Jump to content

SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, hhvferry said:

It's their core freight corridor, the French route which really pays the bills and which during normal times never gets cancelled or reduced to one ship. It's already staffed up for three calls per day and is just the obvious, least painful path to maintain regular service (in sailing numbers at least) on that route.

But surely in the present crisis economy comes before everything.The difference in km between the two crossings is important .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

But surely in the present crisis economy comes before everything.The difference in km between the two crossings is important .

If the only cost was fuel for the distance covered by the sailing, then yes - but there are so many more things to consider it won't be top of the list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus Ouisterham is very close to the main arterial motorways seamlessly connecting various parts of Europe, whereas Cherbourg is a long haul up and down the Cotentin Peninsula which adds not only to the truck fuel but also to the drivers hours. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Paully said:

Plus Ouisterham is very close to the main arterial motorways seamlessly connecting various parts of Europe, whereas Cherbourg is a long haul up and down the Cotentin Peninsula which adds not only to the truck fuel but also to the drivers hours. 

Travelling to and from The Vendee on holiday we are happy to use either Ouistreham or Cherbourg as the driving time is similar. Were we driving from somewhere further east though, I wouldn't even contemplate Cherbourg.

We had an early morning NEX crossing switched from Le Havre to Cherbourg a few years ago. We had tagged a few days  at Disneyland onto our Vendee holiday and driving from Cherbourg to the east of Paris just didn't make sense to us so we used the tunnel. We couldn't leave Glasgow until 1.30pm so the overnight ferries from Portsmouth didn't work for us either or we would have switched to that option.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Driving time Cherbourg / La Roche sur Yon 4 Hours. Ouistreham /La Roche sur Yon 3 hours 45 mins. Not that much difference.But there is a considerable difference in the sailing time almost an hour's difference between Portsmouth/Cherbourg compared to Portsmouth/ Ouistreham.

There are other factors that give Ouistreham the preference over Cherbourg. Geographically Ouistreham is more central.Any others?

Edited by imprimerie
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Driving time Cherbourg / La Roche sur Yon 4 Hours. Ouistreham /La Roche sur Yon 3 hours 45 mins. Not that much difference.But there is a considerable difference in the sailing time almost an hour's difference between Portsmouth/Cherbourg compared to Portsmouth/ Ouistreham.

There are other factors that give Ouistreham the preference over Cherbourg. Geographically Ouistreham is more central.Any others?

If the route from Cherbourg routed via Rennes and the Ouistreham route went via Le Mans and Angers then there is also a difference of perhaps 15 euros for the tolls. 

Ed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Driving time Cherbourg / La Roche sur Yon 4 Hours. Ouistreham /La Roche sur Yon 3 hours 45 mins. Not that much difference.But there is a considerable difference in the sailing time almost an hour's difference between Portsmouth/Cherbourg compared to Portsmouth/ Ouistreham.

There are other factors that give Ouistreham the preference over Cherbourg. Geographically Ouistreham is more central.Any others?

That's just one journey out of so many possible options and factors. For example, it's not just where Ouistreham is - but where key clients are and what arrangements are set up as part of their supply chains. What about BF's supply chain? What are the port fees? Where do the staff come to work from (move to Cherbourg and you start needing to relocate 2 crews on/off each week per vessel). How does Ouistreham react if it loses a service? The list could go on and on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If the route from Cherbourg routed via Rennes and the Ouistreham route went via Le Mans and Angers then there is also a difference of perhaps 15 euros for the tolls. 

Ed.

Exactly.We tend use the motorway from Ouistreham to  Rennes which has no tolls.After Nantes you pay.However if you come off the motorway at Montaigu you only pay two Euros and then the rest by dual-carriageway to the south Vendée.

Same from  Cherbourg only you come onto the motorway just after St Lo.

Edited by imprimerie
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Driving time Cherbourg / La Roche sur Yon 4 Hours. Ouistreham /La Roche sur Yon 3 hours 45 mins. Not that much difference.But there is a considerable difference in the sailing time almost an hour's difference between Portsmouth/Cherbourg compared to Portsmouth/ Ouistreham.

There are other factors that give Ouistreham the preference over Cherbourg. Geographically Ouistreham is more central.Any others?

Our norm is to sail Portsmouth to Ouistreham and back Cherbourg to Portsmouth. We live in Scotland so we need an overnight somewhere and the ferry has become the place we have our overnight on the way to France. Coming home, getting into Portsmouth at 7pm rather than 9pm allows us to get a couple of hours of our journey back to Scotland before we stop for the night.

