News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

20 minutes ago, YMF said:

Interested to know where you get your updates from as Brittany don’t seem to publish them anymore and the positional map has gone as well. We were booked on the Santander crossing to UK on Sunday but decided to defer for a week after looking at the  likely crossing weather. It looks like we made the right decision, fingers crossed for next weekend.

A couple of tweets mentioned it, the Portsmouth site shows the late arrival and cancellation under arrivals and departures.

https://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Thanks for all the concern, made it back into Portsmouth this morning and Mrs FW’s wine stocks have been duly replenished so she’s doubly happy. Not particularly bothered about getting back although a

Posted Images

Extract from a tweet

Cap Finistere has announced its 4th delay of the journey from Bilbao to Portsmouth. 3 hours late departing, then engine trouble has pushed arrival to 5pm, 7pm and now 8pm.

The cancellation message for the return mentioned technical problems according to another tweet,

21 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Extract from a tweet

Cap Finistere has announced its 4th delay of the journey from Bilbao to Portsmouth. 3 hours late departing, then engine trouble has pushed arrival to 5pm, 7pm and now 8pm.

The cancellation message for the return mentioned technical problems according to another tweet,

The next one will presumably suggest a diversion to Brest. There is a storm brewing out in the Atlantic and if there are engine problems it might be more prudent to put in somewhere sheltered until it passes.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

A slightly inauspicious start to Normandie’s return to service this morning. It’s never good news to know you’ll be late in but in all fairness BF do keep their passengers informed whenever there is a problem.

We're sorry to inform you that, due to a technical problem, your Caen/Ouistreham sailing this afternoon is delayed by approximately 45 minutes. Latest check-in remains unchanged. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Hopefully just a question of dusting down the cobwebs and nothing more serious, I’ll see what interior remedial work (if any) has been carried out later...

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
On 13/11/2020 at 06:31, IanN said:

We have always paid cash for our cars. We look at what we have in the Building Society work out what we are prepared to spend and then buy accordingly. I always looked at it this way. Back in the day buy a used car on finance over three years and by the time you paid it off it would not be worth much more than scrap value so as we could not afford much never had a smart new car on the drive. Considered a delivery mileage Audi A1 with all the extras on it at £30,500. Then had a reality check and we will be sticking with what we have.

That's a bonkers price considering you're paying the premium for the four ring badge and nothing more. 

Bought a 2 year old Skoda Superb in Feb for less that 50% of a new one, top end with all the toys... and an umbrella in each front door.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, jonno said:

That's a bonkers price considering you're paying the premium for the four ring badge and nothing more. 

Bought a 2 year old Skoda Superb in Feb for less that 50% of a new one, top end with all the toys... and an umbrella in each front door.

Agreed I think the situation with Coronavirus addled our brain cells for a while

Nice one Tony.

You should have snapped CF arriving an hour later, she’s definitely in need of some TLC to her exterior paintwork.

We eventually left the berth at ten past three 25 minutes late, I resigned myself to a late arrival into Ouistreham and an even later return home. The boeuf bourguignon was dashed good (again), an announcement saying “all ze toilets are now working” brought a round of applause from the freight drivers, a quick look astern confirmed the starboard prop was not at full speed and our late arrival was getting later by the minute. 

Being a regular I can usually tell by the engine hum when things are not good, suddenly everything clicked into place and with wind and tide in the right direction we actually entered the port at 21h25. I was the second vehicle off 20 minutes later, probably the fastest crossing I’ve ever had so good to know the old girl still has it in her. Onboard nothing has changed although she’s obviously had a deep clean, bumped into a couple of truckers I know complaining it’s increasingly difficult to find space on the Caen route - now that’s a nice problem for BF to have....

Chris

• Like 2

CF will be going off-service after she gets into Santander today (ahead of Galicia's entry into service tomorrow).  Resuming in the NY with a stint at Rosslare.  presume (but haven't seen anything about it) that she will be going for her usual dry docking at Astander (?).

59 minutes ago, Gareth said:

presume (but haven't seen anything about it) that she will be going for her usual dry docking at Astander

The original plan was for her to be laid-up in Le Havre after dry docking but as you said, she's now covering Connemara while she covers Pelican in Poole.

Capture.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver
20 minutes ago, nodwad said:

.i wonder how many passengers she will have on board

There was a serial whinger on Twitter who was on the recent CF from Santander, she was complaining it was busy and she had to wait an hour in the queue to get served at the self service. She was also complaining at the lack of chocolate bars.

Interesting how the wifi works fine when you are complaining about something else !

Edited by David Williams
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Paulyh75 said:

Normandie sailing cancelled from

caen this afternoon.. door won’t shut so everyone been turned off.. long trip back via Calais now 

Dear oh dear.  She’s just come back from a month’s refit!  Showing her age again.

• Sad 1
  • Gareth unpinned this topic
  • Gareth locked this topic