SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

Plane, Train or Ferry tickets will be enough proof in the case of an inspection. Picking someone up might be more tricky but a copy of their ticket plus your own signed document should work. That's not going to be a problem with BF as they aren't taking foot passengers but might be necessary in Dieppe.  

Ed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

As it’s the sailing updates thread Ed and I are holding a summit on MSM tomorrow to rival the David Frost/Michel Barnier affair, over a romantic dinner in La Galerie self-service restaurant. Ed is threatening to drink either tea or orangina, I’ll do my best to share a few secrets of my profession without getting him pickled but we will share any success in Anglo-French discussions as they emerge.

If however there is a post from either Fine Boy or Cabin Whine after 17h BST assume we’re getting on famously ....😂

Chris

Have a good trip guys..someday somehow when we get back to finding out which side is actually up we need to do such a crossing where we can meet up and `chew the fat`...look forward to it

• Like 1

Mid-channel report: 

Ed in fine form, I was unable to wean him off the Orangina to go with his fish and chips. I had of course sneaked in some red in a San Pelligrino bottle to go with the excellent beef sirloin, just a shame there are so few passengers on board to enjoy it.

We’ve set the world straight although you’re correct Paully, finding which side is up isn’t easy at the moment. Perhaps a Galicia trip to Cherbourg would be a fun occasion to chew some fat, but only when the 24 hour offers come back as it’s all a bit pricey at the moment - however needs must and I for one am very grateful BF are still running a service of some sort.  

Ouistreham gendarmes/douanes had their hands full with migrants trying to access lorries en masse earlier, that problem is going nowhere fast.

Boy Wine & Fine Cabin

• Like 7

It took me a while to clear the port last night due to the time required to scan all the locator forms and poke around in people's car boots. 

It's now 11am and as yet nobody has bothered to call me to check that I'm still where I'm supposed to be. 

Ed. 

41 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's now 11am and as yet nobody has bothered to call me to check that I'm still where I'm supposed to be. 

They probably won’t, they don’t phone everyone. We are on day 10 and have not had any contact.

46 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It took me a while to clear the port last night due to the time required to scan all the locator forms and poke around in people's car boots. 

Ed. 

We did the full 14 days and no contact

47 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed. 

Your not getting Cabin fever all ready are you 

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

No, plenty to keep me busy. 

Ed

I presume you`ve ordered a delivery of the half ton of cheddar and 4 gallons of Branston pickle? 🤣

20 minutes ago, Paully said:

I presume you`ve ordered a delivery of the half ton of cheddar and 4 gallons of Branston pickle? 🤣

Exactly.  And now I'm trying to work out how to pack it all into the car. Ed 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, ZinedineBiscan said:

Ditto!  Given how things are going I'm glad I did my French excursion this year even tho it was a pain.

Me to we had a very enjoyable 3 weeks in Spain quarantine was not an issue to us. Not looking forward to the next few months. If you live  in tier 3 area then quarantine is not really an issue. 

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Still waiting for the call!

Do they work on Sundays? How hard can it be for them to pick up the phone for a 1-minute conversation, or do they not want to pay the international charges?

Ed

Ha...you`ve just found out how Britain doesnt work. Its been outsourced to one of Britains most useless companies called Serco..Yes they also `designed` the less than stellar NHS App. Dont download it whatever you do or your phone might revert to its Chinese origins🤣

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1

Hang on Ed, here’s the wording from the official Government site...

What you need to know

The information you give will be used to contact you if someone you travelled with develops coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms.

It may also be used to check that you are self-isolating if you need to.

Your information will be kept for 42 days then deleted, unless it’s needed for related work. It will be used in line with the privacy policy.

You had the good fortune to spend some of the crossing in my company (😇)I haven’t tested positive for Covid 19 so there’s no need for someone to contact you on that score, and note they may rather than will contact you to check you’re behaving yourself. I fear your weekend awaiting that elusive call may end in disappointment...

Chris

ps the walnuts are delicious!

I had a couple of good crossings for my weekend in the UK. MSM (first time on her) on Friday was fine but very quiet. The trip back on Normandie yesterday was, if anything, even quieter. It's sad to see the ships so deserted but at least I got a lot of work done, having the upper cafe areas entirely to myself. I had a good lunch of boiled ham yesterday and the bread rolls were nice and fresh. Normandie could however do with some TLC on her paintwork although she did seem very clean inside. 

Ed. 

DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

DSC_0631.JPG

Correction to my comment, which I put on the Timetables 2021 thread by mistake.

'Kerry' looked a bit tired arriving in Santander on Tuesday morning, 'Kerry' has two more visits to Rosslare - late Friday and again on Monday (PM), departing Rosslare for the final time on Tuesday 3rd November back to Santander, arriving on Wednesday (All depending on weather). Both 'Kerry' and 'MN Pelican' have been diverted to Santander due to apparent Stevedore 'Slow Action' in Bilbao (Unconfirmed). 'Kerry' will remain in Santander after next Wednesday until the crew receive orders.

Le Havre movements has 'Connemara' listed for departure this Friday at 0800 bound for Portsmouth.  According to my source, 'Connemara' is due to dock in Santander on November 6th, presumably she will be carrying freight from Portsmouth then taking up the Rosslare/Spain run from Bilbao on November 8th.

Photo: Jose Luis Diaz Campa

2.jpg

See that PA sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff last night was Cancelled no doubt due to weather.

Also the sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff tonight at 10pm will now arrive Roscoff at 2.30pm on Thursday which does seem very odd as making it a 15 hour crossing.

could that be down to weather or the berth not being free till 2.30pm?

11 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I had a couple of good crossings for my weekend in the UK. MSM (first time on her) on Friday was fine but very quiet. The trip back on Normandie yesterday was, if anything, even quieter. It's sad to see the ships so deserted but at least I got a lot of work done, having the upper cafe areas entirely to myself. I had a good lunch of boiled ham yesterday and the bread rolls were nice and fresh. Normandie could however do with some TLC on her paintwork although she did seem very clean inside. 

Ed. 

DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

DSC_0631.JPG

AAh bread rolls.........worthy of a thread on its own🤣

11 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

(All depending on weather).

You're not wrong there!

Local Cantabrian news are reporting a state of "Pre-emergencey" due to the forecast 7 metre waves.

https://www.eldiariomontanes.es/cantabria/cantabria-preemergencia-temporal-20201028084103-nt.html#vca=245035&vso=nw&vmc=20201028091951-0700-100-diaria_manana_0115&vli=re_plant-c-not-2&vus=cf4d65f4e2a94d4ea1067b1f80c57bf1

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

I thought this might get raised, but it may become quickly torpedo`d??

I am literally finished. I am not allowing a single further item enter my head on the subject no matter how tempting.

On a different note... what was the sauce on the main course up there? Looks nice...

4 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

On a different note... what was the sauce on the main course up there? Looks nice...

I never did find out. The chef asked if I wanted sauce and I said yes. It was very nice, a bit like a weak but tasty gravy. Ed.