SAILING UPDATES: 2020 Latest News

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son wanted to see the Pont Aven come in and we hung around for the Connemara too. The Pont Aven even gave a blast of the horn as he waved from the round tower. 

Can I just say that’s terrible news about your wife - I for one would like to pass on heartfelt thoughts to you both as I’m sure other Enthusiasts will as well.... Chris

When did they install that massive bird on the mast? Is that to scare the hell out of the seagulls and stop them from pooping on the poop deck?! 😉

Posted Images

2 hours ago, IanN said:

When I mentioned the Pont Aven cancellations it seemed she said it has nothing to do with the Spanish situation! would not say anymore.

I spoke to someone who works on PA this afternoon, he said it is to do with the Spain situation.

It would appear that the French Prime Minister has just announced the closure of shops (except for food shops and pharmacies), restaurants, theatres and cinemas. This may increase cancellations of ferry bookings even further, once would-be visitors realise they will not be able to find places to eat. One really has to feel for BF, and indeed all the passenger transport companies and the tourist industry in general 

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

From what I’ve read it well could be the peak of the virus .

Neil very surprised you say that,was the papers you have read a couple of weeks old?this is just the start of things Iam afraid to say,I wish what you say is correct but only time will tell.

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

I think Pont Aven, Etretat and Kerry are cancelled.  Main reason publicly stated is planning to maintain services using an assumed smaller crew availability.  I guess PA is quite crew-heavy but that certainly does not explain the Vissentinis.  I do wonder whether, behind the scenes, there may also be a factor that PA is not ready to return to service.

Kerry will  continue to operate Bilbao-Rosslare but in freight only mode according to https://www.niferry.co.uk/pr-brittany-ferries-confirms-immediate-changes-to-ferry-schedules/  

Nothing beats a bit of speculation, anecdote and rumour.  On a motorhome forum yesterday someone asked if anyone had heard that France was going to close its borders.  Mais ouie, bien sur, said I, a Mr Macron phoned me up this morning to tell me the borders would be closing in a day or two to all tourists, so forget that trip you've planned for May Monsieur Auchmill.  Merci, I said, thanks for giving me the tip before you made any official announcement.  Pas un problem, said he, I'll keep in touch.

Edited by Guest
4 minutes ago, auchmill said:

Nothing beats a bit of speculation, anecdote and rumour.  On a motorhome forum yesterday someone asked if anyone had heard that France was going to close its borders.  Mais ouie, bien sur, said I, a Mr Macron phoned me up this morning to tell me it the borders would be closing in a day or two to all tourists, so forget that trip you've planned for May.  Merci, I said, thanks for giving me the tip before you made any official announcement.  Pas un problem, said he, I'll keep in touch.

Are you sure it was the real Mr Macron? There have been a number of fake calls recently. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51842898

Ed

Presumably Pont Aven will stay in Cherbourg then?

I wonder if they might reduce Caen down to one ship a day in due course?

At least the cost of oil has dropped a bit, brings some of the running costs down, especially for Bretagne.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Presumably Pont Aven will stay in Cherbourg then?

I wonder if they might reduce Caen down to one ship a day in due course?

At least the cost of oil has dropped a bit, brings some of the running costs down, especially for Bretagne.

Presumably there won’t be any ships running, well apart from freight services.

13 hours ago, cvabishop said:

You may find a month will be too short!

Agreed but had to pick some dates. Will move it again if we have to. The hotels are great though we can keep moving these with no charge.

As an aside can the booking be amended into next year as we already have another booking for September

9 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

I think you'll find that companies like BF negotiate their fuel costs a year in advance on the wholesale market so unfortunately the drop won't actually make any difference to their current running costs. Ed. 

• Like 1

I can’t believe that BF are still allowing Cap to sail to Bilbao tonight with the current situation in Spain , I would have thought if it does sail it should be to get Spanish nationals home and UK citizens home and only that .

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I can’t believe that BF are still allowing Cap to sail to Bilbao tonight with the current situation in Spain , I would have thought if it does sail it should be to get Spanish nationals home and UK citizens home and only that .

To that it would have to sail to Spain .

1 minute ago, Chef said:

To that it would have to sail to Spain .

That’s what I said if it does sail it should be to get the relevant nationals home both ways.

Just picked up on a caravanning website that some down on the Costa del Sol are now describing themselves as hostages of the Spanish. They are confined to their campsite, everything is closed. You can apparantly only use your car for specified purposes and the Police are everywhere enforcing it. He has had a message from BF cancelling his Pont Aven sailing on the 6th April back to the UK. They are offering a refund but no offer to re schedule. So she seems stuck in Cherbourg for quite a while.

Interesting that Jet2 are suspending Paris until the 26th April, makes sense as an interim measure. BF will have to keep some ships going for freight - maybe we will end up with just the tunnel open for limited passenger use where justified.

22 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I spoke to someone who works on PA this afternoon, he said it is to do with the Spain situation.

My understanding is that it is a combination of crew numbers, destinations served and their alternatives.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Whilst staying neutral on the main topic

Now let’s see, remind me what that is.....something to do with Sailings Updates isn’t it! 🤣

Chill everyone - this is a ferry enthusiasts (that’s all of us) forum! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Brittany Ferries sailing to Spain tonight (Sunday 15 March) – advice to passengers

15th March 2020

Brittany ferries confirms that its sailing on Cap Finistère from Portsmouth to Bilbao tonight will depart as planned at 23:00.

All 400 passengers are being contacted in advance. They will be given further advice when they arrive at check-in terminals in Portsmouth port. They will be told that they should not travel unless it is essential. Full refunds will be given.

For those that choose to travel, Brittany ferries is reiterating that return passenger services (Spain-UK) will cease very shortly, and will not re-start until April 9th at the earliest.

Passengers sailing tonight (Portsmouth-Bilbao) will therefore not be able to return with Brittany Ferries, if they change their minds en-route or upon arrival into Spain.

Today’s sailing  is therefore the last UK-Spain passenger service until further notice. All customers are advised to consult the Foreign and commonwealth office before travelling. Link here:  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

Brittany Ferries would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience. And also for delays to call centre response times. The company is dealing with unprecedented volumes of enquiries at this difficult time. Please do bear with us.

• Like 3