Aiden

Armourique 13/01/20

4 hours ago, Aiden said:

Why has Armorique got a tug with it for entry today 

Tugs are on standby in Portsmouth for the next 48 hours, Tuesday especially. Armorique, Etretat, Bretagne, and Baie de Seine all had tug assistance in Portsmouth on Monday evening.  Needles Coastwatch recorded wind speeds of 72mph (68knots) earlier.

Photo from SMS Tugmaster Lee with 'Bretagne' on Monday evening.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Can’t quite tell - is Bretagne on the berth or underway in that photo?  It looks like her stern ramp is cracked open, so I hope it’s the former.

56 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Can’t quite tell - is Bretagne on the berth or underway in that photo?  It looks like her stern ramp is cracked open, so I hope it’s the former.

It certainly looks to be open by a few degrees. In this photo from Google, which is undated, there are no openings visible from which that light could be coming. Which way round does she berth in Portsmouth? 

https://images.app.goo.gl/scL3BEPPrZbJhrns6

Ed

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Bow-in.

OK, thanks. So is she perhaps being helped to go astern by the tug before turning on departure. I've certainly seen the the stern door slightly open in the past while loading which I assumed was to help with ventilating the car decks. Ed. 

I'll admit it does look like she's heading out of the port but perhaps is still within the harbour limits. There are very few visual clues to place her. Ed. 

possibly coming out of the `lake` with the tug being on the port quarter, it would remain so in case it had to intervene nearer the naval berths and the 2 carriers.

• Like 1

The bright lights on both quarters are where the guys are working mooring lines, Deck 5 level I think, and there may be openings in the recess for the ramp, for vision of same in operation? Someone must have a good photo.

2 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

Though, to be fair, the bit that looks like it's "open" isn't much lower down than the opening on the corner of the boat - is that deck 5 or 4?

Deck 5 just behind the dog kennels.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

The bright lights on both quarters are where the guys are working mooring lines, Deck 5 level I think, and there may be openings in the recess for the ramp, for vision of same in operation? Someone must have a good photo.

There's an excellent set of photos in the gallery.

OK Jonno, looked at those. The ramp goes up flush and watertight(ish) all the way up to and including deck 5, with the tilting fingers above. There are no inboard facing openings, but the open areas each side immediately fwd of the quarters where lines are handled, are open internally to deck 5, and there are two fairleads/hawse pipes for aft warps at Deck 5 level on the stern which would leak light. Perhaps what we see is from these? There should be no noticeable light leakage from the car deck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1