martijon

Wightlink refit timetable

13 hours ago, bekkia said:

You are so negative! Relax and live a little. Times have changed!

Not negative, facts of situations. Look at the amount of new temporary timetables this Winter with less sailings than originally advertised. 2 boats every 150 minutes. Cancellations due to staff shortages. Vessels pulled at the last minute. Downstairs cafe area being used but lack of seating and broken dirty seats that are like temporary venue seats bolted together. They spent loads on upgrading yet leave spacious  upstairs closed. It's much more suited than downstairs and so downstairs should be closed in Winter as it adds negatively to the passenger experience having to stand and drink your coffee. These are not things that cannot he solved fairly easily but will have major positive affect.

7 hours ago, adicat said:

Not negative, facts of situations. Look at the amount of new temporary timetables this Winter with less sailings than originally advertised. 2 boats every 150 minutes. Cancellations due to staff shortages. Vessels pulled at the last minute. Downstairs cafe area being used but lack of seating and broken dirty seats that are like temporary venue seats bolted together. They spent loads on upgrading yet leave spacious  upstairs closed. It's much more suited than downstairs and so downstairs should be closed in Winter as it adds negatively to the passenger experience having to stand and drink your coffee. These are not things that cannot he solved fairly easily but will have major positive affect.

Yeah and regular travellers will know that things aren't ideal. But you point out every little thing with a heap of criticism and I can't remember the last time I read any praise from you for anything.

• Thanks 1

Last crossings Lymington Yarmouth canx today. No reason given on status page. 

2 hours ago, bekkia said:

Yeah and regular travellers will know that things aren't ideal. But you point out every little thing with a heap of criticism and I can't remember the last time I read any praise from you for anything.

I praised the new double loading and building as was needed. When people in service industries advertise something and then quite often it is not available you don't go back. However, there is not a lot of choice in respect of travel to IOW so it's lump it. 

Railways and buses are suppose to be privatised but there are only about 4 bus and rail companies so no choice for most. Therefore i expect top of their game else they are getting away with it with no recourse.

14 hours ago, adicat said:

I praised the new double loading and building as was needed. When people in service industries advertise something and then quite often it is not available you don't go back. However, there is not a lot of choice in respect of travel to IOW so it's lump it. 

Railways and buses are suppose to be privatised but there are only about 4 bus and rail companies so no choice for most. Therefore i expect top of their game else they are getting away with it with no recourse.

Well let's look at the facts shall we.....

You praised the new DD loading and new building (how long ago was that....?) but since then you have persistently picked fault with what ships run on which crossings, what gets loaded in what order, reasons for cancellations, quality of facilities etc. So yes, I apologize, you did praise something some time back but then have persistently found fault and issued criticism from that point forward. 😉

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, adicat said:

Also with regards to privatisation and lack of choice, 3 companies serving the IOW across 6 routes, most towns have 2 bus companies serving it them (e.g. First and Go Ahead or Stagecoach), it's only really trains where there is a complete monopoly in some towns.

Sorry, disagree. My town has First Bus only. You only get 2 in cities and usually outside the city the buses go different ways so no choice. You say regular travellers know it's not ideal. They must be getting fed up. The choice to open the lower cafe is a management one based on £. Not traveller comfort. They have self service machines downstairs so that decision is very strange to me. Cancellations/late alterations are far too many, worst I have known. Not hiring a vessel to cover cats refit so hourly during those months, great for daily commuter who find the vessels miss the trains and vice versa so suddenly day lengthened by over an hour and a half. No real show of helping customer there. 4 different style vessels, some not suited to the route and less sailings. Should all this be praised. The whole lot must be inconvenient to say the least to regulars. A lot of people have commented on here about lack of customer focus. Perhaps some of us expect to get what is advertised and marketed, not just words from sales dept.  Avanti West Coast railway who took over from Virgin. Apparently loads of complaints where trains rebranded on a monopoly when that spend does not assist customers. Seat reservations giving 2 different coaches for a booking for 2.

Locally, South West trains the stagecoach franchise ditched and we got a first group/mtr (remember them, they run the buses as well, what a choice) and now they could end up having to pull out. Great decision to award them the deal!

When should someone be praised, for delivering what they advertise. No, that's what they should be doing. Going the extra mile is where praise comes in. Putting up with sub standard service from any corporation in unacceptable. A train I use to get home for 3 years from work was on time just once in that time. Choice, car or train that is always late. Do you think that is acceptable for regular travellers?

The nature of running such companies is complaints will always outnumber praise. I don't think I expect gold plated service, but do expect what a company advertises to us as they spend enough on it me thinks.

5 hours ago, adicat said:

Sorry, disagree. My town has First Bus only. You only get 2 in cities and usually outside the city the buses go different ways so no choice. You say regular travellers know it's not ideal. They must be getting fed up. The choice to open the lower cafe is a management one based on £. Not traveller comfort. They have self service machines downstairs so that decision is very strange to me. Cancellations/late alterations are far too many, worst I have known. Not hiring a vessel to cover cats refit so hourly during those months, great for daily commuter who find the vessels miss the trains and vice versa so suddenly day lengthened by over an hour and a half. No real show of helping customer there. 4 different style vessels, some not suited to the route and less sailings. Should all this be praised. The whole lot must be inconvenient to say the least to regulars. A lot of people have commented on here about lack of customer focus. Perhaps some of us expect to get what is advertised and marketed, not just words from sales dept.  Avanti West Coast railway who took over from Virgin. Apparently loads of complaints where trains rebranded on a monopoly when that spend does not assist customers. Seat reservations giving 2 different coaches for a booking for 2.

Locally, South West trains the stagecoach franchise ditched and we got a first group/mtr (remember them, they run the buses as well, what a choice) and now they could end up having to pull out. Great decision to award them the deal!

When should someone be praised, for delivering what they advertise. No, that's what they should be doing. Going the extra mile is where praise comes in. Putting up with sub standard service from any corporation in unacceptable. A train I use to get home for 3 years from work was on time just once in that time. Choice, car or train that is always late. Do you think that is acceptable for regular travellers?

The nature of running such companies is complaints will always outnumber praise. I don't think I expect gold plated service, but do expect what a company advertises to us as they spend enough on it me thinks.

You confuse the difference between offering praise and saying nothing at all.

I'm not saying you should praise WL for their current levels of service, but you don't need to criticize everything so vocally and persistently. You know the expression...."If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything".

As far as I'm aware you're retired so the issues don't regularly cause you delays in a daily commute, and you clearly live somewhere in/ near Portsmouth as you seem to spend a lot of time watching the ship movements and loadings of the P-F service. So with regards to your points about privatisation, the area is served by both FirstBus and Stagecoach.

A suggestion...for every 2 criticisms you make, try to find 1 positive. That would make your posts seem so much more balanced and fair.

Retired...i wish. 🙁

Don't live on Portsmouth Island so First only.

1 hour ago, bekkia said:

Makes you wonder what state the fire hydrant/ pump piping is in for it to fail like that. What if it was under the pressure from water running at full pelt?

That's a portable foam applicator, it's connected to a hydrant via a hose. They're stored around the car decks attached to the bulkheads in brackets and designed to be carried to where it is needed. It was probably not put back and secured properly

Nothing to do with the state of pipes

Things are still not go in well. Faith put earlier this week and a 1 vessel service at present as Clare out. Faith on hulk.

Clare coming back in 2 hours early. Think because resolved tech issue and VOW 30 minutes late now.