SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

On 27/09/2020 at 09:32, Jim said:

Unfortunately with such limited capacity theres no point in offering space at a relatively heavy discount. 

I understand that but  they could be offered as last minute offers with limited availability so when it is clear the space is unsold, it would be better to fill it  just   as airlines used to offer standby flights. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

Just now, DucdeNormandie said:

I understand that but  they could be offered as last minute offers with limited availability so when it is clear the space is unsold, it would be better to fill it  just   as airlines used to offer standby flights. 

Fair - but the cost of administering that whole process would probably be more than the extra money it would bring in.

22 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I thought in Plymouth fuel was pumped from the on-shore facility next to the berth Itself, as with Pont-Aven in these photos...

Chris

85B82D20-532E-437B-8362-9985A369C175.jpeg

5C2583F5-EC3A-45F8-83A4-181AA56D8E77.jpeg

I'm basing the assumption on Whitchampion being a bunkering vessel - would seem a bit far for her to stray from base just for sightseeing! But I could be wrong!

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Bunkering - supplying fuel.

The Whitchampion has been toeing and froing all weekend. Went alongside Pont for engine oil, then same for Cap 2 days ago, and in between is fueling the Plymouth fuel farm. i've seen her go back and forth about a dozen times to avoid ferrys on the berth, heh.

41 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm basing the assumption on Whitchampion being a bunkering vessel - would seem a bit far for her to stray from base just for sightseeing! But I could be wrong!

Chris, I seem to remember that you once explained to me that the reason why Arm and PA didn't always go in the same way round at Plymouth was so that the bunkering inlet pipe was shore side in and not because the PA's bow door was broke again. As Cap HAS to go in stern first perhaps her filler cap is on the port side

Sorry meant to reply to FW's PA bunkering photos.

Edited by colinschandler
quote on wrong post
  • Like 1

Am I being a bit dim (please don't be shy!)?

I'm wondering why BF aren't offering a stay on board mini cruise to Santander in a similar way to Color Line in Oslo where passengers can sail enjoying the onboard facilities but are unable to disembark at Kiel.

I'd book one tomorrow.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jonno said:

I'm wondering why BF aren't offering a stay on board mini cruise to Santander in a similar way to Color Line in Oslo where passengers can sail enjoying the onboard facilities but are unable to disembark at Kiel.

I'd book one tomorrow.

They could do a Portsmouth - Plymouth one. Dine on board!

If I go abroad I really, really, want to get off at the other end to enjoy the  local ambience. Being stuck on a ferry just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

PA is quite a nice ship but I wouldn't consider her as a short break destination in her own right. You could stay in a Premier Inn in a nice UK destination with four times the accommodation area, all TV channels, decent bathroom,no bunk bed ladders and the room doesn't go up and down when the wind blows.

What I would most like is our old routine of overnight Portsmouth to St Malo on a 24 hour excursion then a day spent stocking up in the Intermarche at La Richardais across the Rance Barrage and then exploring the coast to the West, Fort La Latte, Cap Frehel, the glorious coastline and on to Erquy for coffee and the Saturday market. Then back to St Malo Intra Muros for lunch followed by a walk around the ramparts and then a leisurely walk around the Intra Muros shops before early boarding and supper on board on the incomparable Bretagne before departure, arriving at Portsmouth just after breakfast and home by 10:30. It really doesn't get any better than that and I defy anyone to get more out of a day ashore although whether we will ever be able to do it again who knows?

In the meantime our lounge is graced by four watercolour paintings of the coastal area which we picked up for next to nothing in the Erquy market to remind of us of our travels.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, jonno said:

I'd book one tomorrow.

They are still pretending that you can do a non-landing cruise on the French site. Of course, if you try to book it says the crossing is full. 

https://www.brittany-ferries.fr/vacances/croisieres/journee-croisieres-angleterre/croisiere-vers-l-angleterre

Ed

On 27/09/2020 at 10:32, David Williams said:

Ask Portsmouth port on Twitter what options there are.

I sent a Tweet to PIP asking for any information.

As of yet I have not had an answer as they are clearly far too busy dealing with a massive influx of other passengers,  err..no, wait, that's not right. Sorry, dealing with massive outbreak of boredom in the (unjustifiable) absence of any passengers. 

Moving on, does anyone know what the current check-in time for car and bikes is? It obviously used to be 45 minutes but I'm sure they doubled that earlier in the year. Has it now returned to normal? If it's wet and windy I don't wish to stand around with a laptop in my backpack, soaked to the skin. 

Ed. 

The new processes mean that everyone has to be ready before they start any of the initial loading procedures, however given the current numbers I imagine that it is not necessary !

Historically cars have started moving through security an hour or more before sailing, it didn't matter if some arrived after the first cars had moved through, with the new system it does.

However the good news is that they are back to the published timetable on the Caen route and not informing you on the day that it is delayed !

The ships will now often depart early when all are loaded, however they will slow down to save fuel and still arrive at the published time -  note that the freight only day time sailings from November take 30 mins longer than the mixed ones !

15 minutes ago, David Williams said:

When CF left Plymouth yesterday, the destination was Roscoff - presumably for the crew change, however when it was nearly there the destination changed to Bilbao - not sure if they changed their mind or just put the wrong destination in !

She did call at Roscoff according to AIS.

3 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

It is the extra time required to put little coloured stickers on the cars.

Ah, yes of course. I'm just not sure I can cycle that slowly (90 minutes to cover 400 yards) without falling off. I wonder where they put the sticker on cyclists? Forehead, helmet, or handlebars?

Ed.

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ah, yes of course. I'm just not sure I can cycle that slowly (90 minutes to cover 400 yards) without falling off. I wonder where they put the sticker on cyclists? Forehead, helmet, or handlebars?

Ed.

You really dont want to know 😂🤣

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, jonno said:

I bet he does! He's in to that is our Ed, a man of the world.😁

To be honest the application of said sticker is never really the problem. It's removing it after a few hours that's a pain Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1