SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

2 hours ago, KenTownley said:

Cheers, guys. Many thanks. David: Here's a screen shot of the Roscoff-Plymouth sailing.BF.thumb.jpg.9543334e215e472f9811d6587240bfbc.jpg

Ken,  my reply may have got lost - to get the Roscoff - Portsmouth sailing, you need to click March on the second table - the new timetable is very user hostile. !

BF have now confirmed the reductions (including the Caen sailings) that have been seen in the sailings full, Cherbourg is also confirmed as is the Poole restart.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

UK TO FRANCE / FRANCE TO UK

Portsmouth to Caen / Caen to Portsmouth

Daily service with some reduction in capacity between November and March 2021.

Portsmouth to Cherbourg / Cherbourg to Portsmouth

Weekly service commences December 2020.

Portsmouth to Le Havre / Le Havre to Portsmouth

Service suspended until further notice.

Poole to Cherbourg / Cherbourg to Poole

Service suspended until March 2021.

Portsmouth to St Malo / St Malo to Portsmouth

Service suspended until March 2021.

Plymouth to Roscoff / Roscoff to Plymouth

Reduced service up to October 2020. Service then resumes March 2021.

UK TO SPAIN / SPAIN TO UK

Portsmouth to Bilbao / Bilbao to Portsmouth

Twice weekly service up to November 2020. Service then resumes March 2021.

Portsmouth to Santander / Santander to Portsmouth

Weekly service until November 2020. Twice weekly service from December 2020.

Plymouth to Santander / Santander to Plymouth

Weekly service up to October 2020. Service then resumes March 2021.

IRELAND TO FRANCE & SPAIN / FRANCE & SPAIN TO IRELAND

Cork to Roscoff / Roscoff to Cork

Normal service up to October 2020.  Service then resumes March 2021.

Rosslare to Bilbao / Bilbao to Rosslare

Normal service apart from suspension of service during February 2021.

Rosslare to Cherbourg / Cherbourg to Rosslare

New service commences March 2021.

Rosslare to Roscoff / Rosslare to Roscoff

Service suspended. New service between Rosslare and Cherbourg commences March 2021.

• Thanks 1
On 11/09/2020 at 12:54, Jim said:

All sorted!

Belated thanks, Jim.

We have now been transferred to the Pompey-Caen sailing on the Mont St Michel so all is well. Thanks again for members' help.

Edited by KenTownley

Just for information, BF are now carrying cyclists again on the Caen-Portsmouth route. Given that there is still no quarantine for people arriving back into France I'm wondering how much cheddar I can get into my cycle panniers! Ed. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm wondering how much cheddar I can get into my cycle panniers! Ed. 

This is starting to look like a Wallace and Gromit adventure .

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Chef said:

This is starting to look like a Wallace and Gromit adventure .

It's actually slightly more complicated. Unless Brexit is resolved amicably I will need to renew my (to date unnecessary) international driving permits for France and Spain. To do so I need to visit a post office in person and I'm not able or prepared to quarantine for two weeks just to do that so will have to bend the rules. Unless anyone has a better idea on how to get around the problem. Ed.  

35 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's actually slightly more complicated. Unless Brexit is resolved amicably I will need to renew my (to date unnecessary) international driving permits for France and Spain. To do so I need to visit a post office in person and I'm not able or prepared to quarantine for two weeks just to do that so will have to bend the rules. Unless anyone has a better idea on how to get around the problem. Ed.  

I don’t think you need one for Spain as I believe that GB licenses are ok for a while, however aren’t you going to need a French driving licence?

34 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I don’t think you need one for Spain as I believe that GB licenses are ok for a while, however aren’t you going to need a French driving licence?

Unless C-b’s UK driving licence is about to expire, he has no need to exchange it for a French one.  At least, that has been the case hitherto, and I have no reason to believe that Brexit changes that.

Just as well, because the procedure takes ages!  The French DVLA (which also undertakes a number of other official document procedures) have had a decidedly dodgy last couple of years.  When I had to exchange mine a few years ago, it took 9 months and by all accounts that was quick - it was over a year for some!

However ....... returning to the Cheddar problem.  Have you tried large Intermarches C-b?  That’s where I get mine (Wycke Farm is the brand) and it’s about €20 / kilo.

7 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Unless C-b’s UK driving licence is about to expire, he has no need to exchange it for a French one.  At least, that has been the case hitherto, and I have no reason to believe that Brexit changes that.

It is worth checking, I roughly know the UK rules and if you live in the UK for more than a year a non eu license is not valid. I suspect that France will have a similar logic and Brexit will affect that !

I imagine that it is still simpler to swap a license this year than take a new test in France next year !

36 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It is worth checking, I roughly know the UK rules and if you live in the UK for more than a year a non eu license is not valid. I suspect that France will have a similar logic and Brexit will affect that !

I imagine that it is still simpler to swap a license this year than take a new test in France next year !

PS there appears to be a new simpler way https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/New-French-website-for-UK-licence-swaps

Ed - are you concerned re French Quarantine coming in - we are due to go over on the 5th October.

'Wycke Farm is the brand) and it’s about €20 / kilo.'

As Jim and I know from childhood - it is Wyke Farm. One of the lovely sounding village names from the area which it is always a delight to hear since I moved away aged 16 - Wyke Champflower.

Sorry - I say this not to be pedantic, but just for nostalgia sake.

If you can afford it, far superior are the unpasteurised cheddars from Keanes at Wincanton, Jamie Montgomery at North Cadbury and Tom at the Westcombe dairy at Evercreech (each within 5 miles of the other). And probably available in France at Laurent Dubois' fromagerie shops in Paris. Worth the extra!

