SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

8 minutes ago, LHCity said:

I think it's a strategic mistake of Brittany Ferries, to want to focus everything on one port. People will find other solutions (Ouistreham / Portsmouth is only a partial solution). BF would do better to keep only one boat at Ouistreham and maintain a minimum service with CONNEMARA between Cherbourg, Portsmouth and Le Havre

What's French for 'give it a rest'? 😉

Ed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

What's French for 'give it a rest'? 😉

Ed. 

I suggest @LHCity writes a strongly worded letter to Jean Marc Roue telling him he’s made a strategic mistake and see how that goes.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I suggest @LHCity writes a strongly worded letter to Jean Marc Roue telling him he’s made a strategic mistake and see how that goes.

I'll write it to Stena Line 😉

Imagine Stena Line on Cherbourg / Portsmouth / Le Havre. It wouldn't be good for BF in Ouistreham. BF Playing with fire, it could happen to them, especially with the echoes that I have via the port authorities of Le Havre on the Irish side.

Edited by LHCity
25 minutes ago, LHCity said:

I think it's a strategic mistake of Brittany Ferries, to want to focus everything on one port. People will find other solutions (Ouistreham / Portsmouth is only a partial solution). BF would do better to keep only one boat at Ouistreham and maintain a minimum service with CONNEMARA between Cherbourg, Portsmouth and Le Havre.

For the time being, the temporary closure of the Le Havre/Portsmouth route is benefiting from the subsidized competition from Dieppe/Newhaven and Calais. As for Cherbourg, it made more sense to maintain a shorter and more northerly link than Ouistreham.

I am sure that they don't want to close any port and have discussed this with their freight customers in addition to looking at the passenger bookings for the next 2 months.  By focusing on one port they are able to offer 3 freight sailings a day and reduce the number of shore based staff.

This is not ideal, it is survival.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

“Trying is the first step towards failure “ H.Simpson 

If you don't try, you have a chance to lose. If you don't try, you've already lost

9 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I am sure that they don't want to close any port and have discussed this with their freight customers in addition to looking at the passenger bookings for the next 2 months.  By focusing on one port they are able to offer 3 freight sailings a day and reduce the number of shore based staff.

This is not ideal, it is survival.

We'll see in a few months. The post-Brexit rounding up of the cards as much as the arrival of the tunnel under the sleeve in 1994.

3 hours ago, LHCity said:

I think it's a strategic mistake of Brittany Ferries, to want to focus everything on one port. People will find other solutions (Ouistreham / Portsmouth is only a partial solution). BF would do better to keep only one boat at Ouistreham and maintain a minimum service with CONNEMARA between Cherbourg, Portsmouth and Le Havre.

For the time being, the temporary closure of the Le Havre/Portsmouth route is benefiting from the subsidized competition from Dieppe/Newhaven and Calais. As for Cherbourg, it made more sense to maintain a shorter and more northerly link than Ouistreham.

Right now BF management's strategy will be focusing on the company surviving this current situation and that means paring back costs to the absolute minimum. Staffing more than one port when passenger and freight volumes are so low would be madness from a financial point of view. 

• Like 3

Exactly.For BF it's all about survival and running a service as economic as possible.The customer's preferences are not the priority.It's all about staying in business and being there when this crisis ends.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Exactly.For BF it's all about survival and running a service as economic as possible.The customer's preferences are not the priority.It's all about staying in business and being there when this crisis ends.

All the more reason I would have thought to use Cherbourg. Lower fuel costs and a commitment shown to the  port where they intend to run a rail service. Why use it's least economic port for fuel consumption/route costs/staff costs?

4 minutes ago, Rattler43 said:

All the more reason I would have thought to use Cherbourg. Lower fuel costs and a commitment shown to the  port where they intend to run a rail service. Why use it's least economic port for fuel consumption/route costs/staff costs?

Could it be that port costs are cheaper at Ouistreham ?

Otherwise I agree that Cherbourg although further west could be the better choice to operate from.

14 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Otherwise I agree that Cherbourg although further west could be the better choice to operate from.

I imagine that they got useful data when they ran one boat to Ouistreham and one to Cherbourg as they could see what the hauliers chose.

Re costs, aren't both Ouistreham and Cherbourg managed by the same company now ?

36 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Port costs are a competitive market so I doubt that they would be that different compared to the fuel cost saving.

18 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I imagine that they got useful data when they ran one boat to Ouistreham and one to Cherbourg as they could see what the hauliers chose.

Re costs, aren't both Ouistreham and Cherbourg managed by the same company now ?

Surely what hauliers want is a secondary consideration when you're in survival mode. The question is would hauliers not use BF if the choice was Cherbourg and not Ouistreham? They could use the tunnel but fuel/toll costs for them would I imagine be far higher than the additional cost of driving to Cherbourg.

I did a couple if tests in the booking system for PA in November, both Santander and Cherbourg are showing as full - no great surprise !

I guess that means that Spain will be left with CF until being replaced with Galicia .

Note that the Pelican timetable only goes up to the end of October, however that does not prove anything !

1 hour ago, imprimerie said:

Is Cherbourg more prone to being affected by bad weather? In normal circumstances, diverting a ship to another BF port is possible because the staff are there to deal with it, but the same possibilities wouldn't be there with only one port being used as presumably the staff are under the French equivalent of furlough and wouldn't be able to be used. With so few crossings being timetabled, BF won't want to have nothing operating to France if it can avoid it.

Edited by elaine80
On 04/09/2020 at 11:54, TonyMWeaver said:

Portsmouth Harbour will be closed to all inbound and outbound vessels on Monday from 14:45 until 16:40 (Approximately) due to the departure of 'HMS Queen Elizabeth', it's unknown at this time if it will affect the departure of 'Mont St Michel' or whether Brittany Ferries will plan on moving her departure forward.

I see she didn't leave yesterday in the end, apparently due to some crew testing positive for covid-19. I read she's due to leave today, is there any indication on time? My dad is in Portsmouth and was hoping to see her leave. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I see she didn't leave yesterday in the end, apparently due to some crew testing positive for covid-19. I read she's due to leave today, is there any indication on time? My dad is in Portsmouth and was hoping to see her leave. 

Info, on here yesterday, from Tony Weaver was about 4pm today....Best check on QHM for any updates.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, elaine80 said:

Is Cherbourg more prone to being affected by bad weather? In normal circumstances, diverting a ship to another BF port is possible because the staff are there to deal with it, but the same possibilities wouldn't be there with only one port being used as presumably the staff are under the French equivalent of furlough and wouldn't be able to be used. With so few crossings being timetabled, BF won't want to have nothing operating to France if it can avoid it.

Cherbourg is a massive port with enormous breakwaters and two wide accesses from both the east and west; BF have tended to divert there when they can't get into other ports. The ferry port itself is sprawling, there's a lot of room between linkspans and some of the quays are huge. It's a completely different scale from Ouistreham which is pretty small as things go, and whilst Le Havre is larger overall as a port complex which dominates the city (clue's in the name Le Havre = The Harbour) the ferry port is also in a rather tight space but less so than Ouistreham.

On a divert scenario they'd have to get port crew there anyway, but not very many. Push comes to shove, someone locally opens the terminal and car check-in. I know they're not taking footies at the moment but I remember back in the 1990s getting off Stena Normandy in Cherbourg to sail back immediately on the 1-hour turnaround, a number of crew members would hot foot off the ship and run check-in and embarkation in the terminal. Push comes to shove anything is possible.

That said, rather than weather it tends to be strikes which take Ouistreham out of action!

• Thanks 1