see what time he finishes on Wednesday. If I can slip back an hour or so, and get away sharpish from Roscoff then I will try, but cannot miss this appointment since last week's MRI scan indicates he will want me under the knife sooner rather than later....

I see that Le Havre is on strike again, this is getting silly. I am due to travel on that route in early April and had assumed that it would all be over by then !

26/02/20 Portsmouth to Le Havre 23:30 - We are sorry to advise that as a result of strike action, this sailing has been cancelled. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

27/02/20 Le Havre to Portsmouth 14:30 - We are sorry to advise that as a result of strike action, this sailing has been cancelled. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

49 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I see that Le Havre is on strike again, this is getting silly. I am due to travel on that route in early April and had assumed that it would all be over by then !

You think that's bad. I've booked a trip back to the UK on the morning of 1st May. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

It’s never all over in France.  Strikes can happen at any time without any warning.

So much so that its the only Country I`ve ever heard of, that has a website dedicated to informing the public when and where the next strike is going to be. You could`nt make it up could you

Ultimately it still puts me off visiting France for pleasure at the moment as there is so much uncertainty about travel disruption. But, hey, if that's the way they want to treat foreign visitors then they have to take the economic consequences. Their loss - I can go elsewhere (coronavirus permitting 🥶)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

It’s frankly astonishing that EU law allows one member country to have laws that allow its workforce to behave in such a maverick fashion.  But I guess that’s their business.

Why is it "frankly astonishing"? The EU has no jurisdiction over labour laws except insofar as they interfere with the workings of the single market: that is, leading to discrimination between nationals, or distorting the market.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

It’s frankly astonishing that EU law allows one member country to have laws that allow its workforce to behave in such a maverick fashion.  But I guess that’s their business.

Are you suggesting the EU should have greater powers over the laws of the member nation states? 🤨

Thanks to our influence many EU economic policies have a distinctly Anglo-Saxon tinge but central application of British style anti-union laws in countries where employees still have power would be quite damaging and very unpopular. 

Delays are unfortunate and, speaking from several experiences with the crews of SNCM and FS, deeply irritating in the moment. But in French society people still retain the right to provide labour and to withdraw that labour if they feel it necessary. I hate when it affects me but admire them for the rights they have retained over more powerful interests.

Equally, prospective customers have the right to withdraw their custom if any of this aggravates them. Both are examples of how proper free markets work.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Paully said:

So much so that its the only Country I`ve ever heard of, that has a website dedicated to informing the public when and where the next strike is going to be. You could`nt make it up could you

There’s websites to tell you about websites most are run by bots, it’s hardly surprising there’s so many strikes in France just now with the pension changes being put through, what’s the worst that might happen ? For me I drive to a different port or wait a day for another sailing the pros still out weigh the negatives it doesn’t seem to be affecting tourist figures going by the data not individual travel plans.

https://www.internetlivestats.com/total-number-of-websites/

• 2 weeks later...

What's the story with Baie de Seine cancellations. Firstly delayed by a day Santander/Portsmouth 4/3/20 then rescheduled for 5/320 thencancelled altogether. She is however sitting here in Santander. Cancellation due to "weather" even though Cap Finesterre left on schedule 5/3 from Bilbao. Any answers from BFE members?

I think you managed to answer your own question!  Looks like a round trip from Spain has been cancelled for weather reasons.  Sunday's scheduled departure from Santander has been brought forward a day, to Saturday.  Presumably to take advantage of an anticipated weather window.

• Gareth unpinned this topic
  • Gareth locked this topic