SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But not from a Smirnoff Triple-Distilled Blue point of view. Ed  

I have a supply of a month or two now & the UK Government have still not announced whether we can continue to bring back boot loads next year or not

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

Re costs, aren't both Ouistreham and Cherbourg managed by the same company now ?

The Ports of Normandy Authority controls Cherbourg, Ouistreham & Dieppe, they are a setup which is composed of the Normandy regions. Cherbourg is operated by a private company made up of LD and the Normandy chamber of commerce.

46 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I have a supply of a month or two now & the UK Government have still not announced whether we can continue to bring back boot loads next year or not

Think they announced at the beginning of this year that we would still be able to, although no doubt the Customs permitted volumes might be trimmed down a bit.

Just now, Paully said:

Think they announced at the beginning of this year that we would still be able to, although no doubt the Customs permitted volumes might be trimmed down a bit.

Last year they announced a very good deal if we got no agreement which seemed to be the best of both worlds - duty paid and duty free, however  they seem to have backtracked and in March started a consultation on the subject which is biased to just going back to duty free without any options for extra duty paid booze. They have not yet announced their conclusion. The Consultation is https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/a-consultation-on-duty-free-and-tax-free-goods-carried-by-passengers

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Info, on here yesterday, from Tony Weaver was about 4pm today....Best check on QHM for any updates.

'HMS Queen Elizabeth' departure postponed again today, listed for tomorrow at 16:35.

• Thanks 2

Bretagne, Etretat, and Normandie Express docked on Terminal De L'Europe with Pelagos of La Meridionale, Armorique is on her own at Bougainville Quay and Connamara all alone on J Reinhart Quay in Le Havre until further notice.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Last year they announced a very good deal if we got no agreement which seemed to be the best of both worlds - duty paid and duty free, however  they seem to have backtracked and in March started a consultation on the subject which is biased to just going back to duty free without any options for extra duty paid booze. They have not yet announced their conclusion. The Consultation is https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/a-consultation-on-duty-free-and-tax-free-goods-carried-by-passengers

This went out for consultation in March, just about when the pandemic kicked in. I would imagine that its well down the list of priorities and is sat close to the bottom of a Treasury in tray. It acknowledges that if they were to change things, ports like Portsmouth may have to change infrastructure to specifically stop and check inbound vehicles.(It did say, amusingly, so that people could stop and declare what they have😂) In the case of Dover I would suggest thats close to impossible without major cost/planning/permissions etc. Customs themselves will be maxed out anyway. The time scales are now too tight. I would be suprised if the status quo wasn`t maintained, at least for the next year or two. Should be a bit of good cheer for Fine Whine

1 hour ago, Paully said:

This went out for consultation in March, just about when the pandemic kicked in. I would imagine that its well down the list of priorities and is sat close to the bottom of a Treasury in tray. It acknowledges that if they were to change things, ports like Portsmouth may have to change infrastructure to specifically stop and check inbound vehicles.(It did say, amusingly, so that people could stop and declare what they have😂) In the case of Dover I would suggest thats close to impossible without major cost/planning/permissions etc. Customs themselves will be maxed out anyway. The time scales are now too tight. I would be suprised if the status quo wasn`t maintained, at least for the next year or two. Should be a bit of good cheer for Fine Whine

Yes it’s a shame I was unaware this consultation document even existed and could have given my opinion before the deadline date...!
Not for the want of trying I assure you.

I realise I’m just a tad biased but for goodness sake isn’t it more important to be on the look out for counterfeit (and potentially dangerous) goods, hard drugs that kill and ruin lives, people entering the country illegally and more  especially the evil bar stewards that profit from such a trade? Almost all our customers whether from the Ireland or U.K. are buying a few cases of wine and beer for their own consumption at home, and can save a few pounds in the process. The beer and tobacco runners from the early nineties are à virtually extinct breed thank goodness and quite easy to weed out from the genuine, law abiding purchaser. 

Here’s what the then chancellor Savid Javid had to say last year:-

UK travellers to the EU would be able to purchase beer, wine, spirits and tobacco without paying UK excise duties under the Treasury’s plans. Javid said this would make a bottle of wine bought in Heathrow £2.23 (US$2.75) cheaper.

Travellers returning to the UK from the EU would have the option to bring home unlimited quantities of alcohol and cigarettes – as is the case now – or purchase a limited amount duty free from shops in Europe instead.

“As we prepare to leave the EU, I’m pleased to be able to back British travellers,” said Javid. “We want people to enjoy their hard-earned holidays and this decision will help holidaymakers’ cash go that little bit further.”

The UK Government will launch a consultation on its long-term duty free policy.

It just goes to show how difficult it is for us to plan for the future, a bit of a minefield is an understatement. I for one hope you’re right Paully

Chris

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

“As we prepare to leave the EU, I’m pleased to be able to back British travellers,” said Javid. “We want people to enjoy their hard-earned holidays and this decision will help holidaymakers’ cash go that little bit further.”

The UK Government will launch a consultation on its long-term duty free policy.

If this just the long term plan, maybe we are safe for a few years. I do remember when we displayed a hanger with red or green on at the port !

What I should have added is that the majority of visits to the EU from the UK are by air. Therefore the loss to the Treasury by returnees with the actual capacity to bring quantities of beer and wine back will be small in the grand scheme of things. When they get round to crunching the numbers the cost of deterence and revenue raising will far outweigh the benefits.

As Chris says the 90`s beer runners are extinct. Tobacco prices in Europe virtually mirror the UK now. I can`t see it being worth the effort.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

This is all so off topic  - I blame Ed !

Again?!?!

Well, until there are some sailings to update people on we may as well discuss other things. We need to keep busy until March next year.

Ed. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Bretagne, Etretat, and Normandie Express docked on Terminal De L'Europe with Pelagos of La Meridionale, Armorique is on her own at Bougainville Quay and Connamara all alone on J Reinhart Quay in Le Havre until further notice.

Waiting for NORMANDIE and MONT ST MICHEL to join ARMORIQUE 😞

6 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'HMS Queen Elizabeth' departure postponed again today, listed for tomorrow at 16:35.

Selfishly I hope it is delayed - we are on the 2200 MSM tomorrow evening and I’d quite like to see her in port!

23 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The other one will still be there.

Excellent - one of the pleasures of sailing out of Portsmouth is seeing the navy ships  both new and old - my wife and I got married on HMS Warrior; always need a drink at that point.....