Chalky9

Boarding time to Bilbao

Usually about 70 - 80 minutes before sailing, if the sailings are running to time.  What time any particular vehicle gets boarded is, however, a complete lottery. 

• Thanks 1

Take a blanket or extra clothes in the vehicle with you, even a hot drink in a flask. Our experiences- many- in winter are that you get very cold while waiting. We always seem to be the last to board. 

This is a very sore point to me,last Monday morning we waited and waited then we had to go through the lottery of security check.the guy said what is that in the back(dog barking at him)I said a dog ,he then said is he friendly and I said no but I would get him out if he wanted to have a look.he then said in future have him on a lead and I said he is in the back of my estate car so does not need a leader on.he than asked what was in the back and I again said a dog and below him was a spare tyre.this did not go to well with him,he then said I want to x ray a case ,no problems I thought but putting case through x ray machine he said it twice more about the dog in that time I was getting hot under the collar,I know they have job to do,he the asked where I came from I said the uk but he was not satisfied with that .he asked where in the uk so I asked him where he came from and he said Bulgaria so in common curtisy a I told him.after further checks he then reminded me to have the dog on a leader next time.WHAT JOBS WORTH HE WAS?mind you when waved through we were guided to our lane but were waved straight through onto ferry.this the first time it has have ever happened in my 50/60 crossings over the years.bit off topic but has sombody has said it is a complete farce when it come to loading,so be prepared to wait a very long time but you never know you may be lucky.have a good trip

34 minutes ago, nodwad said:

This is a very sore point to me,last Monday morning we waited and waited then we had to go through the lottery of security check.the guy said what is that in the back(dog barking at him)I said a dog ,he then said is he friendly and I said no but I would get him out if he wanted to have a look.he then said in future have him on a lead and I said he is in the back of my estate car so does not need a leader on.he than asked what was in the back and I again said a dog and below him was a spare tyre.this did not go to well with him,he then said I want to x ray a case ,no problems I thought but putting case through x ray machine he said it twice more about the dog in that time I was getting hot under the collar,I know they have job to do,he the asked where I came from I said the uk but he was not satisfied with that .he asked where in the uk so I asked him where he came from and he said Bulgaria so in common curtisy a I told him.after further checks he then reminded me to have the dog on a leader next time.WHAT JOBS WORTH HE WAS?mind you when waved through we were guided to our lane but were waved straight through onto ferry.this the first time it has have ever happened in my 50/60 crossings over the years.bit off topic but has sombody has said it is a complete farce when it come to loading,so be prepared to wait a very long time but you never know you may be lucky.have a good trip

Every sympathy Nodwad..I know this has been covered before but its worth repeating. This kind of `tokenism` brings security into disrepute. The vehicles to be checked are picked at random and if you ask at check in they will tell you if you have been `selected`..This is just comedy gold..We were on the `invite` list last year and its just as you describe. Looking at the quality of the operatives makes you realise this is not real security. Just gesture stuff. Car full of stuff enroute for SC holiday..First stupid question..Do you have any knives with you..Answer was NO..ask me one on sport?..stumped..The really worrying thing is that no non UK registered vehicles get stopped.I did get them to admit that as well. 

Its a Saga lottery and not BF`s fault, although they supply the car details to port security (??). What they need to do is target, there are enough criminals in and out of the port, but pensioners are an easier target. Just do what you have to, and not an inch more. Such is life in modern Britain

Cheer up guys. You haven't had to get off a bus at the Malaysia / Singapore  border and walk down the tunnel between snarling caged sniffer dogs - with posters saying things about the death penalty being enforced if the dogs take a dislike to you. 

1 minute ago, wortley said:

Cheer up guys. You haven't had to get off a bus at the Malaysia / Singapore  border and walk down the tunnel between snarling caged sniffer dogs - with posters saying things about the death penalty being enforced if the dogs take a dislike to you. 

Dunno..sounds a bit like Nodwads dog did though. One more wrong question and that Bulgarian fella could have been in trouble😂