Sign in to follow this  
hf_uk

Pont Aven fix

So, PA does her last St Malo crossing tonight. Presumably, then she is off to have her shiny new engine fitted? Does anyone know if BF have taken delivery of it?

Should be some interesting pics I hope. Be a good opportunistic time to give her a real spruce up too in other areas. 

Jonno may be able to comment, but having an entirely new engine should potentially be beneficial in terms of speed and efficiency somewhat on how she previously performed on all 4 (aging) engines?
In theory, could she have an improved speed, flat out? Would the Captain decide to run the new engine full-time now, and leave one of the others to have a rest, when she is operating on only 2 or 3 for example?

2 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

So, PA does her last St Malo crossing tonight. Presumably, then she is off to have her shiny new engine fitted? Does anyone know if BF have taken delivery of it?

Should be some interesting pics I hope. Be a good opportunistic time to give her a real spruce up too in other areas. 

Jonno may be able to comment, but having an entirely new engine should potentially be beneficial in terms of speed and efficiency somewhat on how she previously performed on all 4 (aging) engines?
In theory, could she have an improved speed, flat out? Would the Captain decide to run the new engine full-time now, and leave one of the others to have a rest, when she is operating on only 2 or 3 for example?

Yes, St Malo tonight then possibly Cherbourg before heading to Gdansk. She should be there sometime next week. I've been told that the engine will be built and tested on site, not sure how true that is. I'm not aware that they will cut holes in the ship.

If you replace like for like there won’t be much of a difference plus there’s no difference to her timetable so it’s irrelevant, they could improve her internal layout a lot in the timescale that she’s in for the engine swap but I suspect they will do next to nothing. 

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 1

Next to nothing is a good idea Neil. I recall a couple of times Gdansk have beggared the rudder controls (was on her once when she limped/was tugged into Pompey.