Jump to content
News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News


Recommended Posts

I should have been heading back to France tomorrow morning but my daughter tested positive for Covid 19 on Friday evening, so FW has to self isolate until the 11th...🤬😳😡

Completely mucked up all my work plans but not her fault, that means I’ll have more time to post stupid comments on here....😂

I’ve just phoned BF to amend my ticket and in all fairness they waived the amendment fee without hesitation.

Chris

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Thanks for all the concern, made it back into Portsmouth this morning and Mrs FW’s wine stocks have been duly replenished so she’s doubly happy. Not particularly bothered about getting back although a

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

I should have been heading back to France tomorrow morning but my daughter tested positive for Covid 19 on Friday evening, so FW has to self isolate until the 11th...🤬😳😡

Completely mucked up all my work plans but not her fault, that means I’ll have more time to post stupid comments on here....😂

I’ve just phoned BF to amend my ticket and in all fairness they waived the amendment fee without hesitation.

Chris

Sorry to hear that Chris, best wishes to you and your family and hope all is well at this difficult time. Good to hear that BF service is back to how we always knew it to be. I had a reason to ring them last week and got the answer straight away. 

  As to more time perhaps you and Ed can have more grammer correcting contests to while away the hours 🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Paully said:

Sorry to hear that Chris, best wishes to you and your family and hope all is well at this difficult time.

 

Thanks Paul, we are both heading out to get a test now - good news is the red wine doesn’t taste like water yet...😂
Chris

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Covid test all done, only booked it at lunchtime and by 15h30 it was finished and carried out with military precision at the Tangmere testing centre just outside Chichester - many thanks to all concerned.

Now it’s a question of awaiting the dreaded text or email for confirmation of the results, either way I’ll be painting the house/jet washing the drive/putting up curtains for the next 10 days etc.etc. And of course checking the tastebuds are still functioning.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Have I missed something with Connemara? She's listed on Marine Traffic as being Cypriot flagged again, she was initially wasn't she? And then moved to Morlaix 

 

Tony, on his facebook page, does say that his Kerry 'source' is now on the Connemara.

Seems to be a lot of painting going on in Santander !

 

Edited by David Williams
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, David Williams said:

 

The unions will not be happy.

Shhsh! Don't tell them in that case. 

The chances are that, with the lockdown and furlough scheme, they are all sat at home watching TV and haven't actually noticed yet.

Ed

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Shhsh! Don't tell them in that case. 

The chances are that, with the lockdown and furlough scheme, they are all sat at home watching TV and haven't actually noticed yet.

Ed

Even UK unions are not happy about P&O and Stena flagging some of their Ferries under the Cypriot  flag.  And the French unions  they won't be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2020 at 13:49, Fine Whine said:

Thanks Paul, we are both heading out to get a test now - good news is the red wine doesn’t taste like water yet...😂
Chris

Sorry to hear of your set back Chris.

We got back from Henvic on Sunday before last, but I had come back with a tooth abscess that required me to spend 2 days  at the Royal Cornwall Hospital on intravenous antibiotics and an emergency extraction. The bonus was that I had a negative Covid test. After the  post op course of antibiotics I as then able to carry out regular home covid tests. I recommend you try the same Chris.

IMG_9570.jpg

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Have I missed something with Connemara? She's listed on Marine Traffic as being Cypriot flagged again, she was initially wasn't she? And then moved to Morlaix 

Screenshot_20201107-200010_MarineTraffic.jpg


I read or heard somewhere a few months ago now that this was planned to happen, most likely from a BF source in Roscoff who regularly keeps us updated about what’s going on. I imagine the company would have informed/agreed with the unions well in advance of such a move and it has been approved by all parties concerned, otherwise they really are shooting themselves in both feet - which I doubt very much is the case.

Chris

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:


I read or heard somewhere a few months ago now that this was planned to happen, most likely from a BF source in Roscoff who regularly keeps us updated about what’s going on. I imagine the company would have informed/agreed with the unions well in advance of such a move and it has been approved by all parties concerned, otherwise they really are shooting themselves in both feet - which I doubt very much is the case.

Chris

I guess it will be part of a progressive move to the E-Flexers, which will probably all be French crewed? Connemara will end her charter and be returned in due course, and in the meantime will operate Ireland to Spain and not need to crew change in France?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colin said:

Connemara will end her charter and be returned in due course, and in the meantime will operate Ireland to Spain and not need to crew change in France?

I wonder if the Rosslaire-  Cherboug return is still on given the planned daily trips from the other carriers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragging the thread back a little. We live in West Wales and Guemene Sur Scorff.

Plymouth is our preferred outward route as it's generally cheaper than crossing into St M.

That said 20.00 is a nice time to board in Portsmouth and 08.00 a nice time to arrive.

We have used the 0800 out of Plymouth - camping just up the road, up at dawn, strike camp hit the road breakfast on the fly. We were fostering at the time so there were 9 of us in a large ex Police riot van / minibus. Military level operation.

Overnights out of Plymouth were a bit late boarding and early arriving for young children meaning the first day was a not a good children day.

Children have grown up which makes life easier, minibus replaced with a VW transporter.

The 12.00 Plymouth sailings this year look really interesting. Could hit the house at 15.00 - nice time to arrive. 