8 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

If you can afford it, far superior are the unpasteurised cheddars from Keanes at Wincanton, Jamie Montgomery at North Cadbury and Tom at the Westcombe dairy at Evercreech (each within 5 miles of the other). And probably available in France at Laurent Dubois' fromagerie shops in Paris. Worth the extra!

Wyke Farm has fields alongside a railway track. At one time they sold advertising space on the winter 'coats' the cows wore.

• Haha 1

Vaguely on topic, I decided to switch my outbound crossing to the 2nd October to give me more chance re quarantine & in case France signs up to anything at the European Council meeting. I decided to try ringing and not do it online as this particular ticket (now on on it's 11th version) seems to get pricing errors each time and the computer likes giving me Deck 6 on the Normandie.

I got through immediately which is excellent news and their service was excellent as ever.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

According to The Connexxion, unless you have a UK address, it can’t be done.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Practical/Transport/Applying-for-an-international-driving-permit

I tried last year, in the end I exchanged my UK licence for a French one using the new on-line system. Took six weeks start to finish.

Bob.

The Caen timetable from 4 Jan - 21 Mar is now showing just the MSM for passenger traffic.

The freight timetable shows 2 ships (currently MSM/NO), however one of the deleted French screens did say that the Amorique would continue in freight mode in January.

I am waiting for the dog owners to start complaining, however they don't know what the rules are yet !

10 hours ago, Gardian said:

Just as well, because the procedure takes ages!  The French DVLA (which also undertakes a number of other official document procedures) have had a decidedly dodgy last couple of years.  When I had to exchange mine a few years ago, it took 9 months and by all accounts that was quick - it was over a year for some!

However ....... returning to the Cheddar problem.  Have you tried large Intermarches C-b?  That’s where I get mine (Wycke Farm is the brand) and it’s about €20 / kilo.

Just checked this afternoon - Wyke Farm Mature and Extra Mature on sale in LIDL Bodmin at £6.633 per Kilo. Worth trying a LIDL near you in France.

Edited by colinschandler
typo
1 hour ago, colinschandler said:

Just checked this afternoon - Wyke Farm Mature and Extra Mature on sale in LIDL Bodmin at £6.633 per Kilo. Worth trying a LIDL near you in France.

We don’t have a LIDL close to us and even if we did, I doubt that the price would be anything like that.

Anyway, this isn’t really anything to do with Sailing Updates - it’s all Cabin-boy’s fault, moaning continually about not being able to get his daily kilo of Cheddar!

18 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Anyway, this isn’t really anything to do with Sailing Updates - it’s all Cabin-boy’s fault, moaning continually about not being able to get his daily kilo of Cheddar!

Making jokes about my cheese shortage isn't very mature! 😆 Ed

• Haha 1

I just wanted to reply to all your comments yesterday about the driving licence question. 

Both my passport and UK driving licence expire in 2022 and will need renewing.

I had planned to switch my licence to a French one but heard that due to a backlog (I think from Colin in St Malo) applications were being returned. So back at Christmas 2018 I got an IDP for Spain as a precaution for a potential holiday (which we took to Mallorca last October). That was marked as valid for a year. I didn't get around to renewing it last Christmas but at that stage it didn't seem necessary as Brexit was then pushed back a year. In February 2019 I got an IDP for France when in London. It was a precaution again at that point. In fact the woman at the PO put what I think is the wrong expiry date on the document (July 2022 - so 60 months validity) so I don't need to renew that one. Whether that mistake is legal I don't know but it looks safe enough to me.

I do still use my father's address in the UK for certain administrative documents etc which never seems to have caused a problem. Until the Brexit situation is resolved I don't want to go down too many French administrative paths for something that may not then be necessary.

I would however like to renew both IDPs if I had the opportunity just as a precaution and because at £5 each it's not exactly expensive for peace-of-mind. 

The other reason for a trip back, aside for the cheese issue which is a bit of fun, is to see my father. He's perfectly happy for me to 'quarantine' at his house for 24-hours before coming back to France (he think's he had CIVID back in April and ssumes he has some immunity but I'd obvioulsy keep a safe distance and wear a mask if necessary) and will do whatever shopping I want for me so I can avoid contact with anyone. However, to get the IDPs I would have to go to the PO in person and I think that might just be allowed within the rules. As I understand it you have to stay at the named address and are only allowed to go out if there is nobody able to bring you what you need or for administrative/legal/medical reasons. To add to that, I'm not prepared to pay through the nose to come back by car just for 24 hours and as BF are sitting on my £50 (and I see not opportunity to use that at Chrsitmas this year or next summer as yet) I thought I'd come back on my bike. That would therefore mean taking a train from Portsmouth with the bike to get to my 'named address' but again that is within the rules I believe.

Anyway, that's the idea but it needs some refining and I haven't made a decision as yet. Obviously while France doesn't have any entry restrictions it makes sense to do so soonish. I'll keep you posted.

Ed

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Obviously while France doesn't have any entry restrictions it makes sense to do so soonish. I'll keep you posted

Is anything being said about the possibility of this in France either as a French initiative or a joint European one ?

25 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Is anything being said about the possibility of this in France either as a French initiative or a joint European one ?

I'm not hearing anything along those lines. I'm sure BF will update their travel pages if anything changes. I doubt it will be introduced with just 36-hours notice anyway as the EU generally takes quite a long time to decide anything at their meetings. In fact, I believe they often spend more time deliberating over the lunch menu than on actual community business. Ed

• Like 1

I find it strange that when we visit our son in the USA, I can hire a car and drive quite legally on my UK licence but will not be able to do so in France next year. Mind you in New England Cheddar is more expensive per pound than lobster!

Edited by colinschandler