On 30/01/2020 at 12:48, Jooles said:

I travel on BF 12 times a year, have done so for the last decade and normally eat in the more formal restaurants. Over that time the food standards have reduced and what used to be great French quality in the basics has gone - the bread is now awful, where it used to be superb.

Change the Customer Services Director, Sawdays gain was our loss.

Jooles I travel every week with Brittany Ferries and have done for most of the last 25 years, so am probably in a better position than most to evaluate how their services are faring. I used to eat in the à la carte restaurants more regularly than I do now but my overall impression hasn’t changed - the buffet option is as good as ever (ok on quiet crossings staff will try not to refill food if possible to avoid waste but that’s logical in my book), mains have always been hit and miss and certainly can’t be considered the highlight of the meal - but please bring back the gigot d’agneau!. I have it on good authority the round bread rolls are from exactly the same supplier as the triangular ones but it’s pot luck if they’re warm and fresh or as hard as bullets so nothing changed there. 

You are evidently referring to Mike Bevens who was Brittany Ferries Group Commercial Director, with a remit to get bums on seats rather than oversee the restaurants. Out of interest he left ( as far as I’m aware) because the ivory towers in Roscoff have been slowly but surely regaining control of the company from the UK hierarchy, rightly or wrongly. I know a few of the French back room staff at BF in charge of everyday operations on board and they listen very carefully to customer feedback. Someone mentioned the poisson pané (battered fish), yes it used to be an overcooked, overweight fish finger but for the last few years it’s been tasty, proper fish and served piping hot. 

I almost always eat in the self service, and consider the 2 course option great value at just over £10, invariably ask the chef what’s new and good value and he or she will usually show you with pride what’s been freshly prepared on board.

I’m on MSM on Tuesday, it will be interesting to see if any work has been carried out internally during her holiday in sunny Cherbourg.

Chris

9E48BB24-6C42-4AA5-9EAE-65E80BA4C1F0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

You are evidently referring to Mike Bevens who was Brittany Ferries Group Commercial Director, with a remit to get bums on seats rather than oversee the restaurants.

From personal experience Mike Bevens did care about the quality and service the restaurants offered. When I had occasion to complain, he investigated and responded personally and promptly by email.  I am sure it was Mike who was saying his farewells to every single member of staff, both front of house and kitchen in Le Flora one late December at breakfast time just before he left. In his time he was a good point of contact at BF.  Much missed.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, veryoldbear said:

I think it's called doing poncy things with cheap ingredients.

Isn't that what most "Fine dining" is? Perhaps some times with more expensive ingredients but still doing poncy things instead of making a good meal.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 14:21, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps it was just an old trout. 

Nowadays you can see plumes of smoke rising from the burning barricades well before France appears on the horizon. It's all part of the holiday experience. 

Ed. 

That's not been our experience. Perhaps the fact that one of us is fluent in French helps greatly or perhaps the Écosse badge?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 02/02/2020 at 12:33, veryoldbear said:

I think it's called doing poncy things with cheap ingredients.

Like the current trendy dish of pork belly - my mum used to buy it midweek when the housekeeping was running out! Hated it.

5 hours ago, nottingham said:

Like the current trendy dish of pork belly - my mum used to buy it midweek when the housekeeping was running out! Hated it.

Not trendy here, but come visit and I will cook some for you, squares or rectangles, irresistibly crackly on top, juicy and delicious beneath, with home made apple sauce and creamy sweet potato mash. All washed down with a decent 2015 Graves.

• Like 3

We try always to sail on a ship with a decent restaurant as we have never had a decent meal in any self-service restaurant. However, for  several years now we have given the main dish a miss, asking instead for a 2-buffet meal. We can then gorge on the seafood, pate, ham etc. in the first buffet, then follow up with a hunk or two of cheese and then a plateful of superb deserts. OK, the cost is the same with or without the main dish, but even so the meal is worth every penny. The house Muscadet makes a great accompaniment to the first buffet and a glass of the bar's Sauternes goes down well with the desserts. For us the dining room experience is as much a part of our holiday as the holiday itself.

• Like 4
On 28/02/2020 at 21:27, colin said:

Not trendy here, but come visit and I will cook some for you, squares or rectangles, irresistibly crackly on top, juicy and delicious beneath, with home made apple sauce and creamy sweet potato mash. All washed down with a decent 2015 Graves.

Address please!

• Haha 1