SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

Coronavirus travel updates and advice

Last updated: 5 October 15:30 CET

As this is the most recent advice, I hope someone at BF will explain how the new French lockdown might affect ferries.

Just now, BZH29 said:

As this is the most recent advice, I hope someone at BF will explain how the new French lockdown might affect ferries.

I am sure they will tomorrow, however as the plan is to switch to just one passenger ship to France and one to Spain next week I would not have thought anything will change.

13 hours ago, BZH29 said:

I see that BF have confirmed that a number of sailings are going ahead in response to specific questions.

Note that the date on the travel updates is wrong - it refers to the last CEO update, however in the FAQ bit it refers to curfews on the 23rd October. Some of the other information is a bit out of date as well.

It would be useful if BF could tidy these pages up and also start maintaining the sailing updates page again as well.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, David Williams said:

I am sure they will tomorrow, however as the plan is to switch to just one passenger ship to France and one to Spain next week I would not have thought anything will change.

Don't forget Rosslare to Spain will still be operating .

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

Don't forget Rosslare to Spain will still be operating .

If I was a pedant, I would point out that Rosslare to Bilbao is not running next week !

However, yes,  I should modify it to one passenger ship on UK- France, UK - Spain and Ireland - Spain over the Winter starting next week.

17 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

It’s officially called « sauce diable » and advertised as ham with devil sauce, a thin, brown veal stock based sauce which just about sums it up...

Chris

As a dish it would be originally known as "Saupiquet de Amognes" it originates from the 16th century , I suppose ham with devil sauce is easier for the customers to pronounce .

The last sailing from Plymouth left this morning - the next one not due until 21st March. 

What will happen with covid and Brexit between now and then is anyone’s guess...

I liked the early morning Friday crossing. Get up for around 6am, get down the docks after 7am, ship sails at 8am, arrive after lunch. Drive down to house, and arrive by around 4-5pm - and do a bit of gardening until the evening.

From march, the day sailing does not depart until after lunch, to arrive in the evening. The time I get to the house will be dark, so have to use my car headlights to find my way in to turn the electric on. 

Thanks BF for thinking of me!

• Like 1

That is what a six hour crossing is for, closing your eyes and thinking have I packed everything....

Never mind that I spent the whole day before packing everything - i mean having three petrol strimmer in the car is never enough!

Try and explain that to the roscoff car boot searchers. 

58 minutes ago, PGTV said:

I liked the early morning Friday crossing. Get up for around 6am, get down the docks after 7am, ship sails at 8am, arrive after lunch. Drive down to house, and arrive by around 4-5pm - and do a bit of gardening until the evening.

From march, the day sailing does not depart until after lunch, to arrive in the evening. The time I get to the house will be dark, so have to use my car headlights to find my way in to turn the electric on. 

Thanks BF for thinking of me!

Exactly the same for us, the early morning departure has been perfect. One hour to Plymouth to depart 08.01! with outside 4 berth cabin at £25.20 to catch up on some Z's.

Arrive Roscoff 15,00 , with quick stops for some essential shopping at the Red bus to see Fred, then Super U at St. Pol, half an hour after leaving the port, kettle on at Chez Bretagne.

38 minutes ago, PGTV said:

That is what a six hour crossing is for, closing your eyes and thinking have I packed everything....

Never mind that I spent the whole day before packing everything - i mean having three petrol strimmer in the car is never enough!

Try and explain that to the roscoff car boot searchers. 

Again, just like us. although I seem to manage with one Strimmer and a Hedge Trimmer (always strap a bag over the engines so Plymouth security can't see if there's any full still in them!)

Now did I pack the big box of mixed screws, spare strimmer cord. the chargers for my cordless hammer drill and sabre saw? I still have two mowers and a range of power tools in the workshop at Chez Bretagne!!

My head of hospitality services Mrs C, takes responsibility for the cool box, her bag of gardening clothes and the clean bedding etc!! The interrogation of course on route to Plymouth - did you turn of all of the lights,  pick up the passports, the ticket and most importantly have you got the keys to the house? 

Edited by colinschandler
22 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

Again, just like us. although I seem to manage with one Strimmer and a Hedge Trimmer (always strap a bag over the engines so Plymouth security can't see if there's any full still in them!)

Now did I pack the big box of mixed screws, spare strimmer cord. the chargers for my cordless hammer drill and sabre saw? I still have two mowers and a range of power tools in the workshop at Chez Bretagne!!

My head of hospitality services Mrs C, takes responsibility for the cool box, her bag of gardening clothes and the clean bedding etc!! The interrogation of course on route to Plymouth - did you turn of all of the lights,  pick up the passports, the ticket and most importantly have you got the keys to the house? 

All sounds familiar, especially red bus place. More of a Lidl and le clerc Carhaix shopper personally.

unfortunately I inherited a house in France nr Carhaix. My parents bought it for retirement, sadly both never made retirement age. The house was long term empty due to ill health - the garden is a forest/jungle. So no idea where to start. It’s a mess.

My first visit was September 2018, went with a petrol strimmer. And within 20 minutes it stopped working. I dismantled the throttle (don’t ask) - only to end up with a bag of bits. Manage to repair it - six months later. So ended up with two strimmer as I purchased another one in the meantime.

so took two last spring 2019. 

Only for more illness to strike (summer 2019), and then covid restrictions (spring 2020) - so no one been since June 2019!

i managed to arrange for someone to visit the house a few weeks ago (very thankful for the CBJ magazine), only to find that the windows blew open last winter, and the house is full of mould - so not going well at the moment

determined to sort it out in 2021

the image shown is suppose to be a field/grass - no trees!

52EB79A1-54D8-4982-A4EA-DF3B3623B83E.jpeg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, PGTV said:

All sounds familiar, especially red bus place. More of a Lidl and le clerc Carhaix shopper personally.

unfortunately I inherited a house in France nr Carhaix.

Whereabouts near Carhaix are you?  My father and stepmother live in Huelgoat, but I haven't been able to get over this year.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Whereabouts near Carhaix are you?  My father and stepmother live in Huelgoat, but I haven't been able to get over this year.

Poullaouen - so just down the road between Huelgoat and Carhaix

• Like 1
20 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Exactly the same for us, the early morning departure has been perfect. One hour to Plymouth to depart 08.01! with outside 4 berth cabin at £25.20 to catch up on some Z's.

Yep. Same here- early morning depart- 18 mins to Milbay. Cuppa, catch up on sleep. Wake for lunch, shower and bish bosh Roscoff then on the road. 1 hr 45m to door. How we laughed at the those worn out retirees who had slogged down from upt' north who started out overnight to the port then a mere 6 hours driving to their home in Fr. All gone now, except the closeness of Plymouth and who knows if thats still viable for BF.

Back again to GB .Not altered for a predeparture shop at Le Clerc and the 1500 sailing, thank God.

Still the little Armorique will be back. The Pont is far too big for us. Once asked a member of staff on the Pont where cabin xxxx  is only to be told they would go and ask someone else. Made me laugh.

Well, I guess we will have to see if we fit in with the new outbound overnight service. Who knows!

Lets hope that the extra 45 minutes on check in does not continue next year, I am sure that BF could still manage a controlled loading with an extra 15 mins. However, I am very happy for the stay in cabin until called to continue,

I have enjoyed the stories of drives in the dark and strimmers.

When we bought a place in France we had a few criteria:-

• Good Food (so Normandy and not Brittany)
  • A holiday home not a work home (we bought a flat) - mind you this backfired on the last visit as the lift was not working for most of the trip !
  • Easy Access (we are 25 mins from Ouistreham, 1 hour from Le Havre and 3 hours from Coquelles)
  • Restaurants in walking distance (circa 100 within 25 mins walk).
  • Decent Walks 

Living in West London we can get to Portsmouth in 75 mins and Folkestone in around 100 mins.

We are very pleased with our choice, however sounds like it will be a pain understanding all of the taxes when we come to sell it.

22 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Good Food (so Normandy and not Brittany)

Dangerous! Although I do tend to agree with you. I am however having a galette for lunch today followed by a delicious Turgoule I brought back with me last Monday from Normandy. 

Ed. 

Funny enough - we always thought that. Living in Plymouth is ideal, it’s literally 10 minute drive to the terminal. We arrive in the morning fresh as a daisy, while others you can see traveled through the night. They are usually fast asleep by the break water!

have a coffee by around 10am, then lunch at 1pm. By which time France can just about be seen. Arrive by 3pm, and on the road by 4pm for a leisure drive of about 1hr and a bit. Turn off the main road - then the butterflies start - what has happened to the place since last visit. Only to arrive to find everything is ok, but the garden is back overgrown again.

I agree with the comment above. The Brits always go for an old stone building that needs renovation. I don’t want to go on holiday, and end up plastering or laying pipes. I just want to sit in the garden - listen to nothing by the birds or a tractor, drink fine wine, and go for walks, bike rides etc. I can’t do this in Britain, but can do it there.

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Dangerous! Although I do tend to agree with you. I am however having a galette for lunch today followed by a delicious Turgoule I brought back with me last Monday from Normandy. 

Ed. 

To be fair, I have eaten at a number of very good restaurants in Brittany, especially in recent years. However, 30 years ago I found it more difficult to find food that was not a pancake.

Update on the BF info page https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus

International travel during UK lockdown between Thursday 5 November and Wednesday 2 December

We continue to run our reduced winter schedule to ensure the transport of essential goods and continued service for customers returning home or travelling for reasons permitted under the prevailing government guidance.

Your options if you are no longer able to travel during these dates:

- Amend your booking up to and including 31 October 2021, we are temporarily waiving the amendment fee.

- For ferry only you can cancel subject to the conditions of your ticket.

- For holiday bookings our team will be contacting customers in order of date departure to discuss options of deferment or cancelation with full refund.