News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

Just had the dreaded ;Regret to advise you that due to a technical fault . . .'  Now departing at 2100 instead of 2300.

They should have started the message with 'We are delighted to inform you  that etc' - although I appreciate that it may not suit everyone. 2300 is well past my bedtime.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Thanks for all the concern, made it back into Portsmouth this morning and Mrs FW’s wine stocks have been duly replenished so she’s doubly happy. Not particularly bothered about getting back although a

Posted Images

21/12/20

BBC posted that France not accepting UK lorries now due to C19 and BF saying they are "consolidating " services now.
Any news on the Caen -Portsmouth service just after xmas? Have friends who braved a quick visit to their place in Finistere and will be travelling back before we are ex European on the 1st.

Thought it might be nice to give them a heads up on any amendments to their return crossing chances.

Where  is the best place to look for an inflatable boat along the French coast going north bound. Might be useful for them!

HNY!

Stu

1 minute ago, Khaines said:

I am wondering if all this will affect Cotentin’s return if this all carries on after Christmas into the new year.   

Well she si dedicated freight vessel, if I was BF, I might consider putting her on the Caen route, instead of Normandie/MSM (probably Normandie due to age) as would be more efficient being freight only

• Like 1

Brittany Ferries cancels services due to Covid travel restrictions with hundreds of passengers left stranded in Portsmouth

A FERRY firm operating from Portsmouth has cancelled multiple services to France due to Covid-19 travel restrictions, leaving hundreds of passengers stranded onboard a ferry overnight.

Brittany Ferries has had to cancel six sailings from Portsmouth to Caen across Sunday to Tuesday.

The cancellations follow France imposing travel restrictions on journeys from the UK until 11.59pm tomorrow, with the aim of curtailing the spread of a more contagious form of Covid-19.

More than 1,000 passengers and 400 freight vehicles had been due to travel with the ferry service.

Last night, a total of 355 passengers were left stranded onboard the Normandie ferry overnight after its 10.45pm sailing was suddenly cancelled, with some travellers reduced to tears according to one passenger.

Simon Wolf, an English ex-patriate living in France and back in the UK for a weekend business trip, said: ‘We were sat down for our meal at about 10.30pm when the announcement was made over the tannoy.

‘There were a lot of people very upset – one woman burst into tears.

‘We had been checking the news and thought we were just inside the midnight deadline.

We have managed to book into a Travelodge for a couple of nights. We can’t leave the area and don’t know when we can get back to France.’

The cancelled service also left 40 freight vehicles onboard stuck in the UK.

Brittany Ferries was only made aware that last night’s journey couldn’t go ahead after boarding had taken place, according to a spokesman for the business.

He said: ‘Only once loading was complete and the ship was ready to depart did we receive information that the ship no longer had clearance from the French authorities to disembark passengers in Caen on Monday morning.

‘The ship therefore remained in Portsmouth overnight with passengers using the ship as a floating hotel.

‘We are very sorry for the inconvenience to our passengers, but unfortunately we received very late notice that the ship would be unable to dock in France.

‘We are still operating services carrying unaccompanied freight vehicles from Portsmouth to France, and all passengers and freight from France to the UK. Services to and from Spain are currently operating as normal.

‘We are very sorry to all our customers who have been affected and are contacting them.’

Cancelled Brittany Ferries services include last night’s 10.45pm sailing, today’s services at 8.00am, 2.45pm and 11pm, as well as tomorrow’s 8.15am and 3.15pm journeys.

Passengers whose sailings will not go ahead will receive a full refund or alternative travel arrangements, according to the company.

Portsmouth Port said it was only accepting freight with a valid Brittany Ferries booking, and that only unaccompanied freight has permission to travel.

It does not affect freight to Spain or the Channel Islands.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/transport/brittany-ferries-cancels-services-due-covid-travel-restrictions-hundreds-passengers-left-stranded-portsmouth-3074611

• Thanks 2
42 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Cancelled Brittany Ferries services include last night’s 10.45pm sailing, today’s services at 8.00am, 2.45pm and 11pm, as well as tomorrow’s 8.15am and 3.15pm journeys.

That presumably is rubbish as the 08:00 sailed & I imagine that the others will also do in unaccompanied freight mode  & allowing inbound freight and passenger travel. This and the possible Brexit impact on drivers just highlights the importance of more and more unaccompanied freight which will mainly work for the bigger freight companies with multiple bases.

20 minutes ago, David Williams said:

That presumably is rubbish as the 08:00 sailed & I imagine that the others will also do in unaccompanied freight mode  & allowing inbound freight and passenger travel. This and the possible Brexit impact on drivers just highlights the importance of more and more unaccompanied freight which will mainly work for the bigger freight companies with multiple bases.

The Portsmouth News obviously don't realise that Armorique is sailing in freight mode but it is still true in a way. Freight Drivers would have had their crossings cancelled. Normandie is still due to sail this afternoon too.

6 minutes ago, SRN4 said:

I am booked on Galicia tonight which seems to be still running. I wished I had booked Caen for my return today, would have had excuse to stay longer...

BF appear to be waiving amendment fees for changes right now so there is still time to cancel and stay on if you want.

Ed

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's rather presumptuous of them. 😉

Ed

Spanish and residents of Spain are allowed to travel ,everything is unraveling before us all.nightmare scenario for everybody involved.stay safe

BF in Ouistreham featured on F3 News this evening. There were images of the deserted terminal building and a somewhat rusty-looking Armorique arriving from Portsmouth. J M ROUE was given a few seconds' air time to explain that the new travel ban would only make an already difficult situation worse.

Ed

Ship has sailed...

Well Galicia is big with 70s style fake wood panelling. Some life boat stuff in Chinese. Hope it lasts longer than the cheap drill bits I bought. 

I did think about rebooking Cabin Boy, but I would not have had plausible deniability and would have been in trouble if I had been found out!

Galicia is interesting so far. Plate of chips is now £4.85... self service restaurant is quite small (they be regretting that bit of design now we have COVID). But quite like the ship so far.

• Haha 2

Now I am really confused, the exhibition area is bigger than the restaurant serving area. No place for entertainment, tons of seating areas, but only one till in the self service restaurant. Lots of TVs and show photos. 

We have heaved to about 10-15 miles from the coast. Holding position. I guess this is so we do not get to Portsmouth too early. I wondered why I managed to watch a whole film on Netflix with out losing phone signal.

I sense that in a year or two they will need to refit one of these large lounge places into another restaurant. A lot of open space which is nice in some ways, but seems wasted when food areas are extremely small.

well I am too tight to pay for a cabin so best go find somewhere to sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gareth unpinned this topic
  • Gareth locked this topic