We have done some of the Sunday morning crossings too, sleep in the van in the terminal, night out in Roscoff. 

We like the 15.00 crossings out of Roscoff too - makes for an 0200 arrival in Wales which is OK with only a few of us now.

Return trips out of Portsmouth are a form of torture. Even being on Bretagne is no compensation...

We have nothing firm reserved next year, it's a toss up between a midweek out to St Malo, to enjoy the bretagne one last time then a day crossing back on the PA.

Or Roscoff both legs, day crossings on the PA.

Rhys

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, David Williams said:

Tony has now published a picture of Connemara showing Limassol.

A bit of a risky move as BF did promise to have the Connemara French registered and  their logic for funding is French jobs.

The unions will not be happy.

The agreement was that the Rosslare ship would be French-flagged in 3 years after the route starting, if I remember correctly.  That takes us to April 2021.

Given the situation BF are facing, no doubt this may be part of wider negotiations.  I suspect the Unions will be pragmatic and their biggest target will be to work with the company to preserve permanent posts.  So far I'm not aware of BF making any staff redundant though I imagine no seasonal staff were taken on in 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Penlan said:

Dragging the thread back a little. We live in West Wales and Guemene Sur Scorff.

Plymouth is our preferred outward route as it's generally cheaper than crossing into St M.

We must be near neighbours. Guemene is our nearest supermarket.

From Cornwall we always go Plymouth - Roscoff and always a night crossing.

A delight is taking the Friday night to hit the Saturday Carhaix market. Really starts a trip off nicely.

 

I have often spoken with Welsh passengers on the Plymouth crossing. First timers are surprised how fast the journey is.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm embarrassed to admit that unlike others  I don't have a house in France... but if I get the choice of paying £95 for a short night in a windowless inside cabin on Amorique from Plymouth next summer,  followed by a snatched breakfast on a tray as we arrive....or a daytime sailing followed a very comfortable hotel in Roscoff ...then the decision will not be difficult. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just about to say Wortley, never ever feel embarrassed about not being a French Property owner. A second home in France can give endless pleasure to some, others are probably too embarrassed to admit that what seemed like a good idea at the time has turned into a bit of a millstone with tax upon tax upon tax, language difficulties, grass that rarely stops growing, septic tanks, a healthy dollop of sometimes unfathomable bureaucracy that even the French can struggle with, it doesn’t all smell of roses. Added to which who knows what dear old Boris has up his sleeve at the moment...

France is a huge, diverse and often beautiful country, at least you can get out there and explore it at will.

Chris

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Penlan said:

Dragging the thread back a little. We live in West Wales and Guemene Sur Scorff.

Plymouth is our preferred outward route as it's generally cheaper than crossing into St M.

That said 20.00 is a nice time to board in Portsmouth and 08.00 a nice time to arrive.

We have used the 0800 out of Plymouth - camping just up the road, up at dawn, strike camp hit the road breakfast on the fly. We were fostering at the time so there were 9 of us in a large ex Police riot van / minibus. Military level operation.

Overnights out of Plymouth were a bit late boarding and early arriving for young children meaning the first day was a not a good children day.

Children have grown up which makes life easier, minibus replaced with a VW transporter.

The 12.00 Plymouth sailings this year look really interesting. Could hit the house at 15.00 - nice time to arrive. 

We have done some of the Sunday morning crossings too, sleep in the van in the terminal, night out in Roscoff. 

We like the 15.00 crossings out of Roscoff too - makes for an 0200 arrival in Wales which is OK with only a few of us now.

Return trips out of Portsmouth are a form of torture. Even being on Bretagne is no compensation...

We have nothing firm reserved next year, it's a toss up between a midweek out to St Malo, to enjoy the bretagne one last time then a day crossing back on the PA.

Or Roscoff both legs, day crossings on the PA.

Rhys

 

 

Have I missed something?

thought the Friday day crossing from 2021 departs Plymouth at 13:00 and arrives at 19:45 (French time). 

As a property owner also (nr Carhaix), this is a pain in the bottom as I will arrive basically in the evening. Much prefer arriving early afternoon - atleast I can turn the electric and water on in daylight. 

Believe me - who ever thought of putting a stop cock in the middle of a field, about a meter down a hole needs shooting. Impossible to do in the dark

cant BF compromise and depart at 11am instead...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I was just about to say Wortley, never ever feel embarrassed about not being a French Property owner. A second home in France can give endless pleasure to some, others are probably too embarrassed to admit that what seemed like a good idea at the time has turned into a bit of a millstone with tax upon tax upon tax, language difficulties, grass that rarely stops growing, septic tanks, a healthy dollop of sometimes unfathomable bureaucracy that even the French can struggle with, it doesn’t all smell of roses. Added to which who knows what dear old Boris has up his sleeve at the moment...

France is a huge, diverse and often beautiful country, at least you can get out there and explore it at will.

Chris

You are 100% correct (for me atleast)

Tax (two lots a year). Do not speak a single word of french. The field was once grass - now it’s a forest. Septic tank that cannot accept UK bum paper. Amen to their bureaucratic system - google translate came to the rescue many times. Heaven knows how much has been spent over the years....

Yet you only live once 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gareth unpinned this topic
  • Gareth locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...