The extra hour on the Ouistreham crossing probably works for freight drivers as they have strict rest break requirements.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Exactly.We tend use the motorway from Ouistreham to  Rennes which has no tolls.After Nantes you pay.However if you come off the motorway at Montaigu you only pey two Euros and then the rest by dual-carriageway to the south Vendée.

Same from  Cherbourg only you come onto the motorway just after St Lo.

We holiday near St Gilles-Croix-de-Vie and we do the whole drive without paying tolls, regardless of whether it is Ouistreham or Cherbourg we are travelling through.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think that you can apply logic to this, Ouistreham is the busiest because it is the busiest. It has grown to be that due to a number of decisions by various operators at various ports over the years. One of the most important factors is the frequency and timing of the crossings. From a personal point of view, I have a flat about 25 mins from Ouistreham and about an hour from Le Havre. I prefer doing the overnight to Le Havre as the timings are better. 
If you were starting building ports today, the last place you would put a freight port is in the middle of a small seaside town !

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, David Williams said:

If you were starting building ports today, the last place you would put a freight port is in the middle of a small seaside town !

So that rules out Ouistreham, St Malo and probably Cherbourg (although the roads to the port have been improved). And leaves just....oh drat! Ed. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

So that rules out Ouistreham, St Malo and probably Cherbourg (although the roads to the port have been improved). And leaves just....oh drat! Ed. 

He did try to tell you🤣

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paully said:

He did try to tell you🤣

I know. But I agree it's fine for freight but not passengers. They want a meal of 'moules a la creme' and a view of sand-castles not 'moules a la kerosene' and gas cylinders. Ed. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

So that rules out Ouistreham, St Malo and probably Cherbourg (although the roads to the port have been improved). And leaves just....oh drat! Ed. 

Do you mean Le drat.

I do like the bridge & I still get around 2 Euros discount using my SAPN pass

Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys seem to be pretty switched on regarding the going-ons at BF so could someone please give me some guidance as to what on earth is going on?

1. Sailing Updates on the official site say that the Bretagne is laid up from 7 September, no further service until 22nd March.

2. I have a booking for Pompey-St Malo on 3rd March 2021 at 20.15 on Bretagne.

3. The current 2021 timetable shows the Bretagne operating on that route with several sailing a week, including one on 3rd March.

4. A dummy booking reveals that the sailing is "Sailing Full".

5. Our return is booked Roscoff-Plymouth on 22nd March 2021 at 15.00 on the Armorique. However, the Timetable shows the sailing departing at 22.00!

6. The ticket as accessed via my Frequent Traveller account shows the ticket as, OUT: Port-St M at 20.15 on 3/3/21, IN: Ros-Ply at 15.00 on 22/3/21

 

HELP!!!

Edited by KenTownley
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, KenTownley said:

2. I have a booking for Pompey-St Malo on 3rd March 2021 at 20.15 on Bretagne.

At some point they will offer to switch that to Caen, they are working through in date order

 

47 minutes ago, KenTownley said:

5. Our return is booked Roscoff-Plymouth on 22nd March 2021 at 15.00 on the Armorique. However, the Timetable shows the sailing departing at 22.00!

I think that you are looking at the Portsmouth - Roscoff timetable !

Realistically all non Caen bookings are not guaranteed until bookings rise a lot, whether that will be in time for Easter - who knows at present !

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that BF are now really struggling to make any coherent plans for this coming winter. The only things that are really fixed will be the drydocking periods for the various vessels as these are usually booked well in advance. BF are now trying to second-guess the random edicts coming from the French and UK Governments and trying to minimise the immense losses over the next six(?) months. It is a total mess, but I don't think we can really expect any firm plans at the moment

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

I suspect that BF are now really struggling to make any coherent plans for this coming winter. The only things that are really fixed will be the drydocking periods for the various vessels as these are usually booked well in advance. BF are now trying to second-guess the random edicts coming from the French and UK Governments and trying to minimise the immense losses over the next six(?) months. It is a total mess, but I don't think we can really expect any firm plans at the moment

I think that they now have the winter plans fixed (just not showing in the timetables !). The real question is when the routes will restart, at present all routes apart from Le Havre & daily Portsmouth/Cherbourg are planned to restart around the 21 March - I suspect that won't happen in reality and there will be a phased approach.

I believe that from November we will have 2 UK - France ferries with one freight only (perm 2 from MSM/ Normandie/ Amorique)  and 2 UK - Spain Ferries with one being freight only (Pelican) and one of CF/ Galicia - Note that Pelican is not guaranteed as it is not in the timetable !

Edited by David Williams
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...