SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

On 07/09/2020 at 10:39, Gareth said:

Thanks Chris, yes, it would be good to get a definitive answer to that question, as it is an area of confusion for me.

When the plans to redevelop Ouistreham were first announced, I'm sure that I read that re-siting the training wall along the eastern side of the channel (further east) was integral to the widening of the turning circle.  More recently, I am sure someone has said that the training wall has not been re-sited.  So that's what makes me uncertain whether the turning circle has been widened or not.  But I suppose it still could have, if the details of the plans for doing so changed?

I think this could be the definitive answer after a conversation I had with someone I know in Ouistreham last night. Apologies for the 2 aerial photos off Google maps while eating toast and marmalade this morning....

Basically the same shot but one as a satellite view, one of the terrain. I should have thought of this but there was a dredger operating there for most of last winter, in and around the area where MSM and Normandie turn, ie opposite a point between the current berth and the old DDN berth. It would help if I could draw pretty circles and add arrows but basically the yellow area at the mouth of the river Orne has been comprehensively dredged to cover a wider area, effectively removing what looks like a heel on that picture. Nothing obvious above the waterline, but plenty gone on below it. 
Hé assured me it was now « Honfleur » compatible, never say never, and therefore Connemara or Etretat compatible too, but unless Ouistreham ever reverted to a 2 crossing a day operation (highly unlikely) a Visentini couldn’t  operate there due to the operational limitations of the 90 minute turnaround time.

Hope that helps,

Chris

AD0D2AA6-2580-47EC-B217-9DA6D1B1E3B1.jpeg

5210D494-B1B3-4EB1-93FC-C03ED51F203A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

The ship deployment from November seems to be visible now, only a few questions.

Ireland Connemara to replace Kerry, only question is where does the crew change given Roscoff is cancelled.

Spain Pont Aven laid up in November, CF to do Spain in November, Galicia from December, CF then off for 3 months for 'technical stop'

Cherbourg Looks like the Galicia will do a weekly trip from December - will it take passengers given BF announced closure of Cherbourg.

Caen 2 ship operaton with one being freight only.  Nov MSM / Amorique (Freight only); Dec Normandie / Amorique (Freight only). From January Normandie is showing sailing full and in the freight timetable has moved times a bit - very likely that MSM will be the only ship taking passengers - note that the French site showed the Amorique continuing in freight mode in January, however doesn't it need some maintenance at some point ?

Pelican timetable shows it ending at end of October, however likely to continue ?

ps still haven't heard whether Cotentin is coming back - maybe that replaces Pelican

Edited by David Williams
14 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The plans for Cotentin have been “shelved” according to BF sources .

If she does return, she will probably either stay as she is as a purpose built freight ship with no modifications.  Times have changed since that story originally surfaced about her.  Stena could buy her outright.  Would not write Barf off yet - she will probably emerge from this mess at Easter.  She is very much wanted back down our neck of the woods, she is sorely missed.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Would not write Barf off yet - she will probably emerge from this mess at Easter

The timetables show her as restarting on the 23rd March which is roughly when all of the other ships come out of hibernation - I imagine they will review the situation a month or so before that to see what the demand is.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Khaines said:

If she does return, she will probably either stay as she is as a purpose built freight ship with no modifications

Agreed, the plans that have been shelved are the conversion. 

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Connemara to replace Kerry, only question is where does the crew change given Roscoff is cancelled

Santander or Brest

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Looks like the Galicia will do a weekly trip from December - will it take passengers given BF announced closure of Cherbourg.

Vehicle passengers, yes. No footies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Santander or Brest

Tony is there a reason why BF would use a port Connemara won't be sailing to when the crew change can be done at Cherbourg?

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Tony is there a reason why BF would use a port Connemara won't be sailing to when the crew change can be done at Cherbourg?

Why would a ship sailing from Rosslare to Spain do a crew change in Cherbourg?

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Why would a ship sailing from Rosslare to Spain do a crew change in Cherbourg?

The ship is at Rosslare for over a day at the beginning of the week, that would be a good window to use for a crew change if they could get there.

11 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The ship is at Rosslare for over a day at the beginning of the week, that would be a good window to use for a crew change if they could get there.

I can't see that happening, it would be quicker to use Brest, most likely en route to Spain or vice-versa.

• Like 1

Much more logical to call in at Roscoff or Brest on the 2-night crossing, surely (??).  (Unless the crew change can be done at Santander, which would be equally logical).  Why would they want to spend money on fuel sending the ship half way up the Channel, and back, just for a crew change?

IIRC originally Connemara was not on a French flag when she sailed from Ireland before being replaced by Kerry for a year. Kerry only came along to replace Connemara which was needed to provide additional cover when Pont-Aven was due off service for an extended period for engine replacement, or that was the reason, and a switch to UK-France was the rationale for the change to a French flag.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Connemara returns to another flag once she moves to Rosslare-Bilbao.

I don't know whether Kerry is bareboat chartered, but it may be that her crew originally crewed Connemara (I defer to someone in know, which is anyone other than me). In that case, calling into a French port for a crew change is a mute point.

34 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I don't know what sounds more daft today, a Ireland/Spain ferry doing a crew change in Cherbourg or Donald Trump being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Don't you just love sarcasm? It's the last time I bother asking you a question...

A simple "Jonno we mean now not next year" would have sufficed.

But hey, it's the level we see on this site now.

For me Connemara will just follow the same pattern as Kerry has now... Until March 2021 when she'll crew change at Cherbourg. 

BF are counting the pennies, they won't spend the money sailing a ship to a port it's never going to serve.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, jonno said:

For me Connemara will just follow the same pattern as Kerry has now... Until March 2021 when she'll crew change at Cherbourg. 

You didn't say that originally, you only said "Tony is there a reason why BF would use a port Connemara won't be sailing to when the crew change can be done at Cherbourg?"

When the Rosslare to Cherbourg route starts, I've no doubt the crew change will be done in Cherbourg.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Drat! Not again? What about cyclists? Took me forever to get onto CF, like to try Galicia a bit sooner!

I think that they are taking cyclists again, it is foot passengers that they won't take - the recent missive gave the reasons:-

It is why we have been forced to suspend loss-making routes, and it is why we have regrettably taken the decision to cancel foot passengers. Operational costs in our ports (including check in, buses etc) as well as things like transfers in the event of poor weather or other factors outside our control, mean this is simply not a viable option.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Must try harder methinks.

They are losing money hand over fist thanks to the collapse in demand. Now isn't the time to do anything other than hunker down, wait for the tempest to pass and hope most of what they spent decades building is still there on the other side.

• Like 2

Now isn't the time to do anything other than hunker down, wait for the tempest to pass and hope most of what they spent decades building is still there on the other side.

And hang onto customer deposits and payments...

On 08/09/2020 at 01:04, elaine80 said:

Right now BF management's strategy will be focusing on the company surviving this current situation and that means paring back costs to the absolute minimum. Staffing more than one port when passenger and freight volumes are so low would be madness from a financial point of view. 

56 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

As Portsmouth/Cherbourg is by far the shortest route ,why is Portsmouth /Caen  given preference in these trying economic times.

It's their core freight corridor, the French route which really pays the bills and which during normal times never gets cancelled or reduced to one ship. It's already staffed up for three calls per day and is just the obvious, least painful path to maintain regular service (in sailing numbers at least) on that route.

• Like